Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

Trip to Cape Hatteras NC

Taking a trip here this summer and never been. Any suggestions on trip route from Ohio such as bridges, tunnels, etc. to avoid. Pulling a large 5th wheel. Also, suggestions on things to see and do with kids.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #2

So much to see and do, from driving on the beaches and spotting horses on the dunes, multiple light houses, Ocracoke island via the ferry boat, Wright Bros. museum, Jockey's Ridge, I love it out there, you'll need a vacation from your vacation when you get home! I'm jealous, guess thinking about it I need to go plan a trip back out.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
geezer with gadgets

Don't know much about your route (we are just a few hours away from the southern Outer Banks), but as Crusadernoob says, there is a lot to do depending on your vehicle and where you are planning on camping. A little more information will help others to give you better advise.

Hatteras is a great place and we go as often as we get the chance!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
Don't know much about your route (we are just a few hours away from the southern Outer Banks), but as Crusadernoob says, there is a lot to do depending on your vehicle and where you are planning on camping. A little more information will help others to give you better advise.

Hatteras is a great place and we go as often as we get the chance!

We will be staying at Cape Hatteras KOA. Vehicle(s) Chevy Dually and Nissan Quest.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
We will be staying at Cape Hatteras KOA. Vehicle(s) Chevy Dually and Nissan Quest.
That is a nice campground. Do you know if you will be staying on the ocean or the sound side of the campground? If you just want to relax then the pool and game room for the kids, the beach is just a few steps away from your camper. If you are planning to do any fishing from the beach, then you will need a North Carolina fishing licence. So you will be staying on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Here's the link for the National Park Service website: https://www.nps.gov/caha/index.htm

Info on what you can do while visiting. Also, info on driving on the beach if your Chevy 4X4?

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is a must to see. That will be about 20 minutes south of where you are staying.

Chicamacomico Life Saving Station is very interesting: https://chicamacomico.org/

Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum: NC Maritime Museum : HATTERAS : The Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum

The ferry to Ocracoke Island and visiting the village there...

I'm sure other's here will have great suggestions for you, too.

oh, and don't forget to visit the beach

Sent from my Atari 2600
Old 01-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
That is a nice campground. Do you know if you will be staying on the ocean or the sound side of the campground? If you just want to relax then the pool and game room for the kids, the beach is just a few steps away from your camper. If you are planning to do any fishing from the beach, then you will need a North Carolina fishing licence. So you will be staying on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Here's the link for the National Park Service website: https://www.nps.gov/caha/index.htm

Info on what you can do while visiting. Also, info on driving on the beach if your Chevy 4X4?

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is a must to see. That will be about 20 minutes south of where you are staying.

Chicamacomico Life Saving Station is very interesting: https://chicamacomico.org/

Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum: NC Maritime Museum : HATTERAS : The Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum

The ferry to Ocracoke Island and visiting the village there...

I'm sure other's here will have great suggestions for you, too.

oh, and don't forget to visit the beach

Yes we will be spending time on the beach. Will be on ocean side. We do want to explore some too. These things you mentioned sound great for checking out. Truck is a 4x4.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Yes we will be spending time on the beach. Will be on ocean side. We do want to explore some too. These things you mentioned sound great for checking out. Truck is a 4x4.
Thanks
Glad to help out. If you do decide to drive on the beach don't forget to air down the tires before you start driving on the sand. There are plenty of places to air them up when you get off the beach.

Hope you have a great time!

Sent from my Atari 2600
Old 01-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

We’ve stayed at the Hatteras KOA a couple times. A great place. Although the breeze never stops so it’ll be tuff to keep your awning extended. Also another suggestion, if you plan on driving out in the beach , deflate your tires to 10lbs air pressure. We learned the hard way when I drove out 2week Old F250 lariat our on the sand and buried it up to the frame. Fortunately a coupe locals came you aid. After deflating our tires to 10 lbs , we rocked back n forth a couple time and drove right out. Then we could go anywhere. We did this across from the ferry to Ocracoke where there was a gas station with an air pump to re inflate the tires. Bring along a an inflation gauge as this pump did not have one. Good luck n have a great time
chris woznica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #9

We are heading that way this summer with our camping buddies. We are staying at Camp Hatteras. We haven't been there in several (10+) years, so we don't really know a lot of the things to do now.

We are interested in places to eat and things to do, also.

We each have kids that are 14 and 11.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #10

I have a few suggestions..
1.. first and foremost DO NOT take your 5th wheel and camp.. The camp grounds along the outer banks are glorified parking lots. Sure, some of them have pools and cool clubhouses, but your basically camped in a Walmart parking lot. I live in NC and travel extensively up and down through the Carolinas and there is only one campground worth staying in on the beach IMO, and that's Huntington Beach State Park in SC.. AL the other ones are just parking lots.Go in with your buddies and get a beach house.. You'll enjoy it 100 times more.

2. Hatteras is Awesome, but don't go in the summer.. IMO Just about everywhere is miserable down there in the summer. Although its not as bad as the more touristy spots like Nags head etc.. you'll still find decent waits for food and traffic etc.. I suggest doing a September trip, like mid September. Pull the kids out of school for a week, they'll love you for it! All the prices are lower and less crowds and much more enjoyable. I dont know about your school system, but as a father of 6 we always got educational waivers for the week, and would visit points of interest like Aquariums, the wright brothers memorial, etc.. the kids would spend about 20 minutes an evening before bed jaunting things down they got to see and do.. and then submit to the teachers when we returned.

3. Things to do..
Biplane rides (wright memorial)
Dunes
Oregon Inlet (cool to see the big fish come in at the end of the day, more cool to charter with a captain and go deep sea fishing for the day!)
Lighthouses
Pea Island is kinda cool if you avoid Bug Season..

I say this based on being a visitor to the OB for the last 30 years and living about 4 hours away.. (We actually got married at the Currituck Light house!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote