Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Chucking (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/chucking-14408.html)

Docjarvis 07-03-2011 07:58 PM

Chucking

I have just returned from my first trip with our new Sabre 31ckrl triple slide. It was a short trip. This is our first fifth wheel. I tow with a BW companion hitch. I experienced what I now know as chucking. This was very uncomfortable. Anyone with suggestions?

Herk7769 07-03-2011 08:01 PM

Without any information on tow vehicle, I doubt it. :confused:

Docjarvis 07-03-2011 08:04 PM

Chevy silverado 2500hd duramax

Terier 07-03-2011 11:19 PM

Just curious - what is chucking?

Iggy 07-04-2011 12:29 AM

Chucking is the trailer jerking motion on the tow truck.
Some things that could cause this are
- Trailer tongue weight too light on truck and not enough to maintain good contact with plate.
- Improperly mounted or installed hitch. (not over axle)
- Hitch locking mechanism and trailer have worn parts and causes slack.
- If 5th wheel hitch it too high or too low making trailer not balanced with truck.
- Trailer brakes set too agressive.
- Roadway is bumpy or is uneven will cause chucking

These are just a few thinks that may cause it

Nigels 07-04-2011 12:47 AM

I have a 16k Reese slider and experienced slight chucking, not too much to be concerned about, just noticable coming to a stop sometimes and then pulling away.

I installed one of those plastic lube plates for $10 and the irritating clunking has gone completely, not sure why I didn't do this before.

This may work for you also but I guess it might depend on your hitch and pin box types.

onequicksportster 07-04-2011 06:40 AM

I've also noticed chucking, but I believe the reason mine does it is because I have a goose neck to fithwheel adaptor? Any suggestions

Glenn5995 07-04-2011 08:14 AM

I have a Mor/ryde pinbox - no chucking.

MOR/ryde - Products - Rubber Pin Box

Herk7769 07-04-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 115499)
Chucking is the trailer jerking motion on the tow truck.
Some things that could cause this are
- Trailer tongue weight too light on truck and not enough to maintain good contact with plate.
- Improperly mounted or installed hitch. (not over axle)
- Hitch locking mechanism and trailer have worn parts and causes slack.
- If 5th wheel hitch it too high or too low making trailer not balanced with truck.
- Trailer brakes set too aggressive.
- Roadway is bumpy or is uneven will cause chucking

These are just a few thinks that may cause it

These are excellent "thinks" and need looking into.
Trailer brakes not aggressive enough will also cause slamming and bouncing on the hitch during stops.

Earlier mentioned was a Teflon "lube" plate, but they do not work on hitches that do not allow rotation around the king pin like the Slide-Rite.