Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Question trailer insurance

I have a question for everyone..My truck insurance company told me that I HAVE to put insurance on the trailer with them as the tow vehicle is insured with them...I explained that I have insurance with a different company for the trailer and they said that is doesn't matter since they insure the truck we still had to have insurance with them, or they will not cover the truck in case of an accident.

Has anyone run into this???? Their insurance doesn't cover half as much as the trailer insurance that we have and it costs about the same.

Would both insurance companies pay me in case of a trailer loss?
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Here is how it works in North Carolina: The tow vehicle insurance will cover the trailer, only while it is hooked to the tow vehicle. If you have a loan on the trailer, the loan company may require 24/7 coverage. In this case, you will have to buy separate insurance for the trailer. In case you are camping, and a limb falls on the trailer, or it catches on fire, or is blown over, etc. If it is hooked to a tow vehicle going down the road, it is covered by the tow vehicle insurance, but there may be limits as to max payout. Now will you get paid by insurance companies? Better get real, most likely neither will want to pay, stating the other must. You may have to fight them in court to get them to pay. Read you policy. After you are through reading it, read it again. Not all policies are the same from all insurance companies. You make the final call, and the burden will be on you.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
I have a question for everyone..My truck insurance company told me that I HAVE to put insurance on the trailer with them as the tow vehicle is insured with them...I explained that I have insurance with a different company for the trailer and they said that is doesn't matter since they insure the truck we still had to have insurance with them, or they will not cover the truck in case of an accident.

Has anyone run into this???? Their insurance doesn't cover half as much as the trailer insurance that we have and it costs about the same.

I really don't know the answer to your dilemma but I can tell you that it should be spelled out in the actual policy documents if you are willing to parse through them. Sure - its all written in legalese with an exotic insurance flavor; but its there.

This is why I have an insurance agent who does all this shopping, combining, and explaining for me.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Site Team

In Alabama it works as Windrider explained, but you need to check with your insurance commissioner to see if that's how it works in your state.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

The insurance on our truck covers any damage the TT would do to other property when hooked to the truck. And that is IT. We need a separate policy to cover any damage to the TT while hooked to the truck, when sitting at our house, or at a campground. We have insurance through two different companies, both purchased through our independent agent. I think your insurance company is trying to take you for a ride and you should consider switching companies.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Here is how it works in North Carolina: The tow vehicle insurance will cover the trailer, only while it is hooked to the tow vehicle. If you have a loan on the trailer, the loan company may require 24/7 coverage. In this case, you will have to buy separate insurance for the trailer. In case you are camping, and a limb falls on the trailer, or it catches on fire, or is blown over, etc. If it is hooked to a tow vehicle going down the road, it is covered by the tow vehicle insurance, but there may be limits as to max payout. Now will you get paid by insurance companies? Better get real, most likely neither will want to pay, stating the other must. You may have to fight them in court to get them to pay. Read you policy. After you are through reading it, read it again. Not all policies are the same from all insurance companies. You make the final call, and the burden will be on you.
This has been my experience as well.

I borrowed a friend's car hauler and while towing backed into the car behind me. (don't ask - I took a stupid chance).

The car I bumped into (less than 800 dollars damage) was also insured by USAA (my insurance company).

USAA initially refused to pay and tried to go after my friend's insurance company until they found out he did not have the trailer insured.

It took two months for my insurance company to agree I was the one who should pay for the damage to the car. Did I mention both vehicles were insured by the SAME insurance company? Lord knows what would have happened if they were two different insurance companies.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post

I have encounted the opposite problem - AAA and another company will not insured the trailer unless my truck policy is with them. To add to the confusion the home owner (or renters policy) can come into play at times as well. For example when the trailer is parked at the storage place or in the driveway between trips it will be covered under the HO policy instead of the RV policy.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia.nickson11 View Post
You should just get both from a single insurance company. In case of a problem they will put the blame on the other and you going to get grey hairs getting full value.
I'm in complete agreement. Having seperate insurance for the TV and the trailer will only muddy the waters so to speak. If there is one thing insurance companies are very good at, it's finding ways NOT to pay out.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #9

(I work in the insurance field) - Liability coverage (your responsibility to the other driver) is automatically extended to any trailer "which is designed to be pulled by a private passenger auto" (which normally includes all trailers). The Phsyical Damage coverage (damage to your OWN property) is a separate issue and all the previous comments are correct.

The issue with your insurance company is "the chicken & the egg" theory - WHICH caused the damage...the motive unit (truck) which they insure...or the trailer - which they do not cover.

If your insurance company is "requiring" the purchase of coverage - it may be in violation of your state laws concerning this issue. Also, if you're a safe driver - I'd shop around - there's always someone out there who will provide you coverage at a cheaper price

Our Shih Tzus are the crew.
Roswell-N-Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell-N-Marcia View Post
(I work in the insurance field) - Liability coverage (your responsibility to the other driver) is automatically extended to any trailer "which is designed to be pulled by a private passenger auto" (which normally includes all trailers). The Physical Damage coverage (damage to your OWN property) is a separate issue and all the previous comments are correct.

The issue with your insurance company is "the chicken & the egg" theory - WHICH caused the damage...the motive unit (truck) which they insure...or the trailer - which they do not cover.
There in lies the "rub". Both my truck and the car I backed into were insured by the same company (USAA). USAA worked real hard trying to get my friend's car insurance to pay for my accident. They assured me that if he had had his trailer insured under his auto policy, my friend's insurance would have paid the person I hit. Had it been MY trailer there would have been no conflict. I would have paid.

Curious that although it was the same insurance company, TWO different adjusters handled the claim. One adjuster handled my end and a different one in the same office handled the "other guy" to avoid conflict of interest. They were having quite the fight about this liability issue. The adjuster for the "other guy" agreed with me that I should pay; while "my" adjuster insisted that the owner of the trailer should pay.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance