Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Cedar Creek (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   New 34IK (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/new-34ik-175163.html)

MikeRP 04-11-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny (Post 2069183)
On my 36CK2 the gap (on both ends) is small enough that I believe a very tiny piece of open cell foam strategically glued to the slide will fill the gap. But it's a large enough hole to make you think about heat loss and bug intrusion.



Yes I agree exactly! Not very big but big enough for bug or maybe even mice.

Chillaxin 04-14-2019 09:14 PM

SimchaSabre:

We have a 2020 34IK; took delivery March 21st.

The measurements you asked for:
Closet trim (short red line): 2"
Wall under water hook ups; back to front: 28-1/8"

From the 'water wall' to the outside closet frame is 3-7/8". I know you didn't ask for that measurement, but as a DIY home remodeler, thought you might want that. I didn't measure from the outside frame to the open closet door, but can if you need that, too.

Our first 'mod' was actually a finishing project. The top of the pantry and the cupboard next to it do not have finished tops. We cut a 3/16" birch panel into 2 pieces sized individually for both cabinet tops; sanded, stained, polycrylic'd and attached with wood glue and pin nails. Now we can actually use that space if necessary without exposed cabinet framing.

Happy modding!!

Daycruiser 04-15-2019 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxin (Post 2071371)
SimchaSabre:
Our first 'mod' was actually a finishing project. The top of the pantry and the cupboard next to it do not have finished tops. We cut a 3/16" birch panel into 2 pieces sized individually for both cabinet tops; sanded, stained, polycrylic'd and attached with wood glue and pin nails. Now we can actually use that space if necessary without exposed cabinet framing.

Happy modding!!


Pictures please!!

Chillaxin 04-15-2019 12:09 PM

Hi, Daycruiser!
I'll get photos up later this week of the cabinet 'tops'. Trying to get outside garden things done between rainstorms here in the PNW.

tcrossan 04-15-2019 07:52 PM

Water heater on but no hot water
 
Ok so we took delivery today of our new 2020 34IK. After the move over we're looking forward to a nice hot shower. The water heater is on and it is hot to the touch at the overflow valve. But no hot water.
Any ideas?
Help

Daycruiser 04-16-2019 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcrossan (Post 2072083)
Ok so we took delivery today of our new 2020 34IK. After the move over we're looking forward to a nice hot shower. The water heater is on and it is hot to the touch at the overflow valve. But no hot water.
Any ideas?
Help


Have you checked the valves to make sure you are not in bypass?

tcrossan 04-16-2019 06:23 AM

The diagram only shows the valves in their open positions. Can't determine which one(s) to close.
Tried both open, both closed and alternately open and closed. Still no hot h2o

SimchaSabre 04-16-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcrossan (Post 2072298)
The diagram only shows the valves in their open positions. Can't determine which one(s) to close.
Tried both open, both closed and alternately open and closed. Still no hot h2o

Is it possible that both hot and cold shower fawcets are open but the shower head shut off is closed? That causes your symptoms on our Sabre.

spock123 04-16-2019 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a picture of my Cedar Creek valves Attachment 201872

tomkatb 04-16-2019 07:24 AM

The outside shower valves need to be off.

I typically stand at the control area turning valves testing the outside shower. I check cold flow first. Then hot.

Keep looking. It is something simple.

These fivers are getting awfully complicated.

What operating instructions?

SimchaSabre 04-16-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomkatb (Post 2072341)
The outside shower valves need to be off.

I typically stand at the control area turning valves testing the outside shower. I check cold flow first. Then hot.

Keep looking. It is something simple.

These fivers are getting awfully complicated.

What operating instructions?

X2...if both H &C outside shower valves are open, that would also prevent HW flow to RV fawcets.

spock123 04-16-2019 10:53 AM

I can use my outside shower at the same time I’m using the water faucet inside.

spock123 04-16-2019 10:56 AM

I use the outside shower to flush out my black water tank and DW is using the sink inside. My outside shower is only used for flushing out the black water tank. It stays hooked up all the time.

Chillaxin 04-17-2019 07:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Daycruiser--here are the photos of the finished cabinet tops in our 2020 34IK. I only added the photo of the top of the entry cabinet. The pantry cabinet looks the same (could only post 5 photos). Used Minwax, 'Dark Walnut' stain; matches pretty darned good! Even though no one would ever see it, I'd know it wasn't finished.

All items used were ‘left overs’ from various projects we’ve used for updating our 50+ year old farm house, so I can’t tell you what the cost would be. For those who are ‘weight conscience’, this project added 2lbs, 2.5 ounces.

Daycruiser 04-17-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxin (Post 2073814)
Daycruiser--here are the photos of the finished cabinet tops in our 2020 34IK. I only added the photo of the top of the entry cabinet. The pantry cabinet looks the same (could only post 5 photos). Used Minwax, 'Dark Walnut' stain; matches pretty darned good! Even though no one would ever see it, I'd know it wasn't finished.

All items used were ‘left overs’ from various projects we’ve used for updating our 50+ year old farm house, so I can’t tell you what the cost would be. For those who are ‘weight conscience’, this project added 2lbs, 2.5 ounces.


Damn that looks nice. Great Job!

Chillaxin 04-18-2019 01:06 AM

Thank you.

tcrossan 04-18-2019 06:59 AM

Ok we/they finally found it! Very simple indeed. Only have 3 valves and they are bi-directional. Took 5 people from LazyDays to figure it out and now I have a picture of the normal position. It will never get winterized as long as we own it so should never happen again.
Everythingelse was solved during our PDI and we're on the road.
One day I'll share out 3 day pick up experience with the dealer. Will be funny story by then. Right now we aren't laughing!

dblr 04-18-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcrossan (Post 2074032)
Ok we/they finally found it! Very simple indeed. Only have 3 valves and they are bi-directional. Took 5 people from LazyDays to figure it out and now I have a picture of the normal position. It will never get winterized as long as we own it so should never happen again.
Everythingelse was solved during our PDI and we're on the road.
One day I'll share out 3 day pick up experience with the dealer. Will be funny story by then. Right now we aren't laughing!

Hey as long as you can laugh now it will just make for a good story around the campfire :campfire:

Sandbagger 04-18-2019 08:18 PM

Hey tcrossan, glad to hear your issue is fixed and would love to have a copy of your picture for reference purposes. Our 34IK is scheduled to come off the production line at Cedar Creek on May 13! You may be able to save us some frustrations!

SimchaSabre 04-20-2019 10:37 AM

I was just thinking about our 34Ik that we have on order. Ours will have electrically operated theater seating. So how is it powered by 115 VAC or 12 VDC. If they are AC, is there a battery pack for backup??

tcrossan 04-20-2019 12:00 PM

The theatre seats are 120vac but through a converter to some other dc voltage.
They are actually comfortable so far. The dining chairs are pretty subpar as the legs fell off one of the folding chairs. I will rebuild all 4 of them so they will be safe and dependable. I'm pretty certain they were made in some country we've never heard of. If I'd known how flimsy they were I'd have had them deleted. Good thing I have a full woodworking shop at my disposal.

SilhouettePenny 04-20-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimchaSabre (Post 2075989)
So how is it powered by 115 VAC or 12 VDC. If they are AC, is there a battery pack for backup??

The seats are 12 volt DC with a 6 inch square adapter/converter that plugs into the 120 volt AC wall socket behind the theater seating. This converter is too heavy for the two prongs that go into the wall so we fabricated a strap to secure it to the wall with a couple of screws on each side. No battery pack backup, if you are not plugged into the power pedestal then they don't work.

SimchaSabre 04-20-2019 12:51 PM

So if they need 120VAC, what happens if I fall asleep in the chair and the power goes out. How will I get out of the chair.

SimchaSabre 04-20-2019 12:52 PM

Sounds like I will be making a battery pack of some sort.

tcrossan 04-20-2019 02:28 PM

You're not trapped. You can get out unless you have physical limitations.

Daycruiser 04-20-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimchaSabre (Post 2076111)
So if they need 120VAC, what happens if I fall asleep in the chair and the power goes out. How will I get out of the chair.


Why do you need to get out of the chair if the power goes out? Just go back to sleep it will eventually come back on.:D

SimchaSabre 04-20-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daycruiser (Post 2076208)
Why do you need to get out of the chair if the power goes out? Just go back to sleep it will eventually come back on.:D

That is the correct backup plan

SilhouettePenny 04-20-2019 03:32 PM

If you fall asleep in the theater seat then you obviously chose the wrong (boring) movie. Always recline with plenty of food & beverage at arms length and don't drop the remote. Leave the front door unlocked and eventually, when you're the last camper to leave, someone will stop by to help.

tcrossan 02-13-2020 03:16 PM

Follow up comments and questions.
We've had our 34IK now since April of '19. It has been mostly trouble free save for the furniture.
Not long after we,placed our order we asked here on the forum about the gray water tanks filling up. Someone suggested adding a 3rd valve to "equalize" the 2 tanks. I did and it wasn't as advertised! I had gray water flooding out of the tank visible from under the gooseneck storage area. Water was gurgling in the kitchen sink as well. I dumped it all on the ground to stop the flood. So, we are back to 2 forever individual tanks. The shower-lavatory tank fills up really quick, like 4 "navy showers" quick. Galley rarely fills up.
Would really like to hear for suggestions from anyone who has been in this situation of trying to maximize the gray water storage.

Sandbagger 02-13-2020 03:51 PM

Tcrossan - we have a 2020 34ik and the grays were configured by CC with one being for washer and bathroom sinks and the other for the shower and kitchen sink. We do not have a washer and even if we did we likely would only use it if we had a full hookup and were running into the issue you described. Orvan replumbed so shower and bathroom sinks flow to one tank and kitchen sink to the other. This works better for us. However, if we don’t have full hookup I will go to shower house at beginning of week and still have tank capacity to shower in RV later in week. DW uses RV shower all the time.- she is deserving of the convenience! $70 parts plus labor. I did pass along suggestion to CC that they consider changing the plumbing as what we have, in my opinion, makes more sense.

Daycruiser 02-16-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandbagger (Post 2268286)
Tcrossan - we have a 2020 34ik and the grays were configured by CC with one being for washer and bathroom sinks and the other for the shower and kitchen sink. We do not have a washer and even if we did we likely would only use it if we had a full hookup and were running into the issue you described. Orvan replumbed so shower and bathroom sinks flow to one tank and kitchen sink to the other. This works better for us. However, if we don’t have full hookup I will go to shower house at beginning of week and still have tank capacity to shower in RV later in week. DW uses RV shower all the time.- she is deserving of the convenience! $70 parts plus labor. I did pass along suggestion to CC that they consider changing the plumbing as what we have, in my opinion, makes more sense.


+1 Having this done on my 34IK in April at Orvan's also. Same problem exactly, the galley fills up in a heartbeat and the bath tank is almost empty. Don't have and won't have a washer/dryer so don't care about those.

tcrossan 02-28-2020 09:31 AM

Left message at Amish Family RV
 
I called up to Orvan's this AM and left a message.
About how far out is he booked as we want to plan a trip there for him to reconfigure our grey h2o tanks.
Also interested to know what he charged to make the mod.
Thanks.

RV Grammy 04-13-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandbagger (Post 2268286)
Tcrossan - we have a 2020 34ik and the grays were configured by CC with one being for washer and bathroom sinks and the other for the shower and kitchen sink. We do not have a washer and even if we did we likely would only use it if we had a full hookup and were running into the issue you described. Orvan replumbed so shower and bathroom sinks flow to one tank and kitchen sink to the other. This works better for us. However, if we don’t have full hookup I will go to shower house at beginning of week and still have tank capacity to shower in RV later in week. DW uses RV shower all the time.- she is deserving of the convenience! $70 parts plus labor. I did pass along suggestion to CC that they consider changing the plumbing as what we have, in my opinion, makes more sense.



We have a 2020 34lk also and on the first trip out last spring ran into this same problem. And of course in a campground with no sewers We eventually figured out the problem, then ran across this post. Could you tell me how Orvan went about modifying the plumbing to the gray water tanks? Did he cut holes in the bottom or remove the bottom panels? We would like to have this done, but don’t want a bunch of holes cut in bottom. Thanks for the info

wayne272 04-13-2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV Grammy (Post 2305445)
We have a 2020 34lk also and on the first trip out last spring ran into this same problem. And of course in a campground with no sewers We eventually figured out the problem, then ran across this post. Could you tell me how Orvan went about modifying the plumbing to the gray water tanks? Did he cut holes in the bottom or remove the bottom panels? We would like to have this done, but don’t want a bunch of holes cut in bottom. Thanks for the info

You would remove a panel and slice the insulation to access the tank plumbing. Had to do this to replace a valve in our old silverback.

Sandbagger 04-13-2020 04:32 PM

Orvan has lifts that will pick up the 34ik in minutes. He did lift the 34ik and removed the bottom panels to do the work. From looking at the work he did I discerned that he re-plumbed the shower to the tank that is tied into the bathroom sinks. The shower drain pipe now runs behind the hot water tank into the basement, across the basement ceiling and out the front of the basement into the front storage area and then down to the tank. I lost no storage space in the basement or the front storage area. The only "hole" that I sealed up is where the pipe goes through the basement wall into the front storage and for that I used spray foam. Not sure if sealing wall breach was even needed but I did it anyhow. The kitchen sinks drain into the other grey tank.

We do not have a washer and I assume that water from washer still drains into same tank as before which is now tied to the shower and bathroom sinks.

I can get you pictures when I take it out of storage but not sure if that is going to be this weekend or beginning of May.

RV Grammy 04-13-2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandbagger (Post 2305475)
Orvan has lifts that will pick up the 34ik in minutes. He did lift the 34ik and removed the bottom panels to do the work. From looking at the work he did I discerned that he re-plumbed the shower to the tank that is tied into the bathroom sinks. The shower drain pipe now runs behind the hot water tank into the basement, across the basement ceiling and out the front of the basement into the front storage area and then down to the tank. I lost no storage space in the basement or the front storage area. The only "hole" that I sealed up is where the pipe goes through the basement wall into the front storage and for that I used spray foam. Not sure if sealing wall breach was even needed but I did it anyhow. The kitchen sinks drain into the other grey tank.



We do not have a washer and I assume that water from washer still drains into same tank as before which is now tied to the shower and bathroom sinks.



I can get you pictures when I take it out of storage but not sure if that is going to be this weekend or beginning of May.



Thanks for the info. Will have to call and set up an appointment .

Daycruiser 04-15-2020 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandbagger (Post 2305475)
across the basement ceiling and out the front of the basement into the front storage area and then down to the tank.


Can you tell me which side of the front storage compartment the pipes comes through the wall and down? I'm getting ready to re-do the electrical mess in the front compartment and move my batteries and all associated wiring so I want to make sure I don't put something in his way when he re-plumbs mine in June.

Sandbagger 04-15-2020 06:41 AM

Daycruiser - piping goes through the wall between the basement and front compartment about 3' from the right (passenger) side. I am picking up the unit from storage and setting up on Saturday. Once I set up I will take more precise measurements and post pictures. We will be staying in our 34ik until mid-June.

Daycruiser 04-15-2020 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandbagger (Post 2306439)
Daycruiser - piping goes through the wall between the basement and front compartment about 3' from the right (passenger) side. I am picking up the unit from storage and setting up on Saturday. Once I set up I will take more precise measurements and post pictures. We will be staying in our 34ik until mid-June.

That would be great, just want to make sure I don't mount my new charger, inverter and controller wiring in his way.

RV Grammy 05-12-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandbagger (Post 2306439)
Daycruiser - piping goes through the wall between the basement and front compartment about 3' from the right (passenger) side. I am picking up the unit from storage and setting up on Saturday. Once I set up I will take more precise measurements and post pictures. We will be staying in our 34ik until mid-June.



I was wondering if you have been able to get your unit out of storage yet. We would be interested in seeing pictures of the locations of the plumbing since you had the waste lines reconfigured. We are considering tackling the project ourselves since we seem to have a lot of time on our hands recently although always manage to fill our days!! I don’t want to be exposed to any Covid during a trip to Indiana as a simple cold causes me major problems. My husband looked in the area where all the plumbing is and doesn’t look too complicated. Do you have any insight on anything special Ovran may have done to make this work? Thanks for any info you might have


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.