Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Western USA (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f155/)
-   -   Crescant City CA to Grant's Pass US 199 (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f155/crescant-city-ca-to-grants-pass-us-199-a-131450.html)

rvpezzano 04-16-2017 11:10 PM

Crescant City CA to Grant's Pass US 199

I'm looking to go from Crescant City CA to Grant's Pass on US 199 to get I5. What kind of drive is US 199? What type of terrain can we expect?

Scotty33 04-16-2017 11:34 PM

Drove car through 5 years ago seemed ok. Just take your time should be ok.

dalemschultz 04-16-2017 11:48 PM

US 199

This section of N. California to S. Oregon is magnificent! Be sure to stay near and visit the Jedediah Smith State Park. Can't remember if they have an RV Park there. But the trees! The drive is easy, the road is very good and the scenery? Memory making...

cpaulsen 04-17-2017 07:04 AM

Easy drive........good road.....about 2-2 1/2 hours.

Hudgen 04-17-2017 11:57 AM

Yesterday there was a few trees and rocks down from the storm but it's a 2.5 hour drive from Crescent City to Grants Pass I5 area. Have fun . . .

twojump36 04-17-2017 11:58 AM

I've ran that many times on my Harley... it is without a doubt the most fun road you can take on a bike in Oregon.
The road starts off as windy and it follows along a very cool river... it goes through the Oregon Redwoods and continues on....
and finishes pretty flat...
There is the Oregon Caves @ Cave Junction.. maybe 30 miles west of Grants Pass that is very cool. I don't know what you are driving but it is a must see if you can get up there.... longer trailers or motorhomes??? may not be the best option for them but it's a great experience.
Hwy 199 is well paved and is a fun drive.

G.B. 04-17-2017 12:22 PM

Done it several times. Love it. Thinking about doing it again when I'm out there in May. It's spectacular!

paulmcalexander 04-17-2017 12:32 PM

Drove it last May pulling 23 ft. TT don't get in a hurry and you will have a nice trip road has pullouts to let traffic by and most of the speed limit is 55 mph. There's a KOA a few miles north of Crescent City and some other campgrounds close by.

JimMorrell 04-17-2017 01:00 PM

Crescent City to Grants Pass

We've taken this route several times with our 32' Wildwood. Mostly, an excellent road. A short distance has been under construction to widen out and straighten a canyon portion above the river. Not a problem though.From Oroville, CA to Crescent City and Brookings, OR, its the best road...at least for us!

olyfire30 04-17-2017 04:23 PM

Crescent City to Grants Pass

Just took that route last week. We pull a 37 ft. 5th wheel and have had no problem. It can be narrow and cures but just take it easy.
We drove from Vallejo to Crescent City the day before. There were many delays as highway 101 has had many washouts or landslide.

OldGal3 04-17-2017 04:57 PM

Driven it many times pulling horse trailers/stock trailers. Last year was the first time with my Toy Hauler bumper pull (36') - no problems at all. Yes, Jedediah Smith Redwoods has an RV section, but look it up on-line and make sure of the length options, etc. If you are sitting in Crescent City, just drive your passenger vehicle up there for a day trip - the Smith River is beyond words! Seems I've read about an RV park in Gasquet that is decent. I've stayed at Mountain Man in Cave Junction - it's OK.

Enjoy! it's a great road.

cruisegrandma 04-17-2017 05:13 PM

Drove that route towing our 30' TT. Be sure and stop along the highway to pick and eat some black berries along the way. Also Lone Mountain RV Resort is pretty nice in O'Brien, Or.