Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   5 minutes at the campground and in the ER. (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/5-minutes-at-the-campground-and-in-the-er-135760.html)

Sierra360PDEK 06-05-2017 05:38 AM

5 minutes at the campground and in the ER.
 
Yesterday I backed into our site at Windcreek SP, put the labeing gear down, climbed on the dually to release the king pin and then broke my ankle stepping down from the dually. Not even at the campsite five minutes. Wife ordered a nice tire step while waiting in the ER. At least I get to recover watching the lake and the wife gets a crash course on how to break down camp and pull the fiver home next Sunday.

Be careful out there everyone and if you're camping have a little fun for me.

Pipeman 06-05-2017 06:03 AM

I have one of those wheel steps and used it a couple of times. I now have a hard plastic two step, fold up wee ladder that I use to release the handle and I also use it to step up onto the Tgate of my dually. I bought it at a hardware store. Just like this one, https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/acb...0&odnBg=ffffffI put it in the back of the truck when the tonneau cover is used or on the floor of the back seat when towing. I also use it to reach the fill cap on the aux. fuel tank. I get the strangest looks when people see me towering over the side of the truck, before they realize I'm on a step ladder. Oh yes sorry for your mishap....it's a pain in the......ankle

Life is great 06-05-2017 06:10 AM

Oh wow, that's not a good way to start a camping weekend. What a bummer.

Pray for a quick and painless recovery!!

n-e-d 06-05-2017 06:12 AM

Ouch!! I feel your pain...Broke my right ankle walking the dog:eek:, added 5 pins and a plate,fractured the left riding the bike 2 years latter:crying:. Good luck with your recovery and rehab, that boot is one PITA:(:thumbsup:

BandJCarm 06-05-2017 06:46 AM

Dang, dude!

Which ankle? IF left one, you can drive!! LOL

P.S.
Reminds me of sitting in a cold deer stand for days on end one year with a broken ankle and foot in a cast, and toes sticking out!!! Miserable....hard to climb that ladder, cold once I got there, and sure was hard tracking a deer! LOL

KyDan 06-05-2017 07:00 AM

That sucks!
Wife broke her ankle on a trail in Big South Fork several years back.
We were about 1/3 mile from the truck.
I had to carry her piggy back to the truck!
Donno if I could do that today....
She was a trooper tho.
A pin and 3 screws later she has no lasting effects. We hike and bike and
she says it doesn't work for forecasting the weather! We use my hip for that! :rolleyes:

ben31 06-05-2017 07:12 AM

Sorry to hear that! I hope you heal quickly and have an uneventful rest of your stay. One good thing, you're camping. It is better than sitting home with the messed up ankle!

dalspot 06-05-2017 12:37 PM

Don't feel bad. Our very first trip ever 6 years ago, hubby threw the electrical cord under the back bumper from the side, reached under the back to grab it and proceeded to cut his wrist on the sharp edge of the diamond plate on the bumper. Came close to cutting the artery. All I could get to was the toilet paper as we hadn't put a first aid kit together yet. Luckily nurse daughter was on her way to help set up. She bandaged his arm, we ate dinner then he went and got stitches!

And what did you get in a step? We are looking for one too.

Capt. Mike 06-05-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalspot (Post 1525597)
Don't feel bad. Our very first trip ever 6 years ago, hubby threw the electrical cord under the back bumper from the side, reached under the back to grab it and proceeded to cut his wrist on the sharp edge of the diamond plate on the bumper. Came close to cutting the artery. All I could get to was the toilet paper as we hadn't put a first aid kit together yet. Luckily nurse daughter was on her way to help set up. She bandaged his arm, we ate dinner then he went and got stitches!

And what did you get in a step? We are looking for one too.


Check this one out from Harbor Freight. Light weight, sturdy, easy to set up. We've used ours for over 4 years and it works great for releasing the kingpin, putting DEF in (GM = under the hood filler), and getting up onto the tailgate of the truck. Usually $29.95, but they often put them on sale for $19.95.

https://www.harborfreight.com/step-s...orm-66911.html

alicemerrill 06-05-2017 01:00 PM

So sorry to hear about your broken ankle. Boy you guys will do anything to get out of work:trink39:
Your wife will do great. I love driving our 41' fifth wheel BUT I too need a stool. I'm 4'10 and can't even reach over the back of my husbands 3500 diesel Allison Trans Durimax Silverado. I'll have to put that stool in the back seat so I can reach it when I need
Oh and I'm all for eating before getting stitches :roflblack:

maryanna 06-05-2017 01:05 PM

Feeling your pain
 
We drove 2200 miles, got half way setup, and DH fell backwards over a rock. Hit his head on another rock, blood everywhere, nice campers called 911 and took care of our dog while we went to the ER. Happy camping for the rest of the trip........

Sometimes life throws in mishaps so we don't have too much fun!

Wayne Joan 06-05-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipeman (Post 1525194)
I have one of those wheel steps and used it a couple of times. I now have a hard plastic two step, fold up wee ladder that I use to release the handle and I also use it to step up onto the Tgate of my dually. I bought it at a hardware store. Just like this one, https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/acb...0&odnBg=ffffffI put it in the back of the truck when the tonneau cover is used or on the floor of the back seat when towing. I also use it to reach the fill cap on the aux. fuel tank. I get the strangest looks when people see me towering over the side of the truck, before they realize I'm on a step ladder. Oh yes sorry for your mishap....it's a pain in the......ankle


I use to use a step ladder like yours. Had it collapse on me twice. Took a couple of bad falls to convince to get something better. I now use a three step metal ladder to hook up and un-hook. I have a Ford with the tailgate step to use when I need to get up in the bed of the truck. Please be careful when using your plastic step stool.

CaptnJohn 06-05-2017 01:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I bought a stool that folds flat at CW and it stays in the truck. Rarely used except to attach/remove the lock on the hitch. Now we have another inside the 5er wifey uses to reach in the upper cabinets.

Sierra360PDEK 06-05-2017 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dalspot (Post 1525597)
Don't feel bad. Our very first trip ever 6 years ago, hubby threw the electrical cord under the back bumper from the side, reached under the back to grab it and proceeded to cut his wrist on the sharp edge of the diamond plate on the bumper. Came close to cutting the artery. All I could get to was the toilet paper as we hadn't put a first aid kit together yet. Luckily nurse daughter was on her way to help set up. She bandaged his arm, we ate dinner then he went and got stitches!

And what did you get in a step? We are looking for one too.

Attachment 140199
This is the one the wife ordered, just wish we thought about this earlier.

asquared 06-05-2017 02:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hopefully it will heal quickly. Not to sound preachy but this is why I am a big believer in having your traveling companion learn to drive your rig and both should know how to set up and take down everything because you never know what can happen.

lesptr 06-05-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asquared (Post 1525728)
Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hopefully it will heal quickly. Not to sound preachy but this is why I am a big believer in having your traveling companion learn to drive your rig and both should know how to set up and take down everything because you never know what can happen.



Agreed! Perhaps you could speak to my wife about it this weekend. She'll drive from rest area to rest area on the interstate, but that's it.

Sierra360PDEK 06-05-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asquared (Post 1525728)
Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hopefully it will heal quickly. Not to sound preachy but this is why I am a big believer in having your traveling companion learn to drive your rig and both should know how to set up and take down everything because you never know what can happen.

The funny thing is we talked about this on Friday, that she needs to learn to pull the fifth wheel and setup and break down camp in case something happened to me. Shouldn't have opened my mouth.

RusLwt001 06-05-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipeman (Post 1525194)
I have one of those wheel steps and used it a couple of times. I now have a hard plastic two step, fold up wee ladder that I use to release the handle and I also use it to step up onto the Tgate of my dually. I bought it at a hardware store. Just like this one, https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/acb...0&odnBg=ffffffI put it in the back of the truck when the tonneau cover is used or on the floor of the back seat when towing. I also use it to reach the fill cap on the aux. fuel tank. I get the strangest looks when people see me towering over the side of the truck, before they realize I'm on a step ladder. Oh yes sorry for your mishap....it's a pain in the......ankle

X2! My truck sits to high and I'm too old to jump. Get well soon.

asquared 06-05-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesptr (Post 1525761)
Agreed! Perhaps you could speak to my wife about it this weekend. She'll drive from rest area to rest area on the interstate, but that's it.

I will be glad to... I do over 90% of the driving and 100% of the backing while my husband plays navigator, DJ and babysitter to our DD. My DH can back if necessary. I can set up the whole outside, hook the rig up by myself if needed and even went to Mayberry a couple days in advance of DH. DH can drive and alternates with me on long trips, does the set up outside but knows the inside set up/take down as well. If she needs encouragement or driving lessons I'm happy to give them. I taught my DH an am willing to teach others.

packrat48 06-05-2017 04:16 PM

My DW doesn't want anything to do with towing she won't even drive my truck when not hooked to trailer. That can be a pain when snowbirding having to take her everywhere.

Triple SS 06-05-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asquared (Post 1525797)
I will be glad to... I do over 90% of the driving and 100% of the backing while my husband plays navigator, DJ and babysitter to our DD. My DH can back if necessary. I can set up the whole outside, hook the rig up by myself if needed and even went to Mayberry a couple days in advance of DH. DH can drive and alternates with me on long trips, does the set up outside but knows the inside set up/take down as well. If she needs encouragement or driving lessons I'm happy to give them. I taught my DH an am willing to teach others.

I need lessons on backing. Retiring in a couple of months and want to take fiver out alone

johnruff 06-05-2017 04:32 PM

I use a 2-step folding ladder and use it as a seat for various things such as leveling, retracting the pods.
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-RM...folding+ladder

pmsherman 06-05-2017 04:46 PM

A few years ago, we were attending a conference around 500 miles from home when, as a result of what I thought was a minor accident two months earlier, I suffered a grand mal seizure while sitting on the RV's throne. The DW called 911 and had an argument with the dispatcher because she gave them a full description of were we were parked (behind the field house of the .......... community college) but didn't have an address for the place. When she was connected with the ambulance driver, he said that he knew exactly where we were parked and that, if needed, we could be located through the phone's automatic 911 GPS function.

The bad news: when they pulled me out of the bathroom, my pants with my wallet (insurance and ID cards) was left in the RV.

The good news: This was a one-time event and I had a full recovery with no long term effects. The DW is capable of driving the rig.

The miserable news: The hospital billed an extra $1500 because the insurance company said they should do that. The insurance company then paid the extra $1500. I complained to the hospital about this and never heard anything from them again about my copay. I also never did get a satisfactory answer from the insurance company about why they told the hospital to bill the extra money.

Moral:
If you get emergency medical care while travelling, make sure you get detailed billing from the provider. Your insurance company's Statement of Benefits usually won't tell you enough about the charges to determine everything you might want to know.

Phil

lesptr 06-05-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asquared (Post 1525797)
I will be glad to... I do over 90% of the driving and 100% of the backing while my husband plays navigator, DJ and babysitter to our DD. My DH can back if necessary. I can set up the whole outside, hook the rig up by myself if needed and even went to Mayberry a couple days in advance of DH. DH can drive and alternates with me on long trips, does the set up outside but knows the inside set up/take down as well. If she needs encouragement or driving lessons I'm happy to give them. I taught my DH an am willing to teach others.



That would be great. I need lessons in backing myself. I had gotten pretty good with the TT, but with the 5R, I'm still learning.

CaptnJohn 06-05-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesptr (Post 1525919)
That would be great. I need lessons in backing myself. I had gotten pretty good with the TT, but with the 5R, I'm still learning.

Never had a problem backing any size boat. Backing a TT came quickly. I still struggle with the 35' 5er and next week pick up a new 42' 5er. Sadly, no place to practice so lessons would not hurt.

Dorrie 06-05-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asquared (Post 1525728)
Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hopefully it will heal quickly. Not to sound preachy but this is why I am a big believer in having your traveling companion learn to drive your rig and both should know how to set up and take down everything because you never know what can happen.


Hope you heal quickly and no set backs.

Now for traveling companion know how to drive and set up: I totally agree! We bought a 5er last Oct. Have not used it much since hubby on Ship. I keep on telling him I have to know how to do things just in case we are camping and he gets recalled. He goes so far then he loses his patience with me. Not that I am dumb but I am new at this he is not. Plus in about 5 years we plan on full timing, uh Dear I better know how to do it specially then.

CampingGator 06-05-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorrie (Post 1526005)
Hope you heal quickly and no set backs.

Now for traveling companion know how to drive and set up: I totally agree! We bought a 5er last Oct. Have not used it much since hubby on Ship. I keep on telling him I have to know how to do things just in case we are camping and he gets recalled. He goes so far then he loses his patience with me. Not that I am dumb but I am new at this he is not. Plus in about 5 years we plan on full timing, uh Dear I better know how to do it specially then.

Have someone else teach you. They will probably have more patience than a spouse. My husband got sick on the way home once and I had to drive and get into and out of the gas station. I still have not tried to back it in anywhere.

TLAK 06-05-2017 08:47 PM

Hope you're mending well.

If they gave you vicodin or something you might want to save one for the ride Sunday when you are in the navigator's seat and stomp on the "brake". :)

Crusader 816 06-06-2017 12:26 AM

Yes I bought that same step to keep in the 5ver and I love it. Bought 1 for home too.

Beauty and Beast 06-06-2017 09:08 AM

Release Tool
 
When I used to pull big rigs, I used to have a tool that I could release the 5th wheel hitch without getting under the trailer. It would probably work for you and many others. I have a round pull handle but some have flat ones on their hitch. The idea is to weld or bolt an eyelet to the handle so the end of the tool goes in there and you can give it a good yank. Ask any OTR driver at any truck stop and I bet they have one to show you. No more getting on a ladder if you can reach over the side. I know most of the new trucks are pretty tall.

Heal fast and be kind to the DW as she gets you home. Every man needs a good woman. Sounds like you have one there.

BandJCarm 06-06-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty and Beast (Post 1526462)
When I used to pull big rigs, I used to have a tool that I could release the 5th wheel hitch without getting under the trailer. It would probably work for you and many others. I have a round pull handle but some have flat ones on their hitch. The idea is to weld or bolt an eyelet to the handle so the end of the tool goes in there and you can give it a good yank. Ask any OTR driver at any truck stop and I bet they have one to show you. No more getting on a ladder if you can reach over the side. I know most of the new trucks are pretty tall.

Heal fast and be kind to the DW as she gets you home. Every man needs a good woman. Sounds like you have one there.

Now THAT got my attention. Never thought of this.

Seems you wouldn't have to bolt/weld it on there permanently, just drill a hole and make a stick with a peg in the end of it.

But........I'd still have to crawl up there to undo the pin holding the handle down first.....right??

Beauty and Beast 06-06-2017 06:22 PM

I do not know how yours is set up but mine has a lever that flops over and fits in a groove that goes around the pull handle (Reese 16K). I could reach this with the tool and flop it to the unlock position.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.