Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Appliances and Electronics (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   Fridge not cooling freezer is (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f113/fridge-not-cooling-freezer-is-172795.html)

moshe1436 10-21-2018 05:19 PM

Fridge not cooling freezer is

Weíve been at our campsite for two hours in SW Florida and our fridge is still the same temp as when we got here but the freezer is definitely getting cold. We have a Domectic DM2652 with auto temp control. I put it in auto when arrived. It has worked well in the past. Wonder if I should switch it to gas and see what happens. I have never run it in gas before. Our food is in coolers and wonít last long without better refrigeration. Any help out there??? thanks!

bob213 10-21-2018 05:38 PM

It takes 8 or 10 hours for the frig. section to get to a safe temp. for food. Should always start your refrig the day before you plan to load it and then try to load only cold items. For now...get more ice for your coolers and keep food in coolers until refrig reaches safe temp.(37-40)

Steve Harris 10-21-2018 05:58 PM

Could be the thermistor/thermostat is going bad. You might trying to unplug it from the refrigerator light that it is connected to. This will cause the refrigerator to run full out without any control to regulate temperature. If it starts cooling and gets pretty cold after a while then replace thermistor. There pretty cheap

Herk7769 10-21-2018 06:10 PM

I had this problem initially until I made some modifications to the air flow in the rear of the unit. Now my problem is keeping the fridge part from freezing!

https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rk-168490.html

I plan on installing a manual variable resistor instead of the thermistor so I have more control over the fridge temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=SwuYp24B8Dk

moshe1436 10-21-2018 07:40 PM

Fridge not cooling

Thanks to all who responded. Itís finally beginning to cool and by morning it should be fine. I guess I hadnít given it enough time. Since I donít have electricity where I store it I probably should run it on propane until we leave or continue to use the gas until we get to our campsite. We only travel for less th than an hour so for that short time I could turn it off. I am not sure about traveling with the propane on since I have never used it before. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Scrapper 10-21-2018 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Harris (Post 1955224)
Could be the thermistor/thermostat is going bad. You might trying to unplug it from the refrigerator light that it is connected to. This will cause the refrigerator to run full out without any control to regulate temperature. If it starts cooling and gets pretty cold after a while then replace thermistor. There pretty cheap

The thermistor/thermostat is not connected to the light. It's only connected to the lower circuit board.

moshe1436, have you checked that the thermistor didn't fall off the fins in the back of the fridge? Do you have your manual? If not, I have attached it .

aceinspp 10-21-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshe1436 (Post 1955293)
Thanks to all who responded. Itís finally beginning to cool and by morning it should be fine. I guess I hadnít given it enough time. Since I donít have electricity where I store it I probably should run it on propane until we leave or continue to use the gas until we get to our campsite. We only travel for less th than an hour so for that short time I could turn it off. I am not sure about traveling with the propane on since I have never used it before. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Yes it takes about 6 to 8 hrs to cool down on AC. One can travel on Propane once you disconnect from AC that is how most folks travel and keep frig cool. Later RJD

rockfordroo 10-21-2018 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It should cool faster on gas, because the gas puts out 35% more BTU's than the electric element does. 1500 BTU's on gas vs 1108 BTU's electric (325 watts). Of course, some of that goes right up the chimney, but I don't know how much. Hopefully not 35%.

See page 2.

moshe1436 10-22-2018 09:14 AM

Fridge cooling

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfordroo (Post 1955332)
It should cool faster on gas, because the gas puts out 35% more BTU's than the electric element does. 1500 BTU's on gas vs 1108 BTU's electric (325 watts). Of course, some of that goes right up the chimney, but I don't know how much. Hopefully not 35%.

See page 2.

Thank you for attaching the manual. I have what came with my unit from the previous owner but the manual I have is no where complete as the one you sent. Fortunately my fridge is cooling great after running all night. The lesson is to run it on gas the night before we leave and during transit. It should be cold by the time we reach our campsite. Thanks again to all who responded to my faux emergency!!! It wasnít one after all!

ard58 10-22-2018 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=aceinspp;1955317]Yes it takes about 6 to 8 hrs to cool down on AC. One can travel on Propane once you disconnect from AC that is how most folks travel and keep frig cool. Later RJD

X2. Always have on AUTO when we travel. Also, if you can avoid it, do not put in warm items to be cooled.

moshe1436 10-22-2018 03:18 PM

Fridge not cooling freezer is

Thanks to all who responded. It is obvious I didnít give it enough time. Everything is great now and the fridge is perfect! Will use propane on the road from now on. This FRFís is great-so many helpful people!

johntaylor 10-22-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Harris (Post 1955224)

No. The thermistor/thermostat switches the whole cooling unit on/off. The freezer and fridge cool together, not independently. If the freezer is cooling, then the fridge is cooling too.

As others have said, his problem is not starting the unit up early enough ahead of time.

rockfossilman 10-24-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herk7769 (Post 1955231)
I had this problem initially until I made some modifications to the air flow in the rear of the unit. Now my problem is keeping the fridge part from freezing!

https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rk-168490.html

I plan on installing a manual variable resistor instead of the thermistor so I have more control over the fridge temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=SwuYp24B8Dk

Herk7769, we had the same problem (freezing in the frig compartment). If your frig has plastic panels on the shelves, try removing the plastic panels from the top two shelves of the frig compartment. My hypothesis is that the panels restrict the air flow within the frig so much that the thermistor (trapped under a lower shelf) detects warm air and calls for too much cooling of the space. If your shelves don't have plastic panels, I have no other suggestions.

Kirk S 10-27-2018 12:59 PM

Glad the OP learned they need to cool their fridge down longer before traveling.

Many people, including me, have traveled for years using propane to keep the refrigerator cold with no issues. Just switch it off while gassing up.

We now have the 4 door Dometic RM1350. We keep it running on electric while stored at home and use it for overflow/sale items.
When we go on a trip it is already cold and we only load cold items.

The starting temp could be 34 degrees and rises to 37 or so after loading. If we dont leave circulation room on each wire shelf the temp near the bottom shelf and crisper drawers rises to 40+, according to the wireless thermometer.

One time we loaded it the night before and tried traveling with it off, as an experiment. We started out at 35 degrees and within an hour it was up to 47 degrees. The unit was new and the doors seals were tight.

It took 24 hours to get it back to 37 degrees once on propane so we wont be traveling with it off again.