Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #21

love all these posts, my fav is the computer tech help people (scammers). they say they are from some computer tech company and have noticed that I am having some computer issues! What make of computer do you have? I reply it's an abacus, to which they usually reply you mean asus. I reply No it's an abacus. They then ask if it's a desk top or laptop? I reply No it's a tablet! Is it an apple? I say there are no apples on it just some red beads and some green beads................... silence, dam they hung up on me.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
It’s a new record …. Just shy of a half hour!!!!

Got a call from Bountiful UT, gentleman with heavy Indian accent said he was calling from Las Vegas and wanted to warn me about hackers and my computer. Asked me if I knew what a key logger was? I pled innocent and said I didn’t. He then went on to explain it to me, during his explanation I often interrupted with things like … Wow really, I can’t afford that, who are these guys, how do you know them, where are they at, etc etc. Then I asked him to explain key logger again.He tried to answer my questions but I think some of them came to fast for him.

He said he was with a maintenance company that was going to offer protection to all the computers in the world. I said My Goodness, how many employees do you have? He said he wasn’t sure but they have a web site (which he gave me). I said big deal, my neighbor has a web site, I’m not impressed. He then asked me what kind of computer I have, so I told him… a gray one. I lied, it's really black. He then tried to figure out who the manufacture of “gray” was. I kept asking him questions about his company. How many employees, is it a public company, does it have a stock symbol and anything else that came to mind. He kept trying to get back to saving me from the computer hackers (he was persistent). I finally told him I had figured out the best thing to do, when he asked what I said …. Not to believe a word he was telling me. This didn’t seem to bother him but he did say I had too many questions and he was sending me on to a Tier 2 technician.

The tier two guy came on and started in with the same spiel. I started in with some of the same questions. I kept asking him how many people worked for his company. He finally asked if I knew how many people worked where I did. I said sure and I even know their birthdays and where they live. I think I failed to mention I'm retired. He blew past that trying to get back to the hackers and how he would save me from this terrible potential theft of my information, bank stuff etc etc. I then asked if his mother knew what he did for a living. He asked me if I wanted help or if I was just playing with him. I said, well geez I’m just playing with you and hopefully have kept you busy so you couldn’t call someone else with your phony bull….

Can you believe it? The SOB hung up on me. How rude!
I love playing with these guys but really two guys for a half-hour. I think I even impressed myself.
My favorite form oe diversion if Im not busy. My favoritr is a business loan. When they ask what kind of business Im in I say “adult entertainment” they hang up. Then I call thrm back my goal is to see how long I can keep them on the line befor they catch on
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #23

I keep gettin calls from spammed numbers..they wnt tell me why they are spamming numbers and hang up.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #24

You have to watch calling them back. Sometimes it a number you get charged a big amount of money because its a scam to get you to call. Get your money any way they can. Happened to DW once!
Old 10-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
They're still doing the IRS scam. I got a call on my answering machine about a month ago. I've probably gotten a dozen calls on this one in the 3-4 years prior to them capturing the bad guys. Apparently a few of them got away.

You still have an answering machine?

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Still have and use. Very handy with a land line! I use that also!
Old 10-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #27

I have an auto attendant on my home phone (Retired phone systems tech). I start the recording with those 3 ascending tones you often hear when you dial an invalid number then say to press 1 if you are a human. The number of Robo calls dropped to nearly zero in the 6 weeks after I did that.

I added those tones to the front of the voice mail greeting on the cell phone a few weeks ago and have been getting fewer unknown call on there also. Just send the unknown numbers to Voice Mail and their computer apparently removes your number from the call list as they don't want to waste time on calls to invalid numbers.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #28

I love shining on these dopes. Got a call on my company extension from Cleveland saying there with some "Federal" collection agency saying I owed them some enormous sum of money. None of the data they had matched, so I started laughing asking if this was Fred's wife and did Fred put her up to this? They demanded my attorney's name so I said it was B. Bushkin who was a partner in Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, P.C. And gave them a fictitious number. They thanked me for being so cooperative and hung up.

I guess they never watched Johnny Carson.

So if any of y'all get a call looking for a B. Bushkin with the law firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, P.C. Just laugh and hang up.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #29
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I usually just begin with "Thanks for calling. Do I have your permission to record this call" They'll answer yes most of the time. I then reply with "Great! You are speaking with Jack Lantern of the Rogers County Fraud Division, and what is your full legal name?" If they stick with me, the fun really begins, but most of the time they go away for good.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #30

Been getting a lot of calls lately for extending the vehicle warranty. However, the calls come from different area codes around the country. The numbers are never valid.

The robo call always says this is your last chance to get this offer. When getting past the robo, a person answers. The gas ran out of the air horn canister, so it is fun to bait them. After listening to the pitch, I tell them that this is the 36th call for my last chance offer. I am wasting your time like you are wasting mine. Maybe if I keep calling you an a__hole, you will take me off your list. When I get colorful comments in return, I coach them to get really mad-if they haven't hung up by then.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #31

I'll vote for any politician to get a law passed to make it a capital felony offense to send out any number on Caller ID other than the actual number you are calling from, including TF numbers. But they won't, because THEY use that practice too, come election time!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Heck, yeah. I don't answer any call I don't know. And I don't need to use a password like you have to with a Verizon or Xfinity-type system; I just push the button.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #33

I have verizon, what pass word? I use an answer machine. They hang up before the greeting is done.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #34
Enjoying Life

My favorite one is the guy who answered a call and when they asked for the person by name, he went into a spiel about it being an active murder investigation and he needed the callers information to contact him for further questioning.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Been getting a lot of calls lately for extending the vehicle warranty. However, the calls come from different area codes around the country. The numbers are never valid.

The robo call always says this is your last chance to get this offer. When getting past the robo, a person answers. The gas ran out of the air horn canister, so it is fun to bait them. After listening to the pitch, I tell them that this is the 36th call for my last chance offer. I am wasting your time like you are wasting mine. Maybe if I keep calling you an a__hole, you will take me off your list. When I get colorful comments in return, I coach them to get really mad-if they haven't hung up by then.
I've gotten a couple of these, too! They urgently tell me my warranty on my Silverado is about to expire and that I need to get an extended warranty. I just tell them "You mean to say that the 100,000 warranty on my brand new 2017 Silverado is expiring when I only have 6000 miles on it??!!?? I've been ripped off!!!". They promptly hang up.

Dopes.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I have verizon, what pass word? I use an answer machine. They hang up before the greeting is done.
My Verizon cell phone requires a PW. My Xfinity "land" line (i.e., over my cable line) requires a PW. My stand-alone answering machine just requires that I press the PLAY button.

And they don't always hang up before the greeting is done. The IRS scam call I discussed in my initial thread was a computerized voice that recorded after my message was done playing.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #37

OP ~ I'm impressed. The best I've done is 17 minutes. I can usually keep them for 10 minutes or so easily. When I get tired of it I tell them "thank you for relieving my boredom. I figured I'd waste your time as being retired I have lots of time to play".
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #38

If they get by call screening, I just ask if they can hold a moment, set the phone down and go about my business until they hang up.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #39

I used to like to get these calls when we are driving. Keeps the ride interesting.
Best one is when I kept telling the guy that I did own a computer and I lived in a cardboard box. After a bit of him telling me that their records showed my computer had a virus he said he was sorry that I lived in a cardboard box and hung up.

These guys need a taste of their own stuff.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywhencamping View Post
I used to like to get these calls when we are driving. Keeps the ride interesting.
Best one is when I kept telling the guy that I did own a computer and I lived in a cardboard box. After a bit of him telling me that their records showed my computer had a virus he said he was sorry that I lived in a cardboard box and hung up.

These guys need a taste of their own stuff.
Used to get a lot of calls offering home security alarm systems. I told them that I live in a tent. Do you install alarm systems for tents?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote