Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Appliances and Electronics (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   Generator Issue (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f113/generator-issue-174716.html)

garymenia 11-22-2018 10:56 AM

Generator Issue

I have a 2014 Sunseeker and just tried the Generator for the first time. I assumed if that was running the outlets inside and outside would have power. I didn't so I am wondering what might be the cause of this.

I am also having some issues with starting the Chevrolet that might be part of the problem. It will start about 19 our of 20 tries with the first try but when it fails, I get nothing, no click, no start etc.

What kind of electrical testers would you suggest do start learning diagnostics for a beginner ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might give.

Gary Menia

A32Deuce 11-22-2018 10:59 AM

There is a circuit breaker on the generator itself. Check that as it sounds like it tripped.

MR.M 11-22-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garymenia (Post 1977575)
I have a 2014 Sunseeker and just tried the Generator for the first time. I assumed if that was running the outlets inside and outside would have power. I didn't so I am wondering what might be the cause of this.

I am also having some issues with starting the Chevrolet that might be part of the problem. It will start about 19 our of 20 tries with the first try but when it fails, I get nothing, no click, no start etc.

What kind of electrical testers would you suggest do start learning diagnostics for a beginner ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might give.

Gary Menia

Do you need to plug your cord into an outlet for the generator or do you have a transfer switch? since you have no power when genny is running i would look at the 2 items mentioned above

A32Deuce 11-22-2018 11:02 AM

My 2012 has a built in transfer switch, so I would thinks 2014 would also. I don't think the SunSeekers went backwards.

garymenia 11-22-2018 11:07 AM

If there is a transfer switch I don't know where it is. I will dig out the manual and study up. There is no visible outlet on the generator so I assumed it automatically fed the outlets.

Lots to learn. Thanks all

Gary

A32Deuce 11-22-2018 12:15 PM

It is an automatic transfer switch. You don't have to do anything with it unless the breaker on the generator is not tripped. Check the generator breaker first. Mine has tripped on start up a couple of times in 6 years.

MR.M 11-22-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A32Deuce (Post 1977581)
My 2012 has a built in transfer switch, so I would thinks 2014 would also. I don't think the SunSeekers went backwards.

It's the RV industry anything is possible when it comes to them lining their pockets and c heaping up their product is fist on the lists

MR.M 11-22-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garymenia (Post 1977583)
If there is a transfer switch I don't know where it is. I will dig out the manual and study up. There is no visible outlet on the generator so I assumed it automatically fed the outlets.

Lots to learn. Thanks all

Gary

Follow your shore p[ower wire it shoule lead into a transfer switch if you have one . if not there will be an outlet in the same storage as the shore power cord

A32Deuce 11-22-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.M (Post 1977632)
Follow your shore p[ower wire it shoule lead into a transfer switch if you have one . if not there will be an outlet in the same storage as the shore power cord

You did not read what I posted about the SunSeeker.

MR.M 11-22-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A32Deuce (Post 1977651)
You did not read what I posted about the SunSeeker.

Sure did . OP didn't know where or if there was a transfer switch and i gave him good advice on how to find it . follow the shore power cord . maybe you didn't read what i posted ?

CHICKDOE 11-22-2018 04:41 PM

i'm assuming that this a used MH that you just bought. otherwise you would have tried the generator before.

first thing would be to go the the generator itself and reset the circuit breaker(s) on the generator. if you are 30 there should be 1 breaker, if 50 amp 2 breakers. turn then all the way off and then all the way on to reset them. hopefully this will solve your problem.

go to you distribution panel and reset the main 30 amp or 50 amp breaker just to eliminate it as a cause. i note that you did not say that you had power when connected to shore power.

you need to know whether the generator is actually outputting power or not. if it is then you need to find out why the transfer switch is not passing it though to the MH.

have you asked the previous owner if the generator actually works?

as far as test device a cheap ($10, some say free at harbor freight) multi meter is indispensable.