Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer Tires

Ive registered on this site not as a camper but as a owner of a Forest River Cargo trailer. It was built by Contential Cargo, a company owned by Forest River. I have a set of Trail America 235/80 R16 that have come apart at 3813 miles. This trailer is two years old, I know one year warranty on tires. It sits indoors, on jackstands for extended periods. It has never been overloaded, 5500lbs max cargo, and I'm very religious with air pressures on the tires.
Im very disappointed in the response and the way I was treated trying to get some answers on these tires. I feel that with all of the problems people are having with these tires FR would do something. I talked with Richard(Elkhardt) in warranty, and he kicked me to Tredit (Deanna Elkhardt) and they kicked me to (JCA Jason I believe). Every person basically pushed me off to the next and said sorry cant help. Is this the response others are getting??? Im looking at approx 2K in tire replacements and I dont want anymore Chinese junk tires. Any info is appreciated!!!
camaro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
Always Learning

Looks like you haven't gotten any response to this here-- most of the trailer tires that I've seen go have been well within the first year. Mine developed a bubble with about 4,000 miles on it and within 6 months. I called the tire maker first who directed me to the OEM tire supplier to FR (Sabre, in my case). We had some back and forth and I showed pictures of the inside of the tire showing multiple bubbles. It was no real hassle to get a check for replacement of that tire (a whopping $88). I pulled all 4 tires off and replaced them with Maxxis tires.

As for the cheap China junk- all ST tires are made in that part of the world. My Maxxis are made in Thailand and the Goodyear Marathons are even made in China. They are the only 2 ST tires that I personally considered when I looked at replacements.

Some folks are moving to LT tires, but that can often times require new wheels and all. Plus their is some controversy to their use on trailers. Those that use them swear by them, though. I haven't read much bad from actual owners.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

With the manner in which you store your cargo trailer...I'd go the LT tire route, even if you have to upgrade the rims...you will definitely remove the monkey off your back that comes with owning ST tires...IMO

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 09-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

LT tires all the way. No china bombs..... I will sell you my brand new 235/80-16 ST tires. Literally have maybe 10 miles on them. My axles are laser aligned and the tires are filled with nitrogen. I always go LTs so these will be pulled off and sold.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer