Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   2nd visit to CAT Scales (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/2nd-visit-to-cat-scales-146700.html)

windsurfdog 10-18-2017 11:27 AM

2nd visit to CAT Scales
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just made my 2nd visit to CAT Scales and wanted to share results for all those interested. I've attached a spreadsheet (actually, a docx of a spreadsheet...didn't find xlsx available to upload...user error?) that has both the 1st and latest measurements included. The conversation after the first visit can be found here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...in-121166.html

Here are a few major changes/additions to my rig since 1st visit:
* Installed Jack-It bike carrier on the tongue
* Moved 2 bikes out of truck bed to Jack-It carrier
* 6 ton bottle jack stowed in trailer
* BAL X Chock stowed in trailer
* 235 lb. passenger plus personal gear in truck
* I'm now using 10 links on the Blue Ox

Below are a few observations from the 2nd visit:
* Truck axle weights are well within limits
* Truck GVW is only 60 pounds from being over GVWR
* GCW has some capacity left but with GVWR so close, I'm about maxed with this rig.
* Trailer axle weights are 20 lbs. combined over. I'm not going to worry about this but I've certainly hit a limit that I'll have to consider maxed at this point.
* GVW of trailer has very little room left as expected considering GAW's but are under none-the-less. Yet another indicator that I've hit a limit.
* 660 lb. tongue weight has increased from 1st visit but still well centered in limits...and is well within my 750 lb. Blue Ox spring bars.

Overall, I just completed a 750 mile trip from N. Florida to Lake Lanier above Atlanta and back and the rig handled beautifully. Plus my mileage was 11.8 for that trip...not too shabby.

BTW...let me pass this on re: CAT scales procedures for any CAT scales virgins:
* Pull right in and get your first measurement
* Park your rig and enter the store to pay for your first weigh and receive your weigh slip. Explain that you will be coming through for 2 RE-WEIGHS.
* Prepare your rig for the first re-weigh.
* Enter scales and tell the attendant that you want a re-weigh for ticket number "1234" (substitute the 4 digits in the lower left corner of your weigh slip for the ticket number above. These 4 digits will be the last 4 digits of the ticket number found on the top of the weigh slip.)
* Prepare your rig for the 2nd re-weigh.
* Enter scales and tell the attendant that you want a re-weigh for ticket number "1234" (same weigh slip number as before).
* Park rig and see attendant to pay for and retrieve your 2 re-weigh tickets.

The first weigh cost me $11 last week. The 2 re-weighs were $2 each.

All comments welcomed. Hope this is found to be useful. Thanks again to ependydad for Towing Planner - towing capability calculators!

ependydad 10-18-2017 01:33 PM

Youíre welcome!

kamper00 10-19-2017 08:45 AM

Some CAT scales you can use the app on your phone, you set it up ahead of time with your profile and credit card.

When you get to the scales, just open app, enter cat scale number (listed right there on the post) hit "weigh" and your all set (takes about 3 minutes to complete)

It will let you know the weights right on the app, and also email you the copy. Never have to leave your vehicle. If you so desire you can still go in to retrieve the paper copy.

windsurfdog 10-19-2017 08:52 AM

kamper00, that sounds easy enough. How does it differentiate between the initial weigh and re-weighs? I only ask from a cost standpoint as the initial weigh for me last week was $11 and the re-weighs were $2/each.

Thanks for the info!

ependydad 10-19-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsurfdog (Post 1651018)
kamper00, that sounds easy enough. How does it differentiate between the initial weigh and re-weighs? I only ask from a cost standpoint as the initial weigh for me last week was $11 and the re-weighs were $2/each.



Thanks for the info!


I donít think it does them.

jonshonda 10-19-2017 09:52 AM

Good info. I hit the CAT scales and the people working were sooo confused by what I was trying to do I felt as if I was speaking a different language.

kamper00 10-19-2017 01:39 PM

I am not sure how it differentiates between it, the cost to me was the same, $11 and $2, when I went to just weigh the truck it was treated as a re-weigh.
Maybe because I came back to weigh the truck within a certain amount of time.

windsurfdog 10-19-2017 02:10 PM

Well, that's cool! I'll have to give it a try next time. Thanks for the info!

herbike 10-19-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonshonda (Post 1651060)
Good info. I hit the CAT scales and the people working were sooo confused by what I was trying to do I felt as if I was speaking a different language.

And to think those people deal with truck drivers every day! That must be real confusing! :D

T11ravis 10-19-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamper00 (Post 1651009)
Some CAT scales you can use the app on your phone, you set it up ahead of time with your profile and credit card.

When you get to the scales, just open app, enter cat scale number (listed right there on the post) hit "weigh" and your all set (takes about 3 minutes to complete)

It will let you know the weights right on the app, and also email you the copy. Never have to leave your vehicle. If you so desire you can still go in to retrieve the paper copy.

Wow, that's cool! Didn't know about that.

ependydad 10-19-2017 03:05 PM

2nd visit to CAT Scales
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamper00 (Post 1651260)
I am not sure how it differentiates between it, the cost to me was the same, $11 and $2, when I went to just weigh the truck it was treated as a re-weigh.

Maybe because I came back to weigh the truck within a certain amount of time.


Oh nice! I thought Iíd read that the app didnít handle re-weighs.

My wife will appreciate it. Sheís the one who gets stuck running inside and walking to wherever Iíve parked and dropped the camper. :D

Waterops1 10-19-2017 03:24 PM

First trip out, I stopped at a CAT Scale and did the initial weight plus THREE subsequent weights for $11 plus $2 for each re-weight. Last weight was to see what difference an additional link dropped on the WD hitch made. App sounds nice but all of this wasnít too bad. Comforting to know I am within specs.

windsurfdog 10-19-2017 04:03 PM

Just read this in one of the reviews for the CAT Scales app on Google Play Store submitted by the CAT Scale Company on 11/12/16:

"You can do a reweigh on the app. When eligible for a reweigh (reweighs can be done 24 hours from the original weigh), the app will prompt you to select first weigh or a reweigh. Your Friends at CAT Scale"

Interesting and very convenient. Anything to make the process easier and thus get more folks to make the effort.

Also, on another review, another comment by "Your Friends at CAT Scale" mentioned the ability to pull up weigh history is planned for a future release of the app.

Many thanks to kamper00 and Waterops1 for some very useful info!

pppitiful 10-19-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ependydad (Post 1651334)
Oh nice! I thought Iíd read that the app didnít handle re-weighs.

My wife will appreciate it. Sheís the one who gets stuck running inside and walking to wherever Iíve parked and dropped the camper. :D

When I set up my app I called CAT in Iowa regarding the re-weigh. I was told that the app can determines the re-weigh based upon the length of time from the previous (initial) weigh. i.e. if it is less than x hours from previous weigh it is calculated as a re-weigh.

chriscowles 10-19-2017 09:39 PM

I used the CAT phone app this summer and did reweighs. There's a button in the app.

It's really convenient. No more standing on the running boards to get to the button and yelling at the speaker.

DouglasReid 10-20-2017 08:20 AM

For the reweigh you can simply unhook your 5er or TT on the trailer scale so both the jack/landing gear and trailer axles are on that pad. Drive your truck forward to get both axles on the individual pads and tell the attendant you are ready. Then you will have all the information about truck and trailer separate and hooked up.

All you need do then is back up, hook up, pay and be done. Subtract reweigh value of rear axle from initial rear axle weight and get the Pin or Tongue weight.

GalsofEscape 10-20-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasReid (Post 1651766)
For the reweigh you can simply unhook your 5er or TT on the trailer scale so both the jack/landing gear and trailer axles are on that pad. Drive your truck forward to get both axles on the individual pads and tell the attendant you are ready. Then you will have all the information about truck and trailer separate and hooked up.

All you need do then is back up, hook up, pay and be done. Subtract reweigh value of rear axle from initial rear axle weight and get the Pin or Tongue weight.

I don't think you should unhook on the scale and some don't allow it.
We had to go park, unhook, then get back onto the scale. They even had an issue with us undoing our weight distribution bars in the lot just before getting back onto the scale. We had to park in a space to unhook the camper completely to get the TV only weight. And they were not busy, no trucks waiting to get weighed.

ependydad 10-20-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasReid (Post 1651766)
For the reweigh you can simply unhook your 5er or TT on the trailer scale so both the jack/landing gear and trailer axles are on that pad. Drive your truck forward to get both axles on the individual pads and tell the attendant you are ready. Then you will have all the information about truck and trailer separate and hooked up.

All you need do then is back up, hook up, pay and be done. Subtract reweigh value of rear axle from initial rear axle weight and get the Pin or Tongue weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalsofEscape (Post 1651929)
I don't think you should unhook on the scale and some don't allow it.
We had to go park, unhook, then get back onto the scale. They even had an issue with us undoing our weight distribution bars in the lot just before getting back onto the scale. We had to park in a space to unhook the camper completely to get the TV only weight. And they were not busy, no trucks waiting to get weighed.

Agreed. You should pull away to a parking space to unhitch and rehitch.

kamper00 10-20-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscowles (Post 1651633)
I used the CAT phone app this summer and did reweighs. There's a button in the app.

It's really convenient. No more standing on the running boards to get to the button and yelling at the speaker.



LOL

I'm 5' 3 and previous I stood on the seat trying to reach the button

Thurman 10-20-2017 05:52 PM

Sigh. IF only the local CAT scales would allow RV/TT/5er weighing. There is a large sign "Commercial Vehicles Only" at the scales. I went in once to ask about weighing the truck/TT and was told, rather bluntly, NO--Commercial Vehicles Only. The next closest one to me is 75 miles away.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.