Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   5th Wheel Rear Cargo Carrier Help (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/5th-wheel-rear-cargo-carrier-help-125773.html)

Forbes 01-27-2017 09:30 PM

5th Wheel Rear Cargo Carrier Help

We got one of the Cricket Mini Carts at the Tampa RV show and thinking of adding a rear cargo carrier to our CC 36CKTS. At present I added a front carrier on the Ford F350 front hitch that of course extends forward that has a weight rating of 500 pounds. Total weight of cart and carrier is around 375 pounds. Would like some input as to what problems I am looking at by adding carrier to rear of 5th wheel. I know it will have to be attached to frame and have a frame person who can do that BUT what I am worried about is how it will affect the pin weight ratio as will as how it pulls and handles. If anyone has some experiences and willing to share I could use the help.

Forbes 01-30-2017 12:12 PM

Bump...No one have one

donniedu 01-30-2017 12:26 PM

Adding weight behind the rear axle like that could adversely effect handling by unloading the hitch too much.

BandJCarm 01-30-2017 12:39 PM

I would hazard a guess that you won't get many answers because I doubt anyone has done this. I certainly would never consider it. Too much weight and makes trailering too lengthy to boot......not to mention strain on the frame.

Forbes 01-30-2017 01:04 PM

I have seen several going down road where they have a motorcycle or other things on them, have not had the chance to talk to anyone who has done it. That is my worry about pin weight or if I could add water to fresh tank to off set that. Just fielding some answers and getting info. I may end up leaving it on front of truck like a big snow plow lol.

rockfordroo 01-30-2017 01:12 PM

Maybe you should consider a swivel wheel trailer:

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...e/CIMG0365.JPG

There are a number of manufacturers. Here's one:

Cruiserlift.com

Herk7769 01-30-2017 01:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I would also worry about cracks in the corners of the wall cutouts for the slides and such. Axle placement is based on overall length and floorplan so frame flex is kept at a minimum to prevent stress in the walls.

A longer moment arm (from axles to rearmost load) than designed, could flex the frame, perhaps more than the "as designed" wall structure and/or frame can handle.

That swivel wheel looks like it will solve the long load issue.

youroo 01-30-2017 01:47 PM

There was a Big 5w parked along the Southwest corner of Locust & Ring Road during the entire "Frog Rally"! They had a Swivel Trailer attached to the 5W plus the Big TV plus the Golf cart,A Person could NOT Miss seeing it while walking the Rally!:eek: I think they were from Iowa,and were selling them? :signhavefun: Youroo!!:us-flag-waving:

5picker 01-30-2017 02:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Roger,
I'm in the process of doing this very thing.
Difference being, my 5th wheel was built from the factory with an extended rear frame/bumper for a bike/cargo rack. I opted not to get the factory rack as I have a few ideas of my own I wan to incorporate into the design.

When I get the fold-up bike rack part done, it will match the cargo rack platform to give me a larger cargo area when not hauling bikes. (we may not take bikes when we go more full time)

I already have the cargo portion of the rack built and installed and have hauled probably upwards of 200 lbs. on it with no ill effect to the pin weight or handling.

Here are some photos.... The last photo is of the factory rack. (not my rig either) You'll see it doesn't incorporate any full time cargo space. My fold-up part (which will be removable) won't be quite that big but will give me a nice addition to the cargo platform when finished. I just need to get in gear and finish it.

BandJCarm 01-30-2017 02:37 PM

The 36CKTS does not have a bumper.

5picker 01-30-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1410392)
The 36CKTS does not have a bumper.

Which is why I said... "Difference being, my 5th wheel was built from the factory with an extended rear frame/bumper."

No reason he couldn't do something similar off the frame.

Forbes 01-30-2017 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I called a couple of the swivel trailer makers and have some info coming and down loaded. I think that is the way I will go, as Lou stated I am worried about frame twist and movement. For right now this is what I am using, just have to learn how to drive different. It is rated at 600 pounds load cap., the carrier and cart total at 398 pounds so I should be ok. Attachment 128937Attachment 128938

Forbes 01-30-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5picker (Post 1410407)
Which is why I said... "Difference being, my 5th wheel was built from the factory with an extended rear frame/bumper."

No reason he couldn't do something similar off the frame.

Do you have any pictures of how they extended your frame.

5picker 01-30-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forbes (Post 1410411)
Do you have any pictures of how they extended your frame.

No I don't.
The frame is a 6" heavy, real I-beam. (not two bent C-channels back to back like some)
They welded 2" x 4" rectangular tube onto the I-Beam to make the extensions with a 2" x 4" crossmember at the attaching point..

Forbes 01-30-2017 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]128941[/ATTACH
Loaded for transport.

youroo 01-31-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forbes (Post 1410481)
[ATTACH]128941[/ATTACH
Loaded for transport.

Looks like you will Not need a "Bug Gard" but maybe a "Snow Plow Light Kit" and additional 'Air Intakes" for Cooling Turbo/Engine/Oil/and Trans! :eek: :signhavefun: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving:

Herk7769 01-31-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forbes (Post 1410481)
[ATTACH]128941[/ATTACH
Loaded for transport.

My 2008 GMC Sierra Crewcab with Duramax Diesel is very close to my front axle GAWR. With our front hitch installed and the bike rack and bikes mounted; it is right at the maximum weight on the front.

Gas engines most likely won't have this problem though.

Forbes 01-31-2017 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herk7769 (Post 1411119)
My 2008 GMC Sierra Crewcab with Duramax Diesel is very close to my front axle GAWR. With our front hitch installed and the bike rack and bikes mounted; it is right at the maximum weight on the front.

I am safe checked and my front end is rated to handle around 650 pound snow plow so I don't think the 348 pounds of cart and rack are going to be problem.

Herk7769 01-31-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forbes (Post 1411329)
I am safe checked and my front end is rated to handle around 650 pound snow plow so I don't think the 348 pounds of cart and rack are going to be problem.

Having the F350 makes all the difference.

youroo 01-31-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herk7769 (Post 1411119)

His F-350 is a Power Stroke with Plow pack! :signhavefun: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving: