Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
Site Team

Used radio any value?

I couldn't figure which forum to post this in... tech, tow vehicles, for sale?
So I landed here!

I just changed out the original factory radio in my 04 Chevy Silverado.
It works as good as new but is just AM/FM/CD.

I swapped it for a new JVC that has blue tooth, siriusXM, usb and understands mp3.

I wonder if my old radio would have any value to someone? I'm not trying to make money off it. I just hate to toss it in the landfill or junk it a the next
electronics recycle event in my neighborhood.

I know if it were me on the other end, I would not want it as new much better (more features) radio/players are so affordable now days.
If it was really old I could see someone doing a restore might want it but this doesn't sound likely for an 04 model.

Thoughts?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

In the old days the first thing we did was "More Horsepower " now the kids want "More Boom Boom" from thier Whatever! Old radios are shelf or trash items! Youroo! !
Old 01-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Site Team

When I was about 19 I bought my first car. I did the same as you and swapped out the factory radio for something better. At the time it was trading out am/fm only for a CD player with a removable faceplate. I kept the original radio though.

Then a few years later I got into an accident and totaled the car. It got towed to a repair shop and when I went in to get all my stuff out of the car, I swapped the new radio out and put the old one back in. Then when I got a another car, I was able to again replace the factory radio with the good one.

So you may want to hold onto the old one if you ever get rid of the truck for one reason or another.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Land of the Midnightsun

Wow CD player ? I thought my 8 track was the cats meow. How time flies
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
Site Team

I hear ya but any replacement truck will surely have a better radio in it...
Guess I'll bag it and toss it on an already overloaded shelf in the garage.

My wife says I have too much stuff. She's right. We were talking the other
day and she said if I go first and leave her with all this junk to get rid of she'll
kill me!! Hah!
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 01-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #6

Those radios will not work once removed from original vehicle unless you have vin of original vehicle and at that still a problem.. Chunk it.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post

day and she said if I go first and leave her with all this junk to get rid of she'll
kill me!! Hah!
I was teasing the guy above me about when he was 19 yrs old he swaps out for CD player. When I was 19 it was an 8 track even a radio with fm was an upgrade. I'd hang on to your original radio. Put on Craigslist you never know who looking for one
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #8

I can use the radio but I'm not sure how much trouble it is to ship. I have a 05 Tahoe that the CD player doesn't work in. I can reprogram the radio so it will work. Some GM dealers will do this too but they usually charge 100 for labor. Cheaper to buy a radio.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
I was teasing the guy above me about when he was 19 yrs old he swaps out for CD player. When I was 19 it was an 8 track even a radio with fm was an upgrade.
I've noticed that I'm on the lower end of the age spectrum around here.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
You're probably right but there are still newer cars and trucks out there that have radios without all the features you mentioned.

Although I'm a lot like you. I have a ton of stuff that I keep around because of those famous words. "Just in case I might need it someday".
Old 01-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:

kill me!! Hah!
You can get a $100 bill out of it or more on Ebay easily, even though they have the security lock function. Any dealer can unlock one.

Chevy GMC 2003-2005 Truck Factory OEM Radio AM FM CD Player used oem
2003-2005 Chevy GMC Truck AM FM Radio Factory OEM CD Player Part Number 10357894 | eBay

Millions of those trucks are still on the road and most owners are really only interested in having the stock one replaced when one craps out.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Op like mentioned, throw it on ebay or craigslist. I personally like oem radios, and im young!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Those radios will not work once removed from original vehicle unless you have vin of original vehicle and at that still a problem.. Chunk it.
This isn't true at all. Anyone that has one of the higher end automotive scanners can learn the vin to the radio in about 2-3 minutes. I do it all the time with my snap-on, solus ultra.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #13
B47

What's this about radio VINs? I never knew there was such a thing. The original OEM radio in my 1990 Chrysler Town & Country went out about a year ago and a radio/audio shop couldn't find the needed parts. They found a re- conditioned one and it worked fine. Just plugged it in.

I never was asked for the vans VIN nor did the shop require it.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:

kill me!! Hah!
Put it on Flea-Bay and sell it. I bet it goes quick.

I sold an old AM Bowtie radio in Flea-Bay for 200 bucks. It was on my shelf in the garage forever collecting dust so I chanced it on FB and made out. Turned out it was for a 57 Chevy.

Didn't know, I'm not a Chevy person and I don't do old cars. Don't even know how I got it....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #15
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
What's this about radio VINs? I never knew there was such a thing. The original OEM radio in my 1990 Chrysler Town & Country went out about a year ago and a radio/audio shop couldn't find the needed parts. They found a re- conditioned one and it worked fine. Just plugged it in.

I never was asked for the vans VIN nor did the shop require it.
On gm vehicles there is a theft feature that requires learning the vin of the vehicle it is placed in if it was in another unit.
Im not sure that a radio that old, and that style has to have it done. I know the older nav radios did though. I program the newer 07 and up gm radios quite frequently.
You just go into the radio module area on a scan tool, and then you go into a certain area and hit the vin learn button on the screen.

Honda has a 6 digit code you have to enter on their radios if the battery goes dead or is removed. Or if you don't know the code you can call a dealership parts dept and give them the radio serial # and they can give you the code (or at least they give that info to repair shops)

I dont know what other makes take or have for a similar feature. Gm and honda are the ones that I've had the most dealings with.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Put it on Flea-Bay and sell it. I bet it goes quick.

I sold an old AM Bowtie radio in Flea-Bay for 200 bucks. It was on my shelf in the garage forever collecting dust so I chanced it on FB and made out. Turned out it was for a 57 Chevy.

Didn't know, I'm not a Chevy person and I don't do old cars. Don't even know how I got it....
I imagine that almost anything for a 57 Chevy is valuable to that car's owners.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
On gm vehicles there is a theft feature that requires learning the vin of the vehicle it is placed in if it was in another unit.
Im not sure that a radio that old, and that style has to have it done. I know the older nav radios did though. I program the newer 07 and up gm radios quite frequently.
You just go into the radio module area on a scan tool, and then you go into a certain area and hit the vin learn button on the screen.

Honda has a 6 digit code you have to enter on their radios if the battery goes dead or is removed. Or if you don't know the code you can call a dealership parts dept and give them the radio serial # and they can give you the code (or at least they give that info to repair shops)

I dont know what other makes take or have for a similar feature. Gm and honda are the ones that I've had the most dealings with.
Thanks - I didn't know that until now. I knew that re-programming of some components is necessary after the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

I guess that I have to do that procedure if the radios in our 2015 Impala and 2016 Buick Envision ever go bad.

Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #18
Site Team

Thanks for the replies! A very interesting discussion and I learned some
stuff too!

FYI- I followed the Ebay link and saw that radio listing but it's not sold...
IF you click the little word "advanced" next to the search button at the
top of most Ebay pages you can do an advanced search! (imagine that!)
I searched for sold items using the key words 2003-2005 Chevy GM OEM radio

I got a few hits of actual sold radios. Most were guaranteed and unlocked and under $100. One used - untested went for $28 plus shipping.
How do they unlock them ahead of time??

I'll have to think about it.... sort of a hassle.... getting ready to bug out....
mind is cluttered.... I need coffee!
Thinking I'll just give it to a member who'll give it a good home and
forgetaboutit.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #19

Quote:
I couldn't figure which forum to post this in... tech, tow vehicles, for sale?
So I landed here!

I just changed out the original factory radio in my 04 Chevy Silverado.
It works as good as new but is just AM/FM/CD.

I swapped it for a new JVC that has blue tooth, siriusXM, usb and understands mp3.

I wonder if my old radio would have any value to someone? I'm not trying to make money off it. I just hate to toss it in the landfill or junk it a the next
electronics recycle event in my neighborhood.

I know if it were me on the other end, I would not want it as new much better (more features) radio/players are so affordable now days.
If it was really old I could see someone doing a restore might want it but this doesn't sound likely for an 04 model.

Thoughts?
Try this; locate chevy forum, silverado offer radio there. They pay shipping.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio