Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Tips and Tricks (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   What's Your Best Single Piece of Advice.... (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f88/whats-your-best-single-piece-of-advice-107178.html)

Wumba 05-02-2016 09:07 AM

What's Your Best Single Piece of Advice....

Thought of this the other day while camping. Seems other campers always have their one piece of advice to pass on to others....figured why not try and put this in one easy to find spot.

Mine is pretty simple, but often overlooked. ALWAYS turn the water off when you leave the camper. No pressure, no floods to come home to. Seen it happen a few times and it's ugly!

:trink39:

Mountndream 05-02-2016 09:09 AM

No matter what happens, "This is supposed to be fun" If its not, you are doing something wrong

This usually fixes the issue :campfire: or :trink39:

Wiscampsin 05-02-2016 11:50 AM

Never lose your sense of humor.

FRRVR 05-02-2016 12:10 PM

Have hookup/unhook routine and don't deviate from it.

bitNine 05-02-2016 12:21 PM

Always do a test camp at home at the beginning of the season, before going camping for real. Use the water, use the hot water, use the heater, use the AC, use the battery, use the water pump, use the toilet, check the drains for leaks, and most importantly, as we discovered last season, check that your battery holds a charge. We boondock, and ended up having to make a special 1.5 hour drive to an RV place that had deep-cycle batteries. A waste of several hours that could have been spent relaxing.

Happy Camper 2715 05-02-2016 12:30 PM

single piece of advice

Do not buy a RV, camper, MH, or any other leasure type of vehicle unless you have average to above average DIY skills.

wmtire 05-02-2016 12:34 PM

ALWAYS chock your travel trailer wheels before disconnecting from tow vehicle........and don't unchock until reconnected to tow vehicle.

Seen a friends trailer roll out in the street, and several others roll off a block placed under the tongue jack. It takes less incline than you think for a trailer to roll.

DSMURPHY 05-02-2016 12:47 PM

I always do a walkaround of the camper and TV when I leave the house or leave the CG. I do a check of all the things that should be locked, retracted, extended, stowed, closed, unplugged and plugged in.

nomad297 05-02-2016 12:51 PM

Don't forget the toilet paper.

Bruce

DreiHunde 05-02-2016 12:53 PM

Remember that for every "horror" story you read about online there are hundreds of success stories you don't hear....because those folks are out camping!!!:trink39:

That and just :signhavefun: life is too short to be taken seriously! :roflblack:

Ba-Busch-Ka 05-02-2016 01:40 PM

My best advice.....Check... Then double check.....Then check again!

Old car 05-02-2016 01:50 PM

Relax, enjoy, and don't sweat the little stuff. Life it too short.

1Texan 05-02-2016 04:15 PM

I always do a manual trailer brake check with the brake controler. Although I usually look at the truck info center to see if it displays trailer connected and the amount of gain, I guess I just didn't look one time about 2 years ago and when I did the brake check there was nothing. I got out and the electrical plug was clicked in like it should be. I un plugged and plugged back in and then had brakes.

Rodney

Oaklevel 05-02-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old car (Post 1182816)
Relax, enjoy, and don't sweat the little stuff. Life it too short.

X2 Could not have said it better :trink39: :trink39:

:signhavefun:

Ford Idaho 05-02-2016 04:26 PM

If you are in a hurry leave the trailer at home.

Skyliner 05-02-2016 09:11 PM

Don't forget the ketchup.

asquared 05-02-2016 09:15 PM

Make checklists for set up and take down. Use walkie talkies for backing so you don't have to read sign language or shout. Passenger side /driver side is better than right/left. This will save your marriage! Finally, learn to laugh at yourself, chances are the ones watching you have made the same mistakes before.

dcheatwood 05-02-2016 09:47 PM

Be a good, considerate neighbor in every campground.

Time-Travelers 05-02-2016 10:03 PM

Make sure your electrical cord can reach the pedestal before unhitching and don't forget to get water if you're not at a full hookup site...

Tanddhall 05-03-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wumba (Post 1182415)
Thought of this the other day while camping. Seems other campers always have their one piece of advice to pass on to others....figured why not try and put this in one easy to find spot.

Mine is pretty simple, but often overlooked. ALWAYS turn the water off when you leave the camper. No pressure, no floods to come home to. Seen it happen a few times and it's ugly!

:trink39:

Mine is really simple: GOTTA MAKE TIME TO CAMP..