Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   You Can't Fix Stupid (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/you-cant-fix-stupid-131107.html)

grumpy0374 04-12-2017 04:47 PM

You Can't Fix Stupid
 
Ran down to Fla last week. Friday, 3 occurrences with RV's involved, proves some people should NOT be allowed behind the wheel of ANY vehicle, much less a huge RV.
I 95 southbound, in Ga, about 50 miles from Fla State line. Traffic very heavy, but moving along at around 65 mph. Traffic comes to a slow crawl in left lane, while right lane is about 45 mph. Took 10 minutes of trying to get in right lane. Found the backup due to a yo-yo in a class c tag axle tootin along at 55 mph, causing left lane to slow for him. Nothing wrong with his rig, just one of those idiots who decides to peg his rig at 55 mph, IN THE LEFT LANE!!! Left lane drivers then trying to get in right lane, causing a 2 mile slow down.
Second occurrence, approaching the bridge at the Ga/Fla state line. Traffic was moving along, and came to a big slowdown, both lanes. Came over the bridge, and there are two RV's, a class a and a fiver, both pulled off the roadway (just barely). All the occupants, maybe 8-9 all togather, standing under the Welcome To Florida sign, taking pictures of each other, all while standing next to the roadway.
Third occurrence, I 95 south, approaching the bypass around Jacksonville to go east on I 10. Flowing traffic comes almost a standstill. As you enter the ramp, two class a rigs, just barely pulled off the roadway on the shoulder. Everyone is out of the rigs, LOOKING AT A MAP!!! They have already obligated themselves to getting on the bypass as their already on the ramp leading off I 95.
Perfect examples of why alot of drivers and truckers can't stand RV'ers.
Grumpy

SailorSam20500 04-12-2017 04:51 PM

What's the old saying? Lead, follow, or get the H out of the way! :cool:

jeffandrews55 04-13-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy0374 (Post 1474194)
Ran down to Fla last week. Friday, 3 occurrences with RV's involved, proves some people should NOT be allowed behind the wheel of ANY vehicle, much less a huge RV.
I 95 southbound, in Ga, about 50 miles from Fla State line. Traffic very heavy, but moving along at around 65 mph. Traffic comes to a slow crawl in left lane, while right lane is about 45 mph. Took 10 minutes of trying to get in right lane. Found the backup due to a yo-yo in a class c tag axle tootin along at 55 mph, causing left lane to slow for him. Nothing wrong with his rig, just one of those idiots who decides to peg his rig at 55 mph, IN THE LEFT LANE!!! Left lane drivers then trying to get in right lane, causing a 2 mile slow down.
Second occurrence, approaching the bridge at the Ga/Fla state line. Traffic was moving along, and came to a big slowdown, both lanes. Came over the bridge, and there are two RV's, a class a and a fiver, both pulled off the roadway (just barely). All the occupants, maybe 8-9 all togather, standing under the Welcome To Florida sign, taking pictures of each other, all while standing next to the roadway.
Third occurrence, I 95 south, approaching the bypass around Jacksonville to go east on I 10. Flowing traffic comes almost a standstill. As you enter the ramp, two class a rigs, just barely pulled off the roadway on the shoulder. Everyone is out of the rigs, LOOKING AT A MAP!!! They have already obligated themselves to getting on the bypass as their already on the ramp leading off I 95.
Perfect examples of why alot of drivers and truckers can't stand RV'ers.
Grumpy

In FL troopers are handing out tickets for driving slowly in left lane.

gloryracing 04-13-2017 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffandrews55 (Post 1474641)
In FL troopers are handing out tickets for driving slowly in left lane.

America needs a PR campaign informing the public that slower traffic should keep right!

DreiHunde 04-13-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glory rcing (Post 1474645)
America needs a PR campaign informing the public that slower traffic should keep right!

:Allinarow:

aceinspp 04-13-2017 07:03 AM

Some states have laws about driving in left lane. It is use to pass then you are to move back into right lane. Trouble is they don't enforce it. Later RJD

LittlePM 04-13-2017 07:21 AM

Back when I was learning how to drive and in drivers ed. we were taught that the left lane was just for passing. My kids told me they don't teach that anymore, and I find that very obvious and irritating everyday while driving.

kenandterry 04-13-2017 07:34 AM

I've got a T-shirt with the title of this thread on it.....but given today's attitude between some people.....I'm very careful about wearing it.

Three situations where unfortunately there aren't enough Law Enforcement Officers to go around.

dustman_stx 04-13-2017 07:39 AM

If the left lane is running at the speed limit then it makes no difference that I can see if it's declared a "passing lane" or not. You're not legally allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit regardless of whether or not you are passing. Most people seem to be under the impression that the left lane is the one that you can go 10 or 20 over the speed limit in and then get mad if someone is in it going the speed limit- to those I say, "you're right, you can't fix stupid." But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.

stevensmith2859 04-13-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePM (Post 1474666)
Back when I was learning how to drive and in drivers ed. we were taught that the left lane was just for passing. My kids told me they don't teach that anymore, and I find that very obvious and irritating everyday while driving.


Same here, drive in the right, pass in the left.

tony5oh 04-13-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustman_stx (Post 1474678)
If the left lane is running at the speed limit then it makes no difference that I can see if it's declared a "passing lane" or not. You're not legally allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit regardless of whether or not you are passing. Most people seem to be under the impression that the left lane is the one that you can go 10 or 20 over the speed limit in and then get mad if someone is in it going the speed limit- to those I say, "you're right, you can't fix stupid." But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.

Despite what you say, some states, including FL as someone else already posted, can and will cite you for holding up faster traffic. The traffic backups and subsequent aggressive driving triggered by a Left Lane Vigilantes are more dangerous than smooth flowing traffic moving above the posted speed limit.

Seasonal 04-13-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy0374 (Post 1474194)
Found the backup due to a yo-yo in a class c tag axle tootin along at 55 mph, causing left lane to slow for him. Nothing wrong with his rig, just one of those idiots who decides to peg his rig at 55 mph, IN THE LEFT LANE!!! Left lane drivers then trying to get in right lane, causing a 2 mile slow down.

I think my state is the original home to all "Left Lane Larrys". Was on the freeway for several hours last weekend and experienced several of them. Holding up traffic because the right lane was too crowded to pass them in. Noticed that several of them were younger and wondered if parents are teaching their young drivers how to drive with the same forcefulness that my father taught me. Kind of doubt it.

mikeysotp 04-13-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustman_stx (Post 1474678)
If the left lane is running at the speed limit then it makes no difference that I can see if it's declared a "passing lane" or not. You're not legally allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit regardless of whether or not you are passing. Most people seem to be under the impression that the left lane is the one that you can go 10 or 20 over the speed limit in and then get mad if someone is in it going the speed limit- to those I say, "you're right, you can't fix stupid." But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.

Well the state of CT disagrees with you, we recently passed a law adding enforcement to the passing lane designation. In other words, doesn't matter how fast you are going if you aren't passing then get over or get a ticket.

Regardless of what you think about what other people do, you are creating a safety issue by causing traffic to pass you in the travel lanes as you occupy the passing lane(s). Leave the job of speed enforcement to the police. The funny thing is that lots of people have the attitude that what they are doing is right so they feel they should dictate what everyone else can do. ie, they are going 2 or 3 or 5 miles an hour over the limit and that is what is safe so they have the right to tie up the left lane because it is up to them to decide what you should be doing. You're right, maybe you can't fix stupid, but you CAN ticket their ass.

Seasonal 04-13-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeysotp (Post 1474727)
Well the state of CT disagrees with you, we recently passed a law adding enforcement to the passing lane designation. In other words, doesn't matter how fast you are going if you aren't passing then get over or get a ticket.

Regardless of what you think about what other people do, you are creating a safety issue by causing traffic to pass you in the travel lanes as you occupy the passing lane(s). Leave the job of speed enforcement to the police. The funny thing is that lots of people have the attitude that what they are doing is right so they feel they should dictate what everyone else can do. ie, they are going 2 or 3 or 5 miles an hour over the limit and that is what is safe so they have the right to tie up the left lane because it is up to them to decide what you should be doing. You're right, maybe you can't fix stupid, but you CAN ticket their ass.

+1, couldn't agree more with this post... Receives my vote for post of the day.

gloryracing 04-13-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustman_stx (Post 1474678)
If the left lane is running at the speed limit then it makes no difference that I can see if it's declared a "passing lane" or not. You're not legally allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit regardless of whether or not you are passing. Most people seem to be under the impression that the left lane is the one that you can go 10 or 20 over the speed limit in and then get mad if someone is in it going the speed limit- to those I say, "you're right, you can't fix stupid." But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.

Here we go again.

It is about safety and NOT creating a traffic hazard. Sure drivers may be exceeding the legal speed limit...but...there are more traveling above the speed limit than there are obeying the speed limit. There are many locations that if you drive the speed limit you will be traveling at a substantially slower speed than the majority of vehicles on the road. Therefore, when 'someone' disrupts the flow of traffic due to clogging the far left lanes it creates a dangerous situation.

Also, it is not up to drivers to enforce the laws. If you are disturbed that some drivers are exceeding the speed limit. Safely pull over and contact law enforcement.

tony5oh 04-13-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustman_stx (Post 1474678)
...
...
But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.

To be fair, this is one situation where it's a Catch 22. I've been in similar spots, but it was three lanes, so I just hung in lane 2 until the bad stretch was done. Two lanes could be tough, don't want to shred a tire or worse, but don't want to be "that guy" either.

5er_tom 04-13-2017 08:49 AM

The laws about impeding them flow of traffic make
no mention of the speed limit. If you are holding up traffic move over. As a general rule, if the vehicles to your right are moving at the same speed or faster than you, move over.
Out west the police enforce it, as they should. And, most drivers out west understand and stay out of the left lane. Out west as in: UT, MT, WY, ND, SD.

NMWildcat 04-13-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5er_tom (Post 1474750)
The laws about impeding them flow of traffic make
no mention of the speed limit. If you are holding up traffic move over. As a general rule, if the vehicles to your right are moving at the same speed or faster than you, move over.
Out west the police enforce it, as they should. And, most drivers out west understand and stay out of the left lane. Out west as in: UT, MT, WY, ND, SD.

I've never seen enough traffic in those states to worry about lane choice;)

dustman_stx 04-13-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony5oh (Post 1474705)
Despite what you say, some states, including FL as someone else already posted, can and will cite you for holding up faster traffic. The traffic backups and subsequent aggressive driving triggered by a Left Lane Vigilantes are more dangerous than smooth flowing traffic moving above the posted speed limit.

That would be a fun ticket to get: "Failure to allow other motorists to speed." :roflblack: Or maybe: "Inciting motorists to drive aggressively." :roflblack: In all seriousness, I get what you're saying. Maybe I gave the impression that I hang out in the left lane when it's clearly posted for passing only, and that isn't the case. As I pointed out earlier, I WILL stay in that left lane if my ONLY other choice is to travel in a lane that is damaged and UNSAFE to use when towing- I don't care if they have a sign with MY name on it telling me not to use the left lane. Otherwise I follow the law as posted. Now, I have seen many stretches that say "Slower traffic keep right." If I can run the speed limit I'll use the left lane sometimes on those roads, especially if there is a lot of merging and exiting going on. Slower, by the law, means traffic that can't maintain the speed limit- not slower than the people that are wanting to run 10 or 20 over.

dustman_stx 04-13-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glory rcing (Post 1474731)
Here we go again.

It is about safety and NOT creating a traffic hazard. Sure drivers may be exceeding the legal speed limit...but...there are more traveling above the speed limit than there are obeying the speed limit. There are many locations that if you drive the speed limit you will be traveling at a substantially slower speed than the majority of vehicles on the road. Therefore, when 'someone' disrupts the flow of traffic due to clogging the far left lanes it creates a dangerous situation.

Also, it is not up to drivers to enforce the laws. If you are disturbed that some drivers are exceeding the speed limit. Safely pull over and contact law enforcement.

So the guy going the speed limit is creating the safety hazard and NOT the ones speeding??? Tell me again the point of posting a speed limit? What percentage of motorists is required to nullify a posted speed limit? Or is it quantitative? Maybe it's purely democratic and requires 51% since you said "more traveling above than obeying?" I'm just curious so that the next time I decide I can ignore a speed limit for the sake of "safety" I can "educate" the officer (should I be pulled over) by pointing out that the criteria for voiding the posted speed limit had been met. Clearly a slew of people running 80 encountering someone traveling 70 (in a 70mph zone) can create a potentially dangerous situation, especially when some of those wanting to run 80 start acting like idiots to get around. That we can agree on. But I contend that those exceeding the speed limit are SOLELY responsible for any danger, NOT the person obeying the speed limit. There clearly must be some inherent danger of running 80, otherwise the speed limit wouldn't be 70 (as an example). So they've ALREADY created a dangerous situation whether there is a slower driver or not.

This does remind me of a funny story: A friend of mine was once speeding, but so was the rest of the traffic. He got pulled over. He asked the officer why he picked him out when he was going the same speed as everyone else. This guy is an avid duck hunter and had a Ducks Unlimited sticker on his back glass, which the officer had clearly noticed. The officer simply responded "How do you decide which duck to shoot?" He got the point. And a ticket.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.