Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Side Shade attachment for awning (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/side-shade-attachment-for-awning-127105.html)

BlackJeep22 02-19-2017 06:48 PM

Side Shade attachment for awning

Good afternoon,
I'm looking at buying a sun shield for my awning. Carefree makes 2 versions.
1- Sunblocker. This is a one piece system that slides in the awning slot.
I have no idea how it stores when not in use. Rolls up into a 17' roll? No clue.
https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree...o=n&action=cfg

2- EZ ZIPBLOCKER.
This one is 2 pieces, where the shorter piece can stay in the awning slot and rolled up with the awning. The remaining piece can be folded up like a blanket. This version is a bit more expensive.
EZ ZipBlocker - Carefree of Colorado

Does anyone know how the Sunblocker stores?

Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

Thanks,
Steve

Redmaxx 02-19-2017 07:36 PM

I have and use the Carefree Sunblocker. Slips into the awning track for use, slides out and folds like a blanket for storage. The zippered version ( I have never used) would concern me about rollling up with your awning, as the electric awning motors are marginal at best

maybe others will chime in around the zippered version...

BlackJeep22 02-19-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmaxx (Post 1425262)
I have and use the Carefree Sunblocker. Slips into the awning track for use, slides out and folds like a blanket for storage. The zippered version ( I have never used) would concern me about rollling up with your awning, as the electric awning motors are marginal at best

maybe others will chime in around the zippered version...

Thanks for your reply. How does the Sunblocker "fold up like a blanket" with that 17' (or whatever length) plastic insert? Is it broken or crimped incrementally for folding?

Redmaxx 02-19-2017 09:34 PM

The insert is flexible..no issues folding up. This link might help..

https://youtu.be/GUyjRSVHC4c

bubbles 02-19-2017 10:48 PM

I use Shade Pro for my electric awning (20 footer). A 4 foot section installs in the accessory slot (held in place with Velcro wrap) and rolls up with the awning and if needed a 6 foot section is provided to zipper to the 4 foot section. Nice product and performs as advertised. Does not cause undue strain on the A&E electric awning motor.

BlackJeep22 02-19-2017 10:55 PM

Redmaxx,
Thanks so much. I didn't realize that insert rod was so flexible. I didn't see any of those videos on their site.
I even emailed them asking the same question as on here... no reply (yet).
Thanks again.
Steve

BlackJeep22 02-19-2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles (Post 1425418)
I use Shade Pro for my electric awning (20 footer). A 4 foot section installs in the accessory slot (held in place with Velcro wrap) and rolls up with the awning and if needed a 6 foot section is provided to zipper to the 4 foot section. Nice product and performs as advertised. Does not cause undue strain on the A&E electric awning motor.

I'll check them out too. Thanks.

BlackJeep22 02-20-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

At first glance this product seems to be more customizable in size. Price seems to be better as well. I'll have to do a bit more checking on mil thickness etc... warranty.

Thanks,
Steve

gmann32 02-20-2017 05:34 PM

Awning screen

Beasley MFG., Inc.
Center Hill, Fl. He makes any kind of awning screen you could ask for!
Near Webster Florida! Always at the Webster Flea Market on Monday! Phone number is 352-793-5055

BlackJeep22 02-20-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Well, after a few emails and phone calls, I found out that Shade Pro MAKES the shades for Carefree and are cheaper. I'm looking at a 19' x 7'.
Shade Pro = $149
Carefree = $195.95

Thanks Bubbles,
Steve

Cover Dog 02-20-2017 07:55 PM

We have a shade pro on our coach which we purchased from them at the FMCA rally in Massachusetts last August. They tell you to leave it 1 foot off the ground and we went with a 6' tall x 14' piece and I am able to leave it in my awning slot and it rolls right up inside. 2 piece with zipper is for anything taller then 6'.

BlackJeep22 02-20-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cover Dog (Post 1426107)
We have a shade pro on our coach which we purchased from them at the FMCA rally in Massachusetts last August. They tell you to leave it 1 foot off the ground and we went with a 6' tall x 14' piece and I am able to leave it in my awning slot and it rolls right up inside. 2 piece with zipper is for anything taller then 6'.

So you roll the entire 6' drop inside your awning?

Cover Dog 02-20-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJeep22 (Post 1426116)
So you roll the entire 6' drop inside your awning?

Yes the entire 6x14 section.