Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Awnings & Doors (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f228/)
-   -   Awning won't retract without help (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f228/awning-wont-retract-without-help-131645.html)

Burr7703 04-18-2017 06:33 PM

Awning won't retract without help

My awning will extend just fine but when u go to retract moves couple inches then stops. If I have someone hold switch and I push on arm will retract any ideas on problem.

RSchleder 04-18-2017 06:39 PM

Sounds like either you have a defective (weak) awning motor or a major binding in the awning arms. I'd try a good "spray dry lub" on all the moving arm joints before investigating the motor!

Burr7703 04-18-2017 06:43 PM

Ok thanks for advice I suspected the motor but wasn't sure

Randoon 04-18-2017 09:24 PM

Mine started doing the same thing. Removed and disassembled the motor. The threads of one of the end cap screws had cut into the plastic wire insulation when originally assembled. Electrical tape on the damaged wire, repositioning the wire and carefully putting it back together solved the problem. Been fine ever since.

Burr7703 04-18-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randoon (Post 1480227)
Mine started doing the same thing. Removed and disassembled the motor. The threads of one of the end cap screws had cut into the plastic wire insulation when originally assembled. Electrical tape on the damaged wire, repositioning the wire and carefully putting it back together solved the problem. Been fine ever since.

thanks

pbrackney 08-13-2017 12:16 AM

I'm having the same issue

eprovenzano 08-17-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbrackney (Post 1592023)
I'm having the same issue

Same here and I'm leaning towards the arms need lubed

youroo 08-17-2017 01:47 PM

If it has been "Windy" while your awning is deployed they can Sometimes "Walk" down the track! This places "Side Load" on the Arms! Check your awning Fabric for proper alignment! Just a WAG! :signhavefun: Youroo!! :us-flag-waving:

Sprinter2x 08-26-2017 05:26 PM

Power Awning Retract Problems

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burr7703 (Post 1480035)
My awning will extend just fine but when u go to retract moves couple inches then stops. If I have someone hold switch and I push on arm will retract any ideas on problem.

I have the same problem and have seen similar complaints on several threads as well as other forums. I have spent have spent the day investigating LCI Solera awning on our 24' Wildwood. I've greased gears, lubed pivot points, checked awning alignment, and checked voltages. As I've studied the arms as it extends and retracts I'm almost convinced the gas struts are too strong. According to the research I've done they are 120 lbs. of force each. I got up on the roof to observe the alignment as it rolled in (it will roll in if I do it in short bursts so the overload doesn't overheat) and out. On a whim I tried rolling in in the wrong way (bottom on outside instead of top on the outside) and discovered the motor appears to have a lot more torque going that way.