Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #1

Truck stops

Stopped at a Flying J to rest overnite, all the RV spots were full, some taken by big trucks without trailers. There were open spots out back where the 18 wheeler park. So went back there, found a spot in the corner, so open on one side. Had no problems at all and truck noise was not a bother. My question is how many people have parked where the big rigs do.
shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #2

All the time. Sometimes overnight, but usually while we are taking an extended break to eat.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #3

X2. I try to find a walmart or something if I can. If I can't, a truck or rest stop will do. I just try to remember...I'm on vacation...they are working...

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #4

When ever we need to. Just show respect and keep to one parking space unless plenty of room........ Most truckers are great people and we have many great conversations with them at truck stops........ and as has been said they are working we are on vacation.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #5

Truck stops are for trucks not RVs. I try not to use them even for fuel stops. There are plenty of places for us travelers to stay the night without interfering with the hard working truckers.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
Always Learning

Same as above. I prefer Walmarts as my rig isn't a good layout for being functional without extending slides. But we did truck stops a time or two in the old rig. Like you described, we found a corner that didn't have a spot next to it. I was able to open the slides I needed and we slept comfortably for the night.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #7

Interstate rest areas are getting more crowded each passing year. I have never understood the need to run the diesel engine on a truck while parked for long periods but the noise will lull you to sleep eventually. However, the constant IN/OUT of the big rigs make even more noise as the air brakes blow and mufflers rumble past.

Truck stops can be a necessity at times, as are rest areas, but I prefer a big box store for an overnight with an early morning get-out. Noise and activity in the parking lots are still there, but at least I am not taking a spot away from the working truckers.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Truck stops are for trucks not RVs. I try not to use them even for fuel stops. There are plenty of places for us travelers to stay the night without interfering with the hard working truckers.
I would agree most of the time..... The thing that peeves me is when I am traveling on an interstate and try to pull into a rest stop that is overloaded with truckers that are sleeping and filling up the entire rest stop that you cannot even stop to relieve yourself because the entire area is overloaded with trucks... If they need to sleep, pull off the interstate instead of blocking the entire rest area.... I bet that this has happened to many of us....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Interstate rest areas are getting more crowded each passing year. I have never understood the need to run the diesel engine on a truck while parked for long periods but the noise will lull you to sleep eventually. However, the constant IN/OUT of the big rigs make even more noise as the air brakes blow and mufflers rumble past.

Truck stops can be a necessity at times, as are rest areas, but I prefer a big box store for an overnight with an early morning get-out. Noise and activity in the parking lots are still there, but at least I am not taking a spot away from the working truckers.
Long haul truckers leave their engines running when catching some sleep mainly for cab climate control around here (hot). Others do it in cold climate to keep the engine and fuel warm (and cab heat).
I've never understood folks who complain about it. They chose to park beside them or in a lot frequented by them.
It's like the folks who move here and chose to buy a lot next to a farm, then complain about normal farm activities starting too early. Amazing.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
that you cannot even stop to relieve yourself because the entire area is overloaded with trucks... If they need to sleep, pull off the interstate instead of blocking the entire rest area.... I bet that this has happened to many of us....
and how do you relieve yourself if you can't park your truck in a rest area? Can't just go to a gas station like an RV can... NO!

I eye ball the rest area as I am entering and if it looks that crowded in the truck area, then I pull into the car area, and just park by the left curb for a few minutes to relieve myself... I have never had a difficulty with that.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #11
Broken Toe

Quote:
I'm sure truck stops are only too happy to have our money.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I'm sure truck stops are only too happy to have our money.

Tim
X2. And truck stops are for everyone, and thats why most of them call themselves Travel Centers now.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #13

I don't like the truck stops because they are noisy.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
I don't like the truck stops because they are noisy.
How do you feel about restaurants and bars?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Not true.. I have a Pilot/FlyingJ RV Plus Credit Card that I got from Pilot/FJ... gives me 8 cent discount from cash price.

Pull in with the big boys, use courteous practices and never an issue. A trucker, at a crowded stop will pull behind 5th wheels as they know I won’t be long compared to the amount of fuel a big rig takes on.

I use the truck lot for short stops but have never slept there.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck