Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f99/)
-   -   StateTaxes and RV's (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f99/statetaxes-and-rvs-155025.html)

fredoe61 03-13-2018 07:07 PM

StateTaxes and RV's

Something is really getting under my skin. We bought a 16 grand travel trailer brand new back in January. Just received a property tax bill of 1000 bux in the mail. I thought surely this is nuts. It's a camper for God's sakes. We live in SC. Apparently what the state governments try and do is force full timers to pay property taxes by doing this. What full timers do is just set up a home base in a state that doesn't tax these campers meanwhile us recreational users pick up the tab. In all honesty had I known this I may have not got into rving. What a scam this is. I cant imagine the taxes per year on a $80000 coach. $1000 dollars per year on a 16000 travel trailer is insane.

HangDiver 03-13-2018 07:16 PM

Property tax on a camper?

GalsofEscape 03-13-2018 07:30 PM

It really depends on the state you are in - some states have a yearly property tax on vehicles, others do not. So I guess SC is one of those that do. So - do you also pay a yearly property tax on your cars/trucks?
I live in a state that does not have a yearly property tax on vehicles (including campers) but they get your money in other ways (Maryland).

BandJCarm 03-13-2018 07:37 PM

$1,000 bucks because that travel trailer is the only personal property that you own? Or your travel trailer bumped your PP tax UP to $1,000? If the latter, from what?

We pay personal property tax on all personal property. Vehicles, trailers, etc. But I don't pay any annual fee for a travel trailer license. It's a 'get it once for life' deal on trailers. Vehicle licenses are maybe $30 a year.

SO, you pay PP tax in the annual vehicle license, OR you pay it separately.

Oaklevel 03-13-2018 07:38 PM

Just curious what county?? Horry County is trying to tax us since we leave the camper there over the winter. Even though we pay personal property tax on it in Virginia.

You should check with you tax accessor in your county to make sure they are taxing you on the value not something else. ....................

Also are you sure that it is an annual thing and not a one time sales tax and then a personal property annual tax later ??? Usually you pay personal property tax on what you owned on Dec 31st in SC. How are they doing it on your other vehicles???

Jmkjr72 03-13-2018 07:40 PM

Umm maybe pay attention to your tax laws
It’s called personal property tax and lists that a camper can be the primary or secondary house
https://dor.sc.gov/resources-site/la.../SC_TIED_5.pdf
Did you get shocked by the imf tax too

New Fee Beginning July 1, 2017

UpstateTiger 03-13-2018 07:46 PM

PM sent.

cavie 03-13-2018 07:48 PM

Move to Florida. We pay 7% sales tax when we buy it then a yearly registration fee around $40.00 a year. (road use tax based on weight).

PhilG 03-13-2018 07:51 PM

Unless that's the sales tax, that seems really high! NC tax on personnel property - MH = $30,000 is about 300 per year

Phil

Iwannacamp 03-13-2018 08:18 PM

Maybe there is a typo on the personal property tax. Ie. wrong value assessed.

fredoe61 03-13-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 1754479)
$1,000 bucks because that travel trailer is the only personal property that you own? Or your travel trailer bumped your PP tax UP to $1,000? If the latter, from what?

We pay personal property tax on all personal property. Vehicles, trailers, etc. But I don't pay any annual fee for a travel trailer license. It's a 'get it once for life' deal on trailers. Vehicle licenses are maybe $30 a year.

SO, you pay PP tax in the annual vehicle license, OR you pay it separately.

To renew the registration on the tag will cost me 1000 bux a year separately. Another friend of mine that lives in this area told me he's been paying 700 bux a year since he bought his. Another member has messaged me on how I may get around this but imagine all the people where I live who may be getting scammed by this.

fredoe61 03-13-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oaklevel (Post 1754482)
Just curious what county?? Horry County is trying to tax us since we leave the camper there over the winter. Even though we pay personal property tax on it in Virginia.

You should check with you tax accessor in your county to make sure they are taxing you on the value not something else. ....................

Also are you sure that it is an annual thing and not a one time sales tax and then a personal property annual tax later ??? Usually you pay personal property tax on what you owned on Dec 31st in SC. How are they doing it on your other vehicles???

This is greenville county and its just like on your car. You send in the "property tax fee" and they send you the yearly sticker to put on your plate except this fee is far greater than what they charge for other motor vehicles. It's called the motor vehicle property tax and it dont even have a motor....go figure. If its not paid they suspend your drivers licence according to my bill.

fredoe61 03-13-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 (Post 1754484)
Umm maybe pay attention to your tax laws
Itís called personal property tax and lists that a camper can be the primary or secondary house
https://dor.sc.gov/resources-site/la.../SC_TIED_5.pdf
Did you get shocked by the imf tax too

New Fee Beginning July 1, 2017

So apparently I'm gonna get another 500 dollar bill according to this imf fee. This state has gone tax nuts. I cant believe im the only one raising a stink over it. This has to be highest in the country.

DieselDrax 03-13-2018 09:11 PM

Holy cow! Here in Illinois we pay sales tax and then annually we just have registration based on weight. The absolute maximum is $50/yr if the gross weight is over 10,000lb. Our 21SS is $30/yr. No personal property tax here.

fredoe61 03-13-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredoe61 (Post 1754573)
So apparently I'm gonna get another 500 dollar bill according to this imf fee. This state has gone tax nuts. I cant believe im the only one raising a stink over it. This has to be highest in the country.

I misread it apparently this is the fee instead of a sales tax of which ive apparently already paid.

UpstateTiger 03-13-2018 09:30 PM

SC has indeed gone nuts on taxing. The $500 IMF replaces the previous $300 max sales tax on all vehicles. This change was result of state legislators passing gas tax legislation for road repairs. If you check your sales invoice you mostly paid this at closing. If not, then yes you will still owe it. As for the property tax, go to county tax office and apply for second home status if trailer is self contained, i.e. kitchen, bathroom and sleeping accommodations. This significantly reduces property tax. Will still be higher than most ststes but better.

fredoe61 03-13-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredoe61 (Post 1754452)
Something is really getting under my skin. We bought a 16 grand travel trailer brand new back in January. Just received a property tax bill of 1000 bux in the mail. I thought surely this is nuts. It's a camper for God's sakes. We live in SC. Apparently what the state governments try and do is force full timers to pay property taxes by doing this. What full timers do is just set up a home base in a state that doesn't tax these campers meanwhile us recreational users pick up the tab. In all honesty had I known this I may have not got into rving. What a scam this is. I cant imagine the taxes per year on a $80000 coach. $1000 dollars per year on a 16000 travel trailer is insane.

Bottom line is they are taxing these things like they do to try and get money out of the full time rver at crazy rates and to heck with anyone else that use these campers for recreation only. A camper without motor and of certain size should only pay a nominal fee much like a watercraft. These politicians are blood suckers no matter which party they are affiliated with.

fredoe61 03-13-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpstateTiger (Post 1754608)
SC has indeed gone nuts on taxing. The $500 IMF replaces the previous $300 max sales tax on all vehicles. This change was result of state legislators passing gas tax legislation for road repairs. If you check your sales invoice you mostly paid this at closing. If not, then yes you will still owe it. As for the property tax, go to county tax office and apply for second home status if trailer is self contained, i.e. kitchen, bathroom and sleeping accommodations. This significantly reduces property tax. Will still be higher than most ststes but better.

It really is insane meanwhile I've seen zero improvement on most roads other than never ending construction on 85 in Greenville. Really sickens me on the corruption in SC.

CAMPINGADDICT 03-13-2018 10:02 PM

Following this to see if you guys are able to find a work around. I am also from SC and have recently received one of these notices.

Mslaman 03-13-2018 10:18 PM

I just laugh. Not allowed to discuss politics on here.
So I will just laugh.