Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
NELA

WalMart camping in North Dakota

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1266116.html

Edit by wmtire: I edited Weezers post and removed the youtube video, as the language was a little too much.

(For those reading this later, the youtube video was only linked to by Weezer, as she had nothing to do with it's content or production. Whoever did make the video, which we assume is one of those camping there, did have several F-bombs in it that Weezer did pre-warn everyone was in it beforehand.)

It was replaced with a news link about the same subject. I think this is a very important topic and we need to be aware of it, and thank Weezer for bringing it to our attention. There could be repercussions from this that affect all of our abilities to overnight stay at Wal-mart in the future.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
NELA

What a MESS! Can't say I blame WalMart for runnin' 'em off.

Check the oil spill around that one generator. Shame on them.

Yeah, I know, the oil workers get a per diem and they get to pocket that by using RVs and staying in that parking lot for free, but they deserved gettin' the boot outta there. They trashed that place, and there were so many that customers had no place to park.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #3

I agree. Walmart isn't required to solve the homeless problem and this could ruin it for those that use Walmart for a quick stop over. What a mess they must make in the store. What do they do all line up at the bathroom in the morning?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #4

It's not a "homeless problem," it's a bunch of roughnecks looking for a place to stay...and spend $. They ARE employed. They should have the common courtesy to keep the place clean and not impede anyone's access to the lot, but if they're not, then they should be told about it. Seems to me that Walmart just cut off their nose to spite their face--I'm sure those roughnecks spent a lot of dough in that store, not now!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
RKR

Wow, that's swift way to ruin a good thing. I have some buddies working up there. There is still a housing shortage and if you can find a place to stay they make you pay dearly for it.
I've been offered a couple positions but I turned them down. I'm just fine here in South Texas, plenty of drilling.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
NELA

I need to say this: My original post DID COME *with* a caution about the language.

Taran,
these people abused WalMart's good will. They had totally trashed this parking lot. Did you not see the huge oil spot on the parking lot surface around the generator?

They essentially turned WalMart's parking lot in to a dump. Some of those "RVs" looked like they didn't even run and were towed there. I use the term RV loosely, as some of them were run-down vans.

*I* wouldn't have shopped at that WalMart if I *had* been able to find a parking space there. No way would I have attempted to navigate that mine-field of trash, generator exhaust if I was a local customer.

No doubt those workers indulged in adult beverages at night also.

It wasn't just the trash WalMart objected to. It was also the "noise". I imagine the noise pertained to the generators, *and* the noise resulting from those adult beverages.

They put a bad face on those of us who are true, responsible RVers and sometimes enjoy WalMart's generosity in loaning us their parking lots for an occasional overnight stay.

In fact, I intend to send the manager of this WalMart a letter expressing my disgust with these squatters (and yes, they *were* squatters) and thank WalMart for the hospitality they extend to those of us who appreciate that hospitality, and respect their property in return.

IMO the foul language of the person who made that video was a perfect reflection of the class of people WalMart was dealing with in this case.

give 'em an inch....and they take over the entire parking lot

Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I need to say this: My original post DID COME *with* a caution about the language.

In fact, I intend to send the manager of this WalMart a letter expressing my disgust with these squatters (and yes, they *were* squatters) and thank WalMart for the hospitality they extend to those of us who appreciate that hospitality, and respect their property in return.

IMO the foul language of the person who made that video was a perfect reflection of the class of people WalMart was dealing with in this case.

I think that is a great idea about sending a letter.

Hmm, this is interesting. There could be repercussions from this situation company wide that affects many of our FRF members who do overnight at Wal-mart in their travels. I would hate for Wal-Mart to institute a blanket policy to disallow overnight stays due to this, which could very well happen.

Most of us already know (but obviously the ones in the video aren't aware of) that Wal-mart doesn't allow overnight camping at all of it's stores, and in some communities, it's against city ordinances to allow it anyway. They do it as a courtesy to their customers (which is smart business), but I would NEVER expect that courtesy to be extended for long-term stays.

As stated, these are workers. I don't blame them for trying to save money, by using free parking..............but even they had to know they were on borrowed time. The caveat of showing righteous indignation, is you have to be right to begin with. They aren't.

I just hope they don't mess it up for the rest of us.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

Taran,
these people abused WalMart's good will. They had totally trashed this parking lot. Did you not see the huge oil spot on the parking lot surface around the generator?

They essentially turned WalMart's parking lot in to a dump. Some of those "RVs" looked like they didn't even run and were towed there. I use the term RV loosely, as some of them were run-down vans.

*I* wouldn't have shopped at that WalMart if I *had* been able to find a parking space there. No way would I have attempted to navigate that mine-field of trash, generator exhaust if I was a local customer.

No doubt those workers indulged in adult beverages at night also.

It wasn't just the trash WalMart objected to. It was also the "noise". I imagine the noise pertained to the generators, *and* the noise resulting from those adult beverages.

They put a bad face on those of us who are true, responsible RVers and sometimes enjoy WalMart's generosity in loaning us their parking lots for an occasional overnight stay.

X-2 I absolutely agree !!
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
NELA

I had not read the article posted in place of the video when I called these people squatters. Nor did I realize there were TENTS there as well.

I see some females reflected my sentiments about walking through those squatters and their trash to get into the store.

Keep in mind also, that the language in that video is indicative of the manners of many oil workers. NOT ALL, but many. So one could surmise that there were lewd comments and whistles, boosted by liquid courage, as females navigated the riff raff.

I'm even more determined now to write a letter to that store manager, commending him for evicting the those who had no sense of decorum and showed no courtesy or thanks for WalMart's good-will toward them.

Now they can use that per diem for the intended purpose. They won't get by with that behavior in an RV park for even one night. Those people are making BIG bucks working there, in addition to their per diem. Just proves ya can't buy class, no matter how much money you've got.

Makes ya wonder where those who actually owned an RV were dumping their holding tanks. And where were those who were staying in vans bathing? In WalMart's restrooms?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Average Joe

I just dug up the video. Almost 2 years ago... I think we're safe from that one. Amazing how folks think that Walmart camping is automatically ok. Nuts....

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #11

I had previously said that the vodeo was offensive and not the proper forum for its posting. That being said, I agree that a letter to that walmart and especially a copy to corporate in Bentonville, AR is warranted here. If that video has sufficient hits, you can bet corporate will, and must, take a look at their policy on allowing RVers to overnight stay. One can only hope that they will understand it's due to the oil boom in ND, and not indicative of the general RV population.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

You all do know that happend quite some time ago (MrJoe was right just about 2 years ago). We only live 3 hours from there and were down to Williston 2 Christmas's ago and the lot was in very good shape. Yes they had a height restricion sign you woud hit with most Rv's and they also have hired security to keep the oil field workers Rv's out. This is not the only Walmart that has a no camping policy, but they justly deserve to have that policy.

I just do not see any reason to get ones knickers in a knot over something like this. Most everyone who travels through that part of ND as well as Estavan area of Sask knows that is the center of oil production and housing costs are nuts when you can even find a 10x10 room to rent. I do not see it giving Rver's in general a tainted rep.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping