Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Locks? (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/locks-127162.html)

Forge_ 02-20-2017 05:31 PM

Locks?

So my GF was perusing some other sites looking at general information and saw a post about the locks on the storage compartments. Apparently on some (maybe not FR) units the locks are all standard keyed and you would want to replace or rekey to prevent someone from accessing your stuff.

Any truth to that?

wana65stang 02-20-2017 05:41 PM

YES its true, lots of people have the same CH 751 lock cylinders .

SailorSam20500 02-20-2017 05:48 PM

And probably the same FR001 slam latch key.

Keep watch on the RV lock site. They put their stuff on sale periodically. I ordered the electronic entry door locks last month.

Forge_ 02-20-2017 05:54 PM

Ah, thanks for the data. I work with electronic locks and vaults a lot, just not on RV's so I guess my next question would be: Are the locks on the market generally the same form factor? and How hard is it to swap the locks around so you can put a new one on?

SailorSam20500 02-20-2017 06:00 PM

The standard compartment locks are replaceable at your lock big box store - make sure you get the same length and latch, or move the latch from the old lock.
Seems like the slam latch and recent door latches are very standardized. RV Lock says theirs fit "most" trailers. You may need to do a little tweaking because of the high quality builds most units get... :roflblack: I have heard Air Streamers may have issues.
Worst case - pull your unit over to a lock smith and have the existing cylinders re-keyed.

SailorSam20500 02-20-2017 08:15 PM

Turns out RVLock has a sale going this week. Info should show up in your browser when you open RVLock.com, unless you are using Internet Explorer - old tech doesn't support the popup. :roflblack:

BooBoo23 02-20-2017 08:31 PM

I changed all my compartment locks to a ACE Chicago tubular locks like the ones used on vending machines. As mentioned you can change to any style lock but make sure you get the right length and just swap the rest of the associated hardware on back of the lock. I'm pretty sure the door locks don't have a lot of different keys used with them. I don't have slam latches on my TT.

Oaklevel 02-20-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wana65stang (Post 1425971)
YES its true, lots of people have the same CH 751 lock cylinders .

We have had the 751 locks on several trailers. Not worried about theft at all. Never had a problem in 30 plus years of camping :) Have no plan on changing them.

The locks / Keys are the same on many Golf Carts , Lawn Mowers, etc etc........

:signhavefun:

bhauskne 02-20-2017 08:36 PM

RV with Tito posted a video where he replaced all the standard locks with tubular cam locks, all keyed alike. Not sure how to get the Youtube link, but here is the lock company:

Shop