Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   FR3 (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/)
-   -   worst mistake (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/worst-mistake-167105.html)

wnewman53 08-02-2018 06:45 PM

worst mistake

Well February 23, 2018 made the worst mistake of my life by purchasing a new 2017 FR3 32DS. it is now August 3, back at Camping World service. In the 5 months that we have owned, been in shop 3 of those months. Problems started on way home from dealer. Now back for leaks repairs, 3rd time. This time the roof has bulges and seems to be delaminating. In VA 3rd time for same repairs falls under lemon law. there was a recall on leak problems dated September 2017, dealer made no mention of recall when we purchased. I doubt if repairs will ever correct problems, can't afford to trade or sale. I will say that we have enjoyed the 2 months we have been able to use, have made 3 short trips. Maybe Forest River will see this and make things right hmmm not a chance.

The service and warranty associates at Camping World in Roanoke, VA. Have been very nice and understanding.

Wish I had my 98 Winnebago back.

Hugeez 08-02-2018 06:50 PM

Sorry to hear your problems. Hoping someone steps up and makes things right.

Mr Towed 08-02-2018 06:59 PM

If you're going off the clock in the RV, it's broken, too. It's only August 2nd

wnewman53 08-02-2018 07:08 PM

Thanks Mr Towed, what's another day in the shop. It will still be there tomorrow, and the next and the next and so on.

kenandterry 08-02-2018 07:19 PM

Sounds like you should make an appointment to have it repaired at the Forest River plant up in Goshen.

Multiple trips to your dealer for repeat troubles?

Time to find another dealer.

Mr Towed 08-02-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewman53 (Post 1889829)
Thanks Mr Towed, what's another day in the shop. It will still be there tomorrow, and the next and the next and so on.

Happy to help ;)

itat 08-02-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenandterry (Post 1889852)
Sounds like you should make an appointment to have it repaired at the Forest River plant up in Goshen.

Multiple trips to your dealer for repeat troubles?

Time to find another dealer.

X2

Camping World generally has a poor reputation for after sales service although yours may be better than most. Itís just that 3 times trying to fix the same issue seems suspect. Was it exactly the same leak or 3 different leaks?

If youíre having problems with the roof it would be best if you can get that fixed at the plant rather than a dealer.

BTW, this forum is not associated with Forest River but a few FR employees due contribute to the forum.

wnewman53 08-02-2018 08:45 PM

Kenandterry, did not know that was an option, was told by FR to take to dealer. I just don't believe I should go through the expense of taking to factory to perform warranty work. Seems they should handle. But thinking best way to get repaired properly.
Itat I am beginning to agree. yes, I know that FR is not part of this forum, just taking a chance someone might just take a peak in.

Mr. Dan 08-02-2018 08:53 PM

itat is correct... but it is HIGHLY unlikely that any F.R. employee will see your problem post. Get in touch with FR3 warranty people (not the Forest River corporate office) and ask for authorization to take it to another service department... or to use a mobile service, etc. Your best bet is to disconnect from the Camping World dealership. We have seen evidence of dealership service people being the nicest humans on earth while they do absolutely nothing to solve the customer's issues.

Kentucky Bob 08-02-2018 09:30 PM

We also purchased a32DS. last May and had buyers remorse
About 2 weeks after we took it home. It was our 5th RV over
a 30 yr period, I repaired so many problems that I lost count.
One day I got fed up and demanded that Forest River pick it up
and take it back to the factory and finish all the rest of the repairs.
I had a 12 page list of problems they had to fix. They had it for over
3 weeks. Most things work now but I still don't like it. We will be looking
at the NEWMAR Bay Star or Bay Star sport for our next coach.
I went through Mr. Nicholas Hoover at Forest River for warranty repairs. He was Great
To work with, but with so many problems , it wore us out.
Just about everything you can imagine broke down on our 6,000 mile shake down trip
To California and back.

Good Luck

Decon Blue 08-02-2018 09:41 PM

Iím thinking more and more that building my own Tiny Home might be the way to beat these Poorly built RVs. At least I would know it was constructed correctly, and no having to deal with inept service and sales people.

Kentucky Bob 08-02-2018 09:45 PM

To clarify, we purchased our 32DS MAY OF 2017, not this year.

wnewman53 08-06-2018 01:16 PM

Well Kentucky Bob i guess there are miracles. got a call this morning from Nicholas regarding email i sent to FR on the roof issues. he agreed that selling dealer should not have sold RV with a recall. Not for sure but it seems they will have RV taken to factory and have new roof installed. i will have to cancel some planned trips, but will be worth it to have repaired at factory. will keep my fingers crossed. will keep you all updated as it progresses.

Kentucky Bob 08-06-2018 01:33 PM

Mr. Nicholas Hoover is GREAT, I just wished he was in charge of quality control.
We will keep our coach for a little while longer. I believe F.R. puts out a poor quality product. But most of the other rv manufacturers may be just as bad.

The roof material like what was installed on the FR3's before 2018 models was TPO.
I think this material is the worst thing the industry started to use. FR doesn't use anymore. Now they have a full fiberglass cap on the FR3 models.

Before TPO was used, a thicker type of rubber was used and it was great. I had it on my THOR HURRICANE 30F class A. We had no trouble with it for the 13-1/2 yrs we owned it. The HURRICANE was a quality built coach. We miss it more every time we are in our FR3 32DS.

colourful64 08-06-2018 03:17 PM

We went through the same thing with our 2015 fr3 . We just had to accept that itís a low end rig and work with what we have .. itís like they leave the plant incomplete.. would never buy a fr again

Knoxie89 08-08-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewman53 (Post 1889795)
Well February 23, 2018 made the worst mistake of my life by purchasing a new 2017 FR3 32DS. it is now August 3, back at Camping World service. In the 5 months that we have owned, been in shop 3 of those months. Problems started on way home from dealer. Now back for leaks repairs, 3rd time. This time the roof has bulges and seems to be delaminating. In VA 3rd time for same repairs falls under lemon law. there was a recall on leak problems dated September 2017, dealer made no mention of recall when we purchased. I doubt if repairs will ever correct problems, can't afford to trade or sale. I will say that we have enjoyed the 2 months we have been able to use, have made 3 short trips. Maybe Forest River will see this and make things right hmmm not a chance.

Sounds like my first year of ownership, spent over a month in the shop the first summer we bought it, then sat at the dealer from oct-march getting fixed. IT took 6 (SIX) bathroom doors being ordered before one arrived that wasn't damaged. It took a lot of complaining and a lot of escalating but I was able to get a warranty extension (that without would have cost me shelling out $4k for a new roof, after the rubber started to de-laminate 1 year 2 months after purchase). They even sent me a Check for $1k for my inconvenience I guess. Wasn't really satisfied but it's the best I could do since NY RV Lemon laws only apply to the drivetrain not living quarters. We're on year 3 now and she runs good, no big issues beyond normal wear but I do sometimes regret it!

wnewman53 08-08-2018 06:23 PM

Knoxie that is good news, makes me feel a little better. Still waiting on final word that FR is taking back to factory for repairs. they did mention extending my warranty and paying for loss of use, so now it is wait and see FR comes through. missing out on planned trips but would rather have it repaired properly. VA lemon law includes upfit and vehicles converters. We have already met as far time in shop. Third time for repairs and not fixed, which this is third attempt, will result in replacement or buy back. Will update when I hear good or bad news.

mwdilday 08-08-2018 07:20 PM

Check into RV lemon laws some states have. Also federal warranty laws.

colourful64 08-08-2018 09:33 PM

I wish Canada has lemon laws... Iím sure all the fr3s are lemons

alitaaldridge 08-09-2018 01:42 AM

Thank you. My 2018 FR3 32DS is my 4th RV and definitely my worse mistake. I purchased it in March 2017, and it was in the shop most of 2017 with a 3 page list of problems. The few times I took it out, it went right back in the shop with more problems. Now some of the same items that were supposedly previously repaired are all of a sudden not covered under warranty because the initial 12 month warranty has ended, and not within the 90-days of repair. Well, heck, since it was always in the shop most of 2017, so I could not use it to even see whether it was repaired. And I just found out the $5,000 extended warranty I purchased declined coverage of the same and/or new issues. Cliff from Mike Thompson RV in Colton, CA told me my RV was covered from head to toe, inside and out for 5 years. Not true according to Warrantec Warranty. The repairs out of my pocket will total $862. This is so UNBELIEVABLE! I wish I still had my 2005 Coachmen Freelander. My words of frustration and anger cannot be posted on this site!