Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #21
Hob

Crocus,

I think you might find the steel is made or processed in China. I could be very wrong but, the thin steel is a Chinese speciality. The steel in a lot of the pictures of breaks is from tearing the steal not snapping.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #22

It isn't the quality of steel, but the poor design that is causing the frame problems. The frame manufacturer obviously never tested their "design" for fatigue failure. They didn't even use common sense, as any moron would have used a heavier steel tube for the crossmember that the pin box is atatched to on the fifth wheels.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #23

Do you know that most of the Lippert frames are made in China then shipped here for assembly...This info come right out an Engineers mouth from Lippert Frames here in the U.S.

I had posted this info some time ago here on the forum.

Think about this for a second or two...Why have a lot of American Manufactures move to other counties.......For one, Cheaper labor and to get away from the unions, lower pay, pay little or no benifits and get this a big tax break from our own Government. It's all about the buck, how much richer can they get and give you little as possibly. Make products cheaper so you have to buy them more often.

Well from my stand point we need to bring the work back home, but as long as our Government leaves things as they are then nothing will change.

As far as the RV industry, the manufactures are increasing prices and not making a better product, I see the same problems over and over again here on this forum since I first join and to be direct about it is a damn shame.

My Father like everyone elses Father put there life on the line for this country and just today my 21 year old son is on a plan heading back to Germany, he is an active soldier in the U.S. Army, he believes in this country, but it is too bad that there are other that don't, they just take what they can get and put nothing back to make better for the future.

We all have to look around and decide are we part of the problem or part of the solution..................?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #24

[QUOTE=rockwood06;166266]Do you know that most of the Lippert frames are made in China then shipped here for assembly...This info come right out an Engineers mouth from Lippert Frames here in the U.S.

Then they are breaking the Law as to False Advertising I got this from Their website!!!!!

This is where it all began. This is what Lippert Components was built on. LCI has been fabricating manufactured housing chassis since the 1950’s. Fueled by our extensive knowledge of the engineering and fabrication of manufactured housing chassis, we have been an industry mainstay for over five decades. With manufacturing facilities in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Oregon and California, we can be your chassis provider just about anywhere in the continental US.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post

Then they are breaking the Law as to False Advertising I got this from Their website!!!!!

if it even is the case
I doubt any law has been broken
does it say all frames
maybe just a few little facts left out
MM
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #26

That Chinese company bought a company here in southern california. Heres the tricky part? The trailers will be manufactured here in california, and then shipped to China. They will be very small trailers due to the size of roads in China. So Chinese owners but" built in the USA".
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #27

"Do you know that most of the Lippert frames are made in China then shipped here for assembly"
=======================
Mexico maybe, but China? No way. You can't blame every problem on China, many are home-grown.
It doesn't matter anyway, because it is the design that is flawed, and the design is from a US company.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #28

Being a mechanical design engineer I have seen a lot of poor design of the years. It used to be that a high failure factor was built in to a design because of so many unknown factors. But now with the use of FEA (finite element analysis) a lot of companies design and built systems close to their failure point to save money and weight (just because a rope can hold 200 lbs you would not try to balance a 190 lbs weight from it, any bouncing of that weight would snap that rope). I have a 2011 Rockwood and I cringe each time I hit a bump in the road. The frame is thin and the welds are a mess, there is no way that this frame would hold up if I loaded the trailer to its rated capacity. As far as stuff made overseas its mostly poor quality. Where I work we only purchase US raw materials and we require material certification on everything (we sometimes send out samples for our own certification). My Rockwood has a lot of components made in China (fridg, inverter, lights, range hood,microwave,tv....and the list goes on) It is difficult to buy US made products be we try. I also will not buy any produce or meats that are not from the US. If we want quality RV's we need to hold accountable the manufacturers but be prepared to pay more, which I am OK with .
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #29

Just to add a bit more items not made in the states;my Coleman roof air conditionner is not made in the States.Also the faucets, the windows,the inside door handles and the cupboards knobs, and the list goes on. What I found strange the fan motor in my AC is made in the states but on the unit itself it is made in China!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #30

Not everything made in China is junk. It all depends what the company purchasing the items demand in quality. Many of the Kwikset, Weiser, and Price Pfister items that are an USA company are being made in China. They are produced to the company standards of quality. The Dewalt product that you purchased is most likely China produced.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Not everything made in China is junk. It all depends what the company purchasing the items demand in quality. Many of the Kwikset, Weiser, and Price Pfister items that are an USA company are being made in China. They are produced to the company standards of quality. The Dewalt product that you purchased is most likely China produced.

The 18 volt cordless drill from DeWalt that I have is made in Mexico, the company is based out of Baltimore.
The manufacture of DeWalt was Black and Decker and one of the manufacturing plants was located in Hamstead Maryland and that was years ago and that was about 8 miles from where I once lived...So China...No, not yet maybe soon ???? DeWalt is an American Company as well.

American Companies like DeWalt, Kwikset, Weiser and so on all make a "bottom of the line product" but they also make a "top end" as well, the question is...how much do you what to pay.

I don't know if it is the CEO's of the American Companies in China or the people running the operations in the plants but someone is cutting corners and using cheaper materials......which makes bigger profits.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #32

I worked for B&D and you would be surprised on the number of land and sea containers that came from China with Dewalt tools. The head office might be in the USA but the manufacturing is in China for a large amount of the products.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #33

Not to much made in USA you have a Ford and Chev you have part are over sea campers part are oversea to and Canada. GE moving over sea .You buy a candy bar it made china.
ck101999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
yes just what I hoped to never see
units made in China
RV factories here need to keep RV quality up
let us not lose another market over seas
Mountainman

6-gal black water tank in the icamp elite. Definite deal breaker for me, even if it is only 10 feet long. And either a blue or an orange interior. Eck! Just saw a price on a used one (from 2007) for $7,500. So I'm thinking they're pretty pricey new.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #35
Flagstaff 625D Popup

They CAN make quality products in China, but only if they are forced to do it.

You need to specify every little detail for them.

Anything that is not spec'd will be done the absolute cheapest way. Even to the point of absurdity.

Also they won't say anything when things aren't correct. It is their culture they don't want to lose face. You really need someone there overseeing everything.

Also if you ask them if they can do something they will ALWAY say "yes". It doesn't matter if they know there to NO WAY they can do it. Again it is their culture, they think it makes them look weak if they say they can't do something. This has caused the most problems that I have seen with getting things made in China.

"Can you make 10,000 by tomorrow ?" YES
"Can you make a cold fusion reactor ?" YES
"Can you nail jelly to a tree ?" YES

It makes if very hard to communicate with them.

And don't EVER point out that someone screwed up in China. He very likely may commit suicide (really). NEVER mention anyone by name in a mistake.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #36

hard to find that here !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post

made in China.

"Can you make 10,000 by tomorrow ?" YES
"Can you make a cold fusion reactor ?" YES
"Can you nail jelly to a tree ?" YES
reminds me of last year
I was looking everywhere on the internet
for (one or two) special size cigar tubes
some place in China got hold of my desires
sent me a picture of one
big empty super clean factory
they said they would set up to my standards
and turn out as many as I want
for naturally
a very good price
that's what I mean
hard to find that here !!
MM
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I worked for B&D and you would be surprised on the number of land and sea containers that came from China with Dewalt tools. The head office might be in the USA but the manufacturing is in China for a large amount of the products.
When I first started buying Dewalt tools most were made in the US.Then they started coming from Mexico,then China,with quality going steadily down hill.It is so that now I try to get one made in Mexico,if possible,because the Chinese ones might last just long enough for the warranty to be gone.As for circular saw blades,a blade used to last for the construction of a house(using three saws).With the Chinese ones the blades will have to be changed at least once in that time.If they are supposed to build things to Dewalt standards,someones not following the plan.Also for the loss of quality,the price has stayed the same.Dewalt is obviously making more money for lesser quality,and it's a shame because they used to be a good tool company.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #38

Well I guess this is going to be the way of life here in the US, and until the higher ups makes changes we are stuck. It never use to be this way and besides we owe China money any way, but hopfully our government makes the payments on time otherwise China could foreclose on our country and then we could become The United States of China.

I think we all have made some good points and came out and vented on this subject and that is good, but the last thing that I am going to say is May God bless This Counrty and all who stands beside Her
Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #39

what's really going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
we owe China money any way, but hopfully our government makes the payments on time otherwise China could foreclose on our country and then we could become The United States of China.

there you go
using our Countries credit card too much with China
and
just like many of the citizens, cities, counties and states
spending way more than we truly make or have saved
75 years ago one could not get in over their head
today it is all too easy

I forgot how it goes
but someTHING like this I think
charge up someTHING big
and only make the minimum monthy payment
how many years does it take to pay off
was it 20 years or more

we in the US it seems are not even trying with China
to make the minimum monthy payment
we want China to lend us more monies
so we can pay our payments due ?????????

what's really going on

MM
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #40

"what's really going on"?
================
The US is broke, that's what's going on.
The only way out is to devalue the dollar to the point where the debt China owns is managable. That would probably take a drop of 50%, and that would mean that all imported products, including oil, would cost twice as much.
Everyone should prepare themselves for $10/gallon gas, and a lot higher prices for pretty much everything else.
Wages will not keep up, so most people will see their standard of living drop, and drop a lot. A lot of luxuries, including big campers, will be a thing of the past.
Sad, and scary, but true.