Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 05:59 PM   #1

What does everybody Think? I am in a dilemma! Help

Hurricane Harvey has done a lot of damage and I pray for those folks down there. Here is my situation we have locked in reservations for Gulf Shores AL. from the 7-14 of September, the wife loves it down there and we have rode the Harley down there before but now we have a 5er and are new to the RV world.

We have been looking forward to this trip all summer and have planned it out well. Now we are hesitating on even doing the trip because Hurricane Irma is in the forecast and all the rain at this point, we don't leave till Tuesday morning on our 2 week vacation and are considering going north to Minnesota or NW to Colorado, with no real detailed plans.

It sucks when you plan stuff out really well and the weather ruins it. But with that said I really don't have anything to complain about compared to our neighbors in southern TX so I really need to shut-up on that note.

But to all you experienced Rv...ers out there what would you do based on what you see in the forecast? I really want to go to the Gulf Shores in Alabama next week

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #2

It's so hard to say what to do. We had plans to camp last year this time when a hurricane hit us. We stayed home because our house was without power and we needed to keep the generator going for our two refrigerators. We didn't want to loose everything. We used the generator to power the trailer AC and lights. We stayed in that with our daughter and her family. The RV park gave us credit for the missed nights because it was a hurricane. You never know where these storms are headed until the last few hours. I Think the odds are good you won't be hit, but there is no promise. Call the campground and ask their refund policy. If it looks like a hurricane is going to hit, change your plans.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
It's so hard to say what to do. We had plans to camp last year this time when a hurricane hit us. We stayed home because our house was without power and we needed to keep the generator going for our two refrigerators. We didn't want to loose everything. We used the generator to power the trailer AC and lights. We stayed in that with our daughter and her family. The RV park gave us credit for the missed nights because it was a hurricane. You never know where these storms are headed until the last few hours. I Think the odds are good you won't be hit, but there is no promise. Call the campground and ask their refund policy. If it looks like a hurricane is going to hit, change your plans.
Thanks Gator, Plan B is to go to CO. but we love it down there.

US Army Retired
Old 08-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #4

I would not worry about it at this time. Make alternate plans, but wait and see. Good news is that campsite openings are much more plentiful after Labor Day, and the Northern States are really great this time of year.

If a hurricane shuts down Gulf Shores, you may get a refund or credit.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Site Team

That's the good thing about RVs. Go where you want. When you get word that bad weather (Irma) is headed your way, head north.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
2015 sunseeker 3050

What does everybody Think? I am in a dilemma! Help
Hurricane Harvey has done a lot of damage and I pray for those folks down there. Here is my situation we have locked in reservations for Gulf Shores AL. from the 7-14 of September, the wife loves it down there and we have rode the Harley down there before but now we have a 5er and are new to the RV world.

We have been looking forward to this trip all summer and have planned it out well. Now we are hesitating on even doing the trip because Hurricane Irma is in the forecast and all the rain at this point, we don't leave till Tuesday morning on our 2 week vacation and are considering going north to Minnesota or NW to Colorado, with no real detailed plans.

It sucks when you plan stuff out really well and the weather ruins it. But with that said I really don't have anything to complain about compared to our neighbors in southern TX so I really need to shut-up on that note.

But to all you experienced Rv...ers out there what would you do based on what you see in the forecast? I really want to go to the Gulf Shores in Alabama next week

Northern MN is cooling down nicely and the walleyes will be jumping in the boat ( if the damn wind dies down)
enjoy where ever you end up
Al
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:42 PM   #7

Go to Alabama. Just make sure you RV and spouse are heavily insured. Don't forget to keep life preservers nearby and have your insurance dealer on speed dial. Towing a small boat behind your camper wouldn't hurt either.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #8
PhD, Common Sense

Harvey will be long gone by then. Irma might not even hit the US.

Kim Jung Un could drop a nuke on someone and put us on a war-footing.

Who knows what is going to happen? Go on your trip. Adjust plans in the event of a hurricane or a nuke.

Planning is one thing. Worrying is another. Live your life.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #9

Don't sweat the small stuff. In the end...you will inevitably do...what feels right to YOU ! and no right or wrong about the decision.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Harvey will be long gone by then. Irma might not even hit the US.

Kim Jung Un could drop a nuke on someone and put us on a war-footing.

Who knows what is going to happen? Go on your trip. Adjust plans in the event of a hurricane or a nuke.

Planning is one thing. Worrying is another. Live your life.
Lots of good advice in these couple of sentences.
Worth a re-read.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Go to Alabama. Just make sure you RV and spouse are heavily insured. Don't forget to keep life preservers nearby and have your insurance dealer on speed dial. Towing a small boat behind your camper wouldn't hurt either.
Well that's some real good advice, but I will stick to our plan

US Army Retired