Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Western USA (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f155/)
-   -   High wind warning for Flagstaff - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Kanab - Fredonia - Kingman - (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f155/high-wind-warning-for-flagstaff-grand-canyon-sedona-kanab-fredonia-kingman-129906.html)

MNtraveler 03-29-2017 11:10 PM

High wind warning for Flagstaff - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Kanab - Fredonia - Kingman -

1 Attachment(s)
Shown are forecast wind speeds for tomorrow, NOT temperatures. Stay safe and keep RVs off the road during these winds!

Attachment 133280

MNtraveler 03-30-2017 10:47 PM

Power outage tonight in Grand Canyon Village and some other spot outages nearby.

david_reaves 03-31-2017 07:44 AM

I drove across northern Arizona with my Windjammer last fall with wind gusts in the 40-50 mph range. I would not do it again if I could possibly avoid it. I didn't have a choice then since I had to pick my wife up at the Las Vegas airport the next day.

The best I could do was keep my road speed down to 55 and brace for passing trucks. If I hadn't had good sway control I would have been in real trouble. As it was, I drove white-knuckled most of the day!

High Country 04-01-2017 03:56 PM

Not only did we have high winds in the Flagstaff area, it was total whiteout conditions with the interstate to a crawl. Mother nature's way of playing April Fool with us. Fortunately it melted off quickly but this area is known for high winds in the Spring.

pt1655 04-01-2017 06:52 PM

hidee ho

Like High Country we also live in northern Arizona and I swear you could count on the spring winds kicking in like a light switch; on the first day of spring, every dang year, boom! here come the winds! Most days they don't pick up till 10am so we plan our traveling early in the day if driving on a windy day. Happy Camping!! :signhavefun:

CHICKDOE 04-02-2017 10:16 AM

we live in payson. I went to the storage lot where we keep the rv and there pieces of a rv roof blown all over it. there were a couple of gutter downspouts on the ground around our trailer.

MNtraveler 04-02-2017 10:19 PM

Oh no! [emoji33]

Blackrock 04-06-2017 09:44 AM

Down here in southern Arizona there is a spot in San Simon, Az that when the winds pick up causes blowing dust across I-10 causing zero visibility and resulting accidents. They then initiate a detour adding 150+ miles routing traffic off at MP 352 up 191 through Safford then east on 70 to Lordsburg NM. Makes for a mess in Safford every time.

NMWildcat 04-06-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackrock (Post 1467135)
Down here in southern Arizona there is a spot in San Simon, Az that when the winds pick up causes blowing dust across I-10 causing zero visibility and resulting accidents. They then initiate a detour adding 150+ miles routing traffic off at MP 352 up 191 through Safford then east on 70 to Lordsburg NM. Makes for a mess in Safford every time.

Yep, seen that plenty in our frequent trips on that stretch of road. We just sit at a truck stop in Lordsburg or Wilcox until I10 is open again. That's usually a much shorter time than trying the bumper to bumper bypass;)