Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Cedar Creek (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   MORryde Steps (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/morryde-steps-177515.html)

itat 01-30-2019 08:42 PM

I didn't think to look during our PDI and the trailer is in storage at the dealer until Spring, but I wonder ... on units with the MORryde steps as standard and no options, is the framing available below the door to retrofit external steps like the like the Glowstep Revolution aluminum scissor-style steps or would you have to weld on some framing to mount them?

2rad4u 01-31-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 2015503)
I didn't think to look during our PDI and the trailer is in storage at the dealer until Spring, but I wonder ... on units with the MORryde steps as standard and no options, is the framing available below the door to retrofit external steps like the like the Glowstep Revolution aluminum scissor-style steps or would you have to weld on some framing to mount them?

Mine does not have any framing for another style of steps. The skirting is also not cut out, which, to me, is the best feature of these steps. When the steps are inside, the exterior looks so much better without the cut out for the steps.

JohnD10 01-31-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rad4u (Post 2015614)
Mine does not have any framing for another style of steps. The skirting is also not cut out, which, to me, is the best feature of these steps. When the steps are inside, the exterior looks so much better without the cut out for the steps.

I prefer function over looks...

It seems that the RV manufacturers are taking away the option for different kinds of steps.

:eek:

TheWolfPaq82 01-31-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 2015503)

My 2018 Cherokee still has the framework underneath to accommodate the scissor steps.

itat 01-31-2019 11:25 AM

I discovered that TorkLift has a "Vertical Stud Adapter Bracket Kit" to install the steps on trailers that don't have the vertical step attachment brackets on each side, but the brackets in the kit seem to need an existing stud or two on the underside of the floor. You can bolt the bracket to the I beam behind the steps but you'd have to figure out how to bolt the brackets to the underside of the floor if those studs are not there. Of course you'd also have to cut out a section of the skirting and trim it out.

acvp1 01-31-2019 12:46 PM

They ARE sturdy.....but........
we store our 36CK2 in a heated 15 x 50 garage. We cannot access our RV when stored because these steps swing out so far they hit the wall! I must pull RV outside to gain entry.
WHAT A PITA !!!!!!!!!!

NMWildcat 01-31-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acvp1 (Post 2015840)
we store our 36CK2 in a heated 15 x 50 garage. We cannot access our RV when stored because these steps swing out so far they hit the wall! I must pull RV outside to gain entry.
WHAT A PITA !!!!!!!!!!

I would put the steps up for sale (since they are so popular;), and buy a different set. You might also talk to the dealer, and they might swap them out for something different. Doesn't hurt to ask!

itat 01-31-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMWildcat (Post 2015843)
I would put the steps up for sale (since they are so popular;), and buy a different set. You might also talk to the dealer, and they might swap them out for something different. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Scott, it might not be so easy to swap them out for regular steps. See previous posts about retrofitting the TorkLift GlowSteps.

The only "con" about these MORryde StepAbove steps seems to be the issue of not being able to deploy them in a confined storage space. The factory-installed version with the lift assist is very popular - with that one caveat that's obviously a show stopper for those with that issue.

2rad4u 01-31-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnD10 (Post 2015735)
I prefer function over looks...

It seems that the RV manufacturers are taking away the option for different kinds of steps.

:eek:

Then you'll love the Morryde steps...

2rad4u 01-31-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acvp1 (Post 2015840)
WHAT A PITA !!!!!!!!!!

Who's fault is that again?

NMWildcat 01-31-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 2015845)
Scott, it might not be so easy to swap them out for regular steps. See previous posts about retrofitting the TorkLift GlowSteps.

The only "con" about these MORryde StepAbove steps seems to be the issue of not being able to deploy them in a confined storage space. The factory-installed version with the lift assist is very popular - with that one caveat that's obviously a show stopper for those with that issue.

Possibly.

I figure it's another fad option that the manufacturers jumped into with both feet and have a 'great deal' made with the supplier. It will last until the deal runs out and they figure out they do not work for everybody. Then we will have some better options for sturdier stairs that might work universally.

A dealer will install whatever stairs you want when trying to make a sale;)

And the limited space problem isn't the only problem. There is cleaning off the dirt/water before stowing, the need to level the legs when deployed on uneven ground or the twist may make the door not shut, the rubbing on the door/screen while traveling, the lifting/locking of the stairs. Maybe trivial, maybe not.

If an option causes me any more work than a tried and true option, and/or doesn't gain me anything, i don't need it.

I am simplifying my RV life as much as I can, not adding more setup/tear down chores;)

I do like the GlowSteps a few members described. That seems to be a better option if I could no longer get the standard stairs.

We have been looking at a lot of new units lately, and the rigid steps are probably on 40%. True, more on mid to upper end price ranges, but I haven't had anyone tell me they wouldn't swap them out for us.

I'm glad some folks like the rigid steps, but they are not the final answer.

itat 01-31-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rad4u (Post 2015854)
Who's fault is that again?

... that would be the manufacturer who didn't allow for an option.

Based solely on watching YouTube videos showing the various steps in use, the MORryde steps are probably the most rock solid, but that comes with a significant con or two. In my case, those cons are not significant enough to be a show stopper for buying our new Rockwood 5er, but that doesn't negate the negatives.

People are allowed to dislike the negatives even though they like them overall.

itat 01-31-2019 01:51 PM

Back in Post #67 I asked:

"Does anyone use something to wash off the steps before storing them? I'm wondering how it will go when putting them away when its raining with wind blowing towards the door."

Does anyone have some tips for dealing with this?

BandJCarm 01-31-2019 01:52 PM

Here's a sidebar to this step discussion, for your reading info.

We have Glowsteps, 5 step model. Wife just fell off of last step and broke her ankle. Without giving a long story of details, it had NOTHING to do with the type of step. What she did would have happened on any steps, it was her fault.

What WOULD have helped, no matter which steps we might have had, would have been a handrail that goes the entire length of the steps. The installed model of rail that we have is great........but only for the first two steps as you go down. You're on your own for the last 3 and the ground.

Glowsteps have an optional handrail that is attached after step deployment. They would have to be installed and removed on each transit. That might be an issue for folks who are moving a lot. We're here for the winter........1/4 of our year is stationary. Much of the rest of our camping is also weeks at a time at a place. So, I am going to order the handrail, cause I think it will help greatly for her and me too. I've almost tripped several times, just being clumsy or having one hand full.

I see some steps have handrail that goes the length of the steps. That's good. But as we get older and less stable, I'm thinking a full-length handrail is really important.

2rad4u 01-31-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 2015879)

"Does anyone use something to wash off the steps before storing them? I'm wondering how it will go when putting them away when its raining with wind blowing towards the door."

I answered the question. A small towel works wonders.

Rocket science it ain't

2rad4u 01-31-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 2015875)
... that would be the manufacturer who didn't allow for an option.

Wrong, the buyer is at fault. If I buy something that doesn't work in my application, it's my fault.

Geez people

doc73 01-31-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itat (Post 2015879)

Just brush them off with my hand or bang them off when they are mostly stored. Been out in rain snow and mud, never had an issue.

Mr. Dan 01-31-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc73 (Post 2015893)
Just brush them off with my hand or bang them off when they are mostly stored. Been out in rain snow and mud, never had an issue.

Same here (well... not snow) and have no issues. We always keep a mat in front of the door regardless of step position.

itat 01-31-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rad4u (Post 2015883)
I answered the question. A small towel works wonders.

Rocket science it ain't

Thanks. I missed where you said that in Post #34.

Thanks also doc73 and Mr. Dan. I haven't had an opportunity to use them yet so I wasn't sure if they have a non-slip surface that's hard to clean.

JohnD10 01-31-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 2015880)
Here's a sidebar to this step discussion, for your reading info.

We have Glowsteps, 5 step model. Wife just fell off of last step and broke her ankle. Without giving a long story of details, it had NOTHING to do with the type of step. What she did would have happened on any steps, it was her fault.

What WOULD have helped, no matter which steps we might have had, would have been a handrail that goes the entire length of the steps. The installed model of rail that we have is great........but only for the first two steps as you go down. You're on your own for the last 3 and the ground.

Glowsteps have an optional handrail that is attached after step deployment. They would have to be installed and removed on each transit. That might be an issue for folks who are moving a lot. We're here for the winter........1/4 of our year is stationary. Much of the rest of our camping is also weeks at a time at a place. So, I am going to order the handrail, cause I think it will help greatly for her and me too. I've almost tripped several times, just being clumsy or having one hand full.

I see some steps have handrail that goes the length of the steps. That's good. But as we get older and less stable, I'm thinking a full-length handrail is really important.

You can buy a longer handrail that replaces the fold out handrail that came on the RV.