Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Forester and Sunseeker (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Tire question (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f15/tire-question-157872.html)

johnlantz 04-20-2018 05:02 PM

Tire question
 
I noticed cracks in the sidewalls while doing my spring cleaning. My question are these just cosmetic or an indication the tires need to be replaced. I see it on all the tires. The tires are 4 1/2 years old, about 20k miles. I know you typically replace tires on rvís before all of the tread is gone. But 4+ years seems short. The tires are not covered in the winter.

Trying to attach pictures...

johnlantz 04-20-2018 05:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are picsAttachment 168978Attachment 168979

HangDiver 04-20-2018 05:05 PM

I would replace them.

RedLdr1 04-20-2018 05:16 PM

I'd replace those as well... I've always been told that "RV tires generally don't wear out, they time out" and that five years was the replacement schedule for tires.

geeman53 04-20-2018 07:03 PM

Replace.

Rdeejr 04-20-2018 07:18 PM

Definitelyyyyyy. Replaceeeeee.

Duckogram 04-20-2018 08:43 PM

The pictured tires are unsafe. 5-10 years are max exactly because of the condition shown. 10 years is rare and only attained with meticulous care.

Iwannacamp 04-20-2018 10:52 PM

Michelin had some issues. I would check with a reputable dealer about possible recall. Ymmv

rsdata 04-20-2018 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I'd replace those as well... I've always been told that "RV tires generally don't wear out, they time out" and that five years was the replacement schedule for tires.
X2 KEEP THEM COVERED when not in use... occasionally spray with 303 to add a year or two...

babock 04-20-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlantz (Post 1788838)
I noticed cracks in the sidewalls while doing my spring cleaning. My question are these just cosmetic or an indication the tires need to be replaced. I see it on all the tires. The tires are 4 1/2 years old, about 20k miles. I know you typically replace tires on rvís before all of the tread is gone. But 4+ years seems short. The tires are not covered in the winter.

Trying to attach pictures...

What is the date code on the tires?

russhd1997 04-21-2018 05:32 AM

The date code is the 4 digit code at the end of the tire serial number. The first two digits are the week that they were manufactured and the second two are the year. For example a date code of 1313 would mean that the tire was manufactured in the 13th week of 2013. More than likely the tires are a year or two older than the 4.5 years that you've had them.

johnlantz 04-23-2018 08:50 PM

0513. So they are less than 5 years old. Looked at my tire warranty and Michelin says you should get 6 years out of a tire. I got a claim with Michelin will get the tires inspected to see if they should be replaced. Maybe they will give me something towards a new set. Not sure if I would want to buy another set of Michelinís though.

gectisme 04-23-2018 08:58 PM

I had the same cracking on the truck OEM Michelins in 2015 on our 2010 Dodge. I can't find the paperwork but Michelin gave us somewhere around $150 a tire so you will definitely get something from them. They know those tires had issues.
:signhavefun:

Iwannacamp 04-23-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gectisme (Post 1791409)
I had the same cracking on the truck OEM Michelins in 2015 on our 2010 Dodge. I can't find the paperwork but Michelin gave us somewhere around $150 a tire so you will definitely get something from them. They know those tires had issues.

:signhavefun:



Mmmmhmmm. Seen too many times

babock 04-24-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlantz (Post 1791401)
0513. So they are less than 5 years old. Looked at my tire warranty and Michelin says you should get 6 years out of a tire. I got a claim with Michelin will get the tires inspected to see if they should be replaced. Maybe they will give me something towards a new set. Not sure if I would want to buy another set of Michelinís though.

0513 means they are older then 5 years old. If they were mine, they would have already been replaced.

5picker 04-24-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlantz (Post 1791401)
0513. So they are less than 5 years old. Looked at my tire warranty and Michelin says you should get 6 years out of a tire. I got a claim with Michelin will get the tires inspected to see if they should be replaced. Maybe they will give me something towards a new set. Not sure if I would want to buy another set of Michelin’s though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babock (Post 1791766)
0513 means they are older then 5 years old. If they were mine, they would have already been replaced.

0513 designates a manufacture date of week 1 in Feburary 2013.

EDIT: deleted incorrect information.

andymil 04-24-2018 10:09 AM

0513 means they were manufactured January or February of 2013. Fifth week.

5picker 04-24-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymil (Post 1791779)
0513 means they were manufactured January or February of 2013. Fifth week.

You are absolutely correct.
My apologies for jumping in without a clear head.

Mods, I'm going to edit my post.

andymil 04-24-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5picker (Post 1791782)
You are absolutely correct.
My apologies for jumping in without a clear head.

Mods, I'm going to edit my post.

No problem. Easy mistake to make.

JohnD10 04-24-2018 10:33 AM

These tires are so close to the five year mark...

Isn't that kinda' like eating all of a Quarter Pounder w/cheeze down to the last bite, then taking it to the counter and telling them something is wrong with it?

:confused:

Edited...if those tires are code dated 0513, that means they are over five years old as that puts them at the first week of February, 2013.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.