Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #161
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Diff. bearing and valve stem seals....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #162

My first was 1960 Pontiac when weather was cold would not go into reverse until tranny warmed up. Had to back into driveway at night
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat48 View Post
My first was 1960 Pontiac when weather was cold would not go into reverse until tranny warmed up. Had to back into driveway at night
Worn out pump seal if I remember correctly... friend with a Ford had the same issue back in the day.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #164
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Tim - I used to work on those back in the day. You're right, it was hard to kill them. But, they were inibody cars,,,,,,

Were they? For some reason, I remembered them as B-O-F. But then again, it was a long time ago...

When MamaBear and I had our boys, I always told her that their first cars would be Chevettes, and that they would get them disassembled. My plan was that they would have to put them together and learn all the parts and pieces, before they could drive. I did not want to get the 11pm call going "dad, that thing that supposed to do that thing isn't doing that thing anymore". I also opined that a Chevette is the safest car out there (even without ABS or Airbags) because it could just barely go fast enough to kill you.

Of course, that plan went over like a turd in the punchbowl. Despite my best efforts, both my sons are complete mechanical zeros. When I finally got tired of doing routine maintenance on their cars, I sent the youngest to Jiffy Lube. He came back fascinated by the fact that they had a hole in the floor with a guy in it. Until that point, he never realized that you had to get under the car to change the oil.And that conversation above was exactly word-for-word one that I got from the oldest one day.

MamaBear still wont admit that my way would have been better...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #165

Great story Tim. Since I owned an auto repair shop back when my kids started driving, my ex EXPECTED me to maintain their cars for them without any participation on their part. (just one reason she's my ex) My oldest son and I do maintenance on his truck together these days; he now truly wants to be knowledgeable about it. ( oh, I meant unibody but my dumbphone keeps trying to resell it) grrrrr,,,,
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #166

DW two boys don't care about outside or mechanical stuff(I don't like the word step-children). On the other hand her daughter had me show her how to change the oil so she could do it while away at college and she has. Strange, but she is very creative...she can talk a pile of crap and make it into something. Interesting to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Were they? For some reason, I remembered them as B-O-F. But then again, it was a long time ago...

When MamaBear and I had our boys, I always told her that their first cars would be Chevettes, and that they would get them disassembled. My plan was that they would have to put them together and learn all the parts and pieces, before they could drive. I did not want to get the 11pm call going "dad, that thing that supposed to do that thing isn't doing that thing anymore". I also opined that a Chevette is the safest car out there (even without ABS or Airbags) because it could just barely go fast enough to kill you.

Of course, that plan went over like a turd in the punchbowl. Despite my best efforts, both my sons are complete mechanical zeros. When I finally got tired of doing routine maintenance on their cars, I sent the youngest to Jiffy Lube. He came back fascinated by the fact that they had a hole in the floor with a guy in it. Until that point, he never realized that you had to get under the car to change the oil.And that conversation above was exactly word-for-word one that I got from the oldest one day.

MamaBear still wont admit that my way would have been better...

Tim
If you want them to learn, don't send them to Jiffy Lube; hand them a wrench and tell them what to do with it. It may take a few times, but eventually they'll learn - some better than others, of course.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #168

1962 Ford Falcon. 144ci with. 1v carb. Cost $250, condition, worn out. Got a short block from Sears, yep, Sears sold engines. Was always working on it but, it was mine.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #169

1963 Ford Falcon wagon....144 ci, 3 on the tree....a real chick magnet. Car cost $300....insurance was $400. Great car....set of ski racks and I drove that one wheel drive wonder everywhere!

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #170
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you want them to learn, don't send them to Jiffy Lube; hand them a wrench and tell them what to do with it. It may take a few times, but eventually they'll learn - some better than others, of course.
Going off topic here, but...

My biggest failing as a father was that I never made the boys deal with any of that themselves. Anytime they needed something fixed, it was easier for me to just jump in and fix it than it was to make them do it and educate them. Of course, it was only years later that I realized that the boys figured out how to play me like a harp. They figured out that if they played dumb as a box of hair long enough, that I would get mad enough to run them out of the garage, and they could go back to whatever they wanted to be doing.

I remember thinking to myself many times that there is no way any child of mine could be that stupid. I couldn't tell you how many times I was under a car and needed like a 9/16 wrench, and when I asked them to get it for me, I got a screwdriver or a drill bit instead. Or I asked them to get something off the bench, and they come back with "I can't find it". Of course, whatever I needed was sitting RIGHT where I told them it was. Both will readily admit that they purposely did that, knowing that in about 10 minutes or so, they would be out of the garage and free.

I'm a compulsive, pathological Fixer. I see a problem, I fix it. Even though they are out on their own (and the youngest is even married) my first instinct is to dive right in and solve all their problems for them. Luckily, MamaBear is a great moderator of that urge.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #171
KnP

I think, the kids growing during the late 80s and on they have no needs. Someone, Somewhere, Somehow is going to take care of them; the problems will be solved for them by some "expert". The elections was a huge "experiment". The younger Gen wanted the easy route, misled/lied in the media with the so called "experts" and University Professors; sure they took the line and the sinker with it.

I heard a lady one time saying. Kids now days are drilled to play safe; to fear any risk. They do not take chances, all have been indoctrinated to play safe. Let the expert solve the issue. Is not encourage critical and problem solving skills. There is always an "expert" to solve the issue.

Perhaps, we will hear very few of then braging about their first beater and how they got it on the road. My 2 sons followed my footsteps. I am retired military, the younger one still in the service, my older one got out after 10 years (blowned by too many IDE gets old). Both, are very independent. They have to solve their issues on their own. Both got cars and worked on them. Their abilities variates, I still the top dog in the garage, but they know how to do at least basic maintenance. My older son's 1st car was a beat up 80something Lincoln and my younger is (still got it) a 94 Geo Tracker. That was his summer project car. He did pretty much all the work with my guidance.
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #172

1st car was SUPPOSED to be an '81 Chevette that dad bought new as his daily driver. It was a lemon from day one & at 100K miles wasn't safe to drive out-of-state to college (in '87)... So MY 1st car (in '89) was a $1400 '82 Civic w/106K miles which ran past 160K w/minimal repairs before I upgraded...

DW's 1st car was an '88 Mercury Topaz (Ford Tempo) w/issues like the Chevette. After marriage we replaced it with a used '92 Accord & eventually a new '04 Odyssey when the kids came along. BTW my sister is STILL driving the '92 Accord w/over 220K miles & DW the Odyssey w/190k miles...

As a kid I mostly WATCHED my dad work on our cars while I fetched tools, coffee, etc. but gained the knowledge/confidence needed to do DIY work on the vehicles I would eventually own. Today, as a dad of 3 pre-teen boys, I understand that jobs take MUCH LONGER when they help, but they learn lifelong skills like work safety, problem-solving, and determination.... I WON'T trade their future for my convenience...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #173

In 1976 I bought and paid a grand total of $200 of my own money at the age of 17 (which I worked very hard to earn) for a 1969 Pontiac Firebird. I was really proud of that car.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #174
KnP

Working on cars before 1974 was a breeze; around 1992 and up got better. In between 1974ish through 91ish they were nothing but junk on any make and model. The 80s were the worse! Mixing electromecanical servos and sensors with vacuum selenoids and carburators with all sorts of actuators. Do not forget the early ECUs. Also, drivetrain, body, plastics and the rest was nothing but junk. What a nightmare was to work on your car and find out that some stuff was metric and another standard (american cars). Was a toss up everytime you worked on a car. Do not mind working on all metric or all standard, but a mix.... come on !!!! No car forums, poorly written Chilton and Hayes manuals, no a single YouTube video to show you how.

Damn... that 80 Honda Prelude (1st car) was the biggest piece of crap that I ever had. Very expensive to fix, badly engineered broke all the time, brakes were the worse component.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #175

We had 2 daughters. No chance they would turn wrenches. I did work with them when they started driving. I taught them how to change a tire on whatever car they had, and I made them memorize every switch and knob on the dash so even in the dark they were able to operate the vehicle safely.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #176

My first vehicle was a 1972 Mazda B1600 pickup. Bought it with an insulated camperette which made for some great weekend camping adventures.
Had a lot of fun in that little pickup.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #177

68 Javelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgearhead View Post
Mine was a 1968 AMC Javelin SST. I bought it from my brother for $300 when I was 15. The pic isn't mine but it was the same color.

Looked great back then...look great now! My '68 was red. Bought in 1971 when I was 21.
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Looked great back then...look great now! My '68 was red. Bought in 1971 when I was 21.
Love that car!

What engine...304....390??

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:24 AM   #179
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
Working on cars before 1974 was a breeze; around 1992 and up got better. In between 1974ish through 91ish they were nothing but junk on any make and model. The 80s were the worse! Mixing electromecanical servos and sensors with vacuum selenoids and carburators with all sorts of actuators. Do not forget the early ECUs. Also, drivetrain, body, plastics and the rest was nothing but junk. What a nightmare was to work on your car and find out that some stuff was metric and another standard (american cars). Was a toss up everytime you worked on a car. Do not mind working on all metric or all standard, but a mix.... come on !!!! No car forums, poorly written Chilton and Hayes manuals, no a single YouTube video to show you how.

Damn... that 80 Honda Prelude (1st car) was the biggest piece of crap that I ever had. Very expensive to fix, badly engineered broke all the time, brakes were the worse component.
I can totally relate to your comments and couldn't agree more. Dodge liked to mix it up. Do belts on an 80's Powerwagon and you needed half the toolbox, metric and standard.
And the electronic feedback carbs with the variable jets were something.
Can you imagine what this crap ethanol blend gas would of done back then to these carbed vehicles?
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:14 PM   #180

1947 DeSoto, then 1952 Chevrolet Business Coupe that I customized, a 1956 Chevrolet Belaire Convertible. Many after that, but those we're the first.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote