Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Charging Systems & Solar (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/)
-   -   EMS-PT30X RV Surge Protector Problem (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/ems-pt30x-rv-surge-protector-problem-167642.html)

Sparkz 08-09-2018 12:50 PM

EMS-PT30X RV Surge Protector Problem
 
About a week ago I purchased an EMS-PT30X surge protector. Yesterday I got the chance to try it. After reading the instructions, I waited for the required amount of time to let it go thru its self diagnosis and after receiving no error codes of any kind and the display showing that everything is OK I still don't have power running thru to my TT. Anyone have similar problems? Did I get a defective unit?

Reverse_snowbird 08-09-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkz (Post 1895841)
. After reading the instructions, I waited for the required amount of time to let it go thru its self diagnosis and after receiving no error codes of any kind and the display showing that everything is OK I still don't have power running thru to my TT. Anyone have similar problems? Did I get a defective unit?

It takes about 3 minutes for ours to run through the diagnostics.
Have you checked the cord running to the trailer?

Sparkz 08-09-2018 02:12 PM

Yes. Using my regular power cord works fine.

DieselDrax 08-09-2018 02:33 PM

How long have you waited to check for power to the TT after plugging the EMS in?

Assuming the display cycles through something like...

120
0A
E 0

over and over? I seem to recall my EMS-PT30X taking a bit to click on the first time I used it here at home as well, I just had to be patient. We used it for 3 weeks this summer while on the road and didn't have a single problem.

grumpy0374 08-09-2018 02:56 PM

Just call Progressive. They have tech available 24/7, and can probably walk you thru your problem.
Have had a 30 amp unit for 6 years now, and it's saved our rig at least 3 times that I can vouch for, one surge and two low power problems.
Grumpy

JohnD10 08-09-2018 03:12 PM

Apparently I'm not the only one having an issue with this forum board locking up and making multiple posts...

Scrapper 08-09-2018 04:15 PM

The EMS takes 2 minutes 16 seconds (136sec) to supply power.

From page 4 of the PI EMS-PT30X & PT50X manual.

NOTE: If the display indicates an error code other than E 0 or E10, the EMS
will not allow power to the RV. We then recommend moving to a different AC
power source or using your generator. The time delay indication dot will not
be visible if an Error Code E 1 through E 9 is present.
You should report an E 1, E 2, E 3, E 4, E 5 or E 6 Error Code directly to the
Campground Management. Our Tech Support Team will not be able to
assist you if you receive one of these Error Codes.
Contact Progressive Industries Tech Support for an E 7, E 8, E 9 or E10
Error Code.

From page 5 of the manual.

Troubleshooting Guide
In order for the on-call Progressive Industries Technical Support Team
Member to properly diagnose the issue you are experiencing with your
unit and render the best possible solution, it is necessary for you
TO BE AT YOUR RV when you place a Tech Support call.
• If the digital display is illuminated and scrolling through information,
RECORD ALL DATA CODES DISPLAYED. If the digital display indicates
an error code other than E 0 or E10 the EMS will not allow power to
the RV. This indicates a problem with the power and the EMS is working
properly and protecting your RV.
• If the digital display is illuminated, reading an E 0 error code, yet
you have no power in the RV, please contact Progressive Industries Tech
Support. Please remember you must wait the 2 minutes 16 seconds (136
seconds) for the time delay countdown.
• If the digital display is NOT illuminated, but power is present in the coach,
there is a connection issue between the digital display and the main control
module. Please contact Progressive Industries Tech Support.
The Progressive Industries Tech Support Team can only help if the
above information is provided; therefore please do not call until you
have captured this information. Again, it is necessary for you to be at
the RV when you call our Tech Support Team. Thank you.

Evereddie 08-09-2018 04:25 PM

By the way, not directly related to your problem but, that period before the unit powers up is a delay period. Nothing more. It is not diagnosing anything. It is a delay to prevent air conditioners from trying to start back up too soon after a power blink. Read the manual carefully. There are 2 settings the user can change between. Mine is at 20 seconds for my type of AC.

Comanchecreek 08-12-2018 08:14 AM

I used my 50 amp Progressive for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I plugged it into the pedestal first and let it do it's diagnostic thing while I leveled and did all the other hookup stuff. I plugged in the trailer and it was ready to go. Had the power go off once and it waited the 3 minutes then came back on no problem. My only issue was with the rain, the view screen fogged up. Thought they were supposed to be weather proof. Will have to call Progressive.

Lovestogo 08-12-2018 03:52 PM

I’ve had this happen to me with mine. Even though I thought I had the electrical cord plugged into the camper good, I didn’t. Unplugged from the camper and reconnected. Next time I had power.

We also had one pedestal that the electric connection appeared to be a little more loose than most others. When we tried to lock the EMS unit, it put pressure on the plug in and the camper light would go on and off for power. Due to where we were camping, we chose not to lock the EMS and all power was okay after that.

Sparkz 08-12-2018 10:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am going to give Progressive a call in the morning. Hopefully they will have a solution.

rk06382 08-13-2018 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkz (Post 1898566)
Thanks for the replies. I am going to give Progressive a call in the morning. Hopefully they will have a solution.

I installed my SSP-30XL inside my power bay out of the weather. The outlet goes to the shore power cord. Also I will not forget it at the pedestal.
Attachment 183055

Sparkz 08-13-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk06382 (Post 1898616)
I installed my SSP-30XL inside my power bay out of the weather. The outlet goes to the shore power cord. Also I will not forget it at the pedestal.
Attachment 183055


Great idea. I'll have to see if I have the room once I get mine up & running correctly.

Comanchecreek 08-14-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comanchecreek (Post 1897992)
I used my 50 amp Progressive for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I plugged it into the pedestal first and let it do it's diagnostic thing while I leveled and did all the other hookup stuff. I plugged in the trailer and it was ready to go. Had the power go off once and it waited the 3 minutes then came back on no problem. My only issue was with the rain, the view screen fogged up. Thought they were supposed to be weather proof. Will have to call Progressive.

So upon inspection my unit was full of water. More than a cup, and it really didn't rain that hard. These units are not water tight as represented. (OK weather resistant). Mine is being replaced, but it's a big issue with PI units. Just not feasible to mount inside on my rig so will have to figure out a way to keep it out of the weather on the pedestal. Check your unit. If it sloshes inside you've got a big issue. PI told me not to use it and get it warranted. They have good Customer service and a good warranty, but the down time is the problem. For those of us that travel regularly it means we are at risk from electrical issues. Isn't that why we purchased these things in the first place? No pedestal check, no surge protection.
Help us out PI. We love your product, but jumping through hoops to keep it up and running does not help.

Kaadk 08-14-2018 09:12 AM

To the OP, when I bought my first portable PI, it did the same thing. Plugged it in, waited for the cycling to be done (little blinking dot goes out) and... no power. Tried other pedestals nearby. Same thing. Since I was near the General RV where I bought it, I just took it back and swapped it out for a different unit instead of waiting on a warranty replacement. That one worked flawlessly up until we traded in the 30A TT on the 50A fiver. New trailer now has a hardwired unit installed, again, working flawlessly.

babock 08-14-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk06382 (Post 1898616)
I installed my SSP-30XL inside my power bay out of the weather. The outlet goes to the shore power cord. Also I will not forget it at the pedestal.

I can see doing that if you already have an outlet in there and you didn't do any modifications. However, a hardwired model will have a small display and bypass switch you can mount where you can see it easily.

cavie 08-14-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comanchecreek (Post 1899816)
So upon inspection my unit was full of water. More than a cup, and it really didn't rain that hard. These units are not water tight as represented. (OK weather resistant). Mine is being replaced, but it's a big issue with PI units. Just not feasible to mount inside on my rig so will have to figure out a way to keep it out of the weather on the pedestal. Check your unit. If it sloshes inside you've got a big issue. PI told me not to use it and get it warranted. They have good Customer service and a good warranty, but the down time is the problem. For those of us that travel regularly it means we are at risk from electrical issues. Isn't that why we purchased these things in the first place? No pedestal check, no surge protection.
Help us out PI. We love your product, but jumping through hoops to keep it up and running does not help.

Cut the cord inside the storage area, install male and female plugs and your all set and nobody can steal it.

Reverse_snowbird 08-14-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comanchecreek (Post 1899816)
Just not feasible to mount inside on my rig so will have to figure out a way to keep it out of the weather on the pedestal. .

We just put a plastic kitchen trash bag with draw strings over the whole pedestal and tie it at the bottom so that it doesn't blow off.

I like the portability. We can check the site before we pull in and someone on these boards reported seeing a portable unit 'melt' protecting the trailer at the post.

JohnD10 08-14-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird (Post 1899875)
We just put a plastic kitchen trash bag with draw strings over the whole pedestal and tie it at the bottom so that it doesn't blow off.

I like the portability. We can check the site before we pull in and someone on these boards reported seeing a portable unit 'melt' protecting the trailer at the post.

I tried the plastic bag thing once and the park staff came by and took it off.

Said it was a fire hazard.

RacerRalph 08-27-2018 10:32 AM

I had a brand new one that wouldn't register anything. Called Progressive and they sent a replacement. Great support.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.