Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Cedar Creek (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   MORryde Steps (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/morryde-steps-177515.html)

Gsykora 01-21-2019 09:24 PM

MORryde Steps

I'm beginning to hate these steps. The Mooryde steps are the solid steps that fold up into the door vs. extending/retracting under the door. 1st off, whenever you fold them up, whatever dirt and crude is on them, ends up in the RV. The real problem I have with them is that I forgot to adjust them at our new campsite and when I closed the door, the bottom of the door snagged the step and bent the door a little. Crap!!!!! Now, I was able to straighten it out but it's still a bummer. Just have to remember lower them (retract the extendable legs) as far as they can go each time we set up.

dalford 01-21-2019 10:21 PM

Can you remove them and install conventional steps?

SilhouettePenny 01-21-2019 10:37 PM

I feel your pain sir, we have the Lippert version on our 36 CK2 and I find myself talking out loud prior to fully extending the steps or closing the door for the first time after deployment. But once adjusted both of us and the dog are starting to warm up to the stability offered.

Gsykora 01-22-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny (Post 2009907)
I feel your pain sir, we have the Lippert version on our 36 CK2 and I find myself talking out loud prior to fully extending the steps or closing the door for the first time after deployment. But once adjusted both of us and the dog are starting to warm up to the stability offered.

Yes, once adjusted, they are very stable. I guess I'll just need to take more care when closing the door for the first time after setting up.

Mr. Dan 01-22-2019 09:13 AM

I carry an 8 or so inch bullet level for plumbing my DIRECTV antenna post. After my trailer is level, I put that bullet level on a step tread of my MORryde steps and adjust the feet until the step treads are level. That lets me know my door will close correctly and it only takes 3 minutes. This leveling process helps my DW navigate the steps since she has vertigo/equilibrium issues.

sh1pper 01-22-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Dan (Post 2010049)
I carry an 8 or so inch bullet level for plumbing my DIRECTV antenna post. After my trailer is level, I put that bullet level on a step tread of my MORryde steps and adjust the feet until the step treads are level. That lets me know my door will close correctly and it only takes 3 minutes. This leveling process helps my DW navigate the steps since she has vertigo/equilibrium issues.

Good tip! I have learned to like the steps and make allowances when parked.

woo10-210 01-22-2019 10:00 AM

We've only had our TT about 5 weeks and I already have a love-hate relationship with these steps. They work great, they don't flex when stepping on them, you can adjust them for uneven surfaces, and I just sweep them off before returning them to the travel position. My main problem is our storage lot. I can't get in the TT without hitching up and pulling forward due to the lack of space to the next TT. I'm going to convert to the MORryde Quick Connect Step and store it in the pass-thru.

Boomerweps 01-22-2019 10:45 AM

I like steps a lot but...
They can be a PITA if your site angles upward on the step's side. I had to reconnect the TT and block up both sides vice just one to level AND lift it high enough to use the fold down steps. Because after I initially leveled the TT side to side and dis connected the TV, I found the steps would not lay down on the threshold allowing the door to close, even literally pounding the feet up into the step frame.
The same problem can occur if your trailer sinks into soft ground, always use large boards under the wheels on bare ground. I used Lynx levelers and when this happened to me, after moving the trailer onto boards, I had to use a prybar to unstick the Lynx out of the ground ;( Luckily, when the wheels sank in the ground, I had the step's feet extended slightly and was able to retract them enough to make them hang and open the door to fold in the steps prior to repositioning the TT.
The door opening and closing correctly isn't about being level. It's about the top of the steps being flush with door threshold. The steps need to lay on the threshold.

Kimber45 01-22-2019 10:53 AM

Very small down sides for the great steps that they are. I added them to my unit and still have the old folding junk steps tucked under my unit. My dog would not do the old steps alone, now she can get in on her own without help.

My only frustration is having to drop them during loading. used to just open the door and pile bags in. I can live with a little dirt when leaving. I crush a beer can and use as shim under one leg if the ground is not level.

ependydad 01-22-2019 11:58 AM

Y'all are making me love my Glowstep Revolution steps by Torklift with each post. :D Sorry to George & Nancy for the issues you had and the bent door. That sucks!

JohnD10 01-22-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ependydad (Post 2010163)
Y'all are making me love my Glowstep Revolution steps by Torklift with each post. :D Sorry to George & Nancy for the issues you had and the bent door. That sucks!

X2...

:trink39:

BandJCarm 01-22-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

X3

Canadiancrew 01-22-2019 01:00 PM

When I first saw them I wished we had them. Watching it since I have noticed a lot of times I need to go get something from the trailer while it is in storage. The next trailer can be too close sometimes. We also make roadside of rest stop lunches and from what I see here we would need to level our steps each time.

Cabinfever97 01-22-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiancrew (Post 2010196)
When I first saw them I wished we had them. Watching it since I have noticed a lot of times I need to go get something from the trailer while it is in storage. The next trailer can be too close sometimes. We also make roadside of rest stop lunches and from what I see here we would need to level our steps each time.

You don't need to level up for a quick bathroom break. Just be careful to to step on the very top. It may not be seated on the threshold and could bend. Also don't close the RV door as if not level you could damage the door. I do quick breaks on off/on ramps all the time this way, never a problem.

Gsykora 01-22-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiancrew (Post 2010196)

Oh ya, I forgot about not being able to open them when in storage. I've got the "exact" location of our storage space marked out so that's not a problem - but it was when we first got there.

MikeRP 01-23-2019 02:46 PM

Yes they are causing me the same problem in storage. I canít get even close to getting in the door with a 50 fit boat right next to me

TheWolfPaq82 01-23-2019 03:16 PM

Truly love mine...as does the wife. I don't have the storage issues some of you have, but I can see where that would be a problem. Love the stability they provide and I've never had trouble on uneven ground...as I anticipated that scenario and made some wood blocks to use under the feet if needed.

Jayhawker 01-23-2019 04:22 PM

MORyde steps

MoRyde steps were one of the selling points for us when we bought our Surveyor TT. No issues, no problems, no shaking going in or out.:)

W5CI 01-23-2019 04:55 PM

I Love the MORryde steps but they will not work on my Cedar Creek and I can't afford the GloSteps. they cost double of what the MORryde steps cost.

JohnD10 01-23-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W5CI (Post 2010970)
I Love the MORryde steps but they will not work on my Cedar Creek and I can't afford the GloSteps. they cost double of what the MORryde steps cost.

And they cost double for good reason... more funtionality!

And less than half the weight...

2rad4u 01-23-2019 06:03 PM

I laugh every time I read these posts. These steps COULD NOT be easier to deploy, easier to clean, easier to fold, easier to adjust, easier to use and more solid if they tried.

And yet, people have to come on here to bash and complain about them.

You bought them, or bought an RV with them. It's nobody's fault but yours.

spock123 01-23-2019 06:10 PM

I have a friend that swears by them just not for us. A lot of people love them. Cedar Creek installs then on new campers. Sometimes the factory will let you option in the old steps. A lot of people like the new Cedar Creek Hathaway that doesnít have the rear cap, not us. Different people like different stuff on campers, if it works for you I say great

waybeck2018 01-23-2019 06:50 PM

The DW loves these due to her vertigo and lack of leg strength. She really likes the stability it provides. Yes, a pain now and then to deploy but overall we are pleased with them.

Boomerweps 01-23-2019 08:29 PM

While I mentioned problems I encountered for others to avoid, these very stable steps were one of the selling points on the TT I selected. I did have to carpet them for my dog to use them.

MikeRP 01-23-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rad4u (Post 2011025)
I laugh every time I read these posts. These steps COULD NOT be easier to deploy, easier to clean, easier to fold, easier to adjust, easier to use and more solid if they tried.

You are right opinions vary! And we all know there is pluses and minuses to everything. Iím glad I read this thread, I didnít have on my list to deploy these properly.

Rdeejr 01-23-2019 09:37 PM

I really like mine but am having issues with the strp threshold rubbing on bottom of the door even with them fully adjusted in. This makes the steps lean downward.

Iím gonna try the driving on boards and see if that helps.

ba964 01-23-2019 10:11 PM

2rad4u said it all.

Jayhawker 01-23-2019 10:41 PM

MORyde steps

Quote:

Originally Posted by ba964 (Post 2011146)
2rad4u said it all.

Totally agree!:trink39:

Jeeptchr 01-23-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdeejr (Post 2011135)
I really like mine but am having issues with the strp threshold rubbing on bottom of the door even with them fully adjusted in. This makes the steps lean downward.

I added them to our camper and love them 95% of the time. I was having this same issue and have figured out once I level the steps if they are rubbing the door like you describe (I trimmed the screen door so I donít have an issue there) I will stand on the top step and jump a couple of times and that usually sets the step threshold perfectly. Itís heavy enough gauge metal I donít see metal fatigue setting in for a long time.

ependydad 01-24-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rad4u (Post 2011025)

Itís not about fault, itís about pros and cons to a product. By your logic, no one should complain about anything ever. That would make for a boring forum!

No product is perfect. Why not discuss the disadvantages and talk about possible solutions?

Jim in Florida 01-24-2019 03:28 AM

I have had an issue once in the storage lot with needing to get inside to reset our leveling system. We were fortunate that there was clearance between our neighboring trailer, so we had room to fold down the steps. I was concerned of what we would do if we did no have enough clearance. Contacting MORryde was no help.

I decided to drill out the rivets holding the leg assembly onto the pivot and replace them with clevis pins. Now, if if ever need access to the trailer when I am unable to fold them down I will be able to remove the pins and take off the steps temporarily.

I have not had any issues with being parked to close since!

Jim

Mch5jdm 01-24-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

I too have that issue. I am on boards and not much help. I think I am going to remove the door sweep to see if it helps. Other than that I like. My rig has 2 entry with a standard step on it. Makes potty breaks easy while enroute.

rjshiflet 01-24-2019 06:44 AM

Got to say...we LOVE ours. We keep a small "whisk broom" in the side compartment of the trailer for a quick sweep before folding them in. We are in our fifth wheel at least 8 days each month year-round and we've been fortunate not to have to pack up in rain. I can imagine that would be problematic with water on the steps being folded in.

But, all in all, much safer and much more stable in my opinion.

2rad4u 01-24-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjshiflet (Post 2011197)
We are in our fifth wheel at least 8 days each month year-round and we've been fortunate not to have to pack up in rain. I can imagine that would be problematic with water on the steps being folded in.

Small hand towel.

Lift steps, shake a little to drop any standing water, lower steps, wipe with towel, fold up, lay towel inside door (under steps) to catch any residual dripping. Easy

This also "cleans" the steps so your killing two birds with one stone. ;)

Also, I made sure my awning covered both entrances so not getting wet while camping is a plus.

Fundy 01-24-2019 07:22 AM

We love our steps, I originally used a "whisk broom" until I was using my cordless leaf blower an thought why not use it to blow off the steps.

It is a small blower I remove the "tube" and use just the blower itself, fits in a small compartment next to the steps. It will blow off any loose dirt along with any water on the steps, if you reinstall the "tube" you can use it to blow loose dirt off your camping mat :D

dalspot 01-24-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

X5

They are expensive, but we got a good deal on Black Friday.

TheWolfPaq82 01-24-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomerweps (Post 2011105)
While I mentioned problems I encountered for others to avoid, these very stable steps were one of the selling points on the TT I selected. I did have to carpet them for my dog to use them.

Did the same and wrapped each step with the strap on tread covers. had to mod the one for the top step, but when they get really dirty I just take them off and hose em down.

Boomerweps 01-24-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure of your issue. These steps need to effectively be hanging from the top hinge so the top hinge lays flat on the threshold. Then extend the feet. Granted you do not want to literally be hanging all that weight on the hinge. If the hinged section sticks up even a little bit, it will interfere with the door opening.

2rad4u 01-24-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomerweps (Post 2011317)
I'm not sure of your issue. These steps need to effectively be hanging from the top hinge so the top hinge lays flat on the threshold. Then extend the feet. Granted you do not want to literally be hanging all that weight on the hinge. If the hinged section sticks up even a little bit, it will interfere with the door opening.

It seems easy enough...

rocco52 01-24-2019 03:53 PM

I actually like them very much but had not thought of the access while in storage issue. I will add that after one month one of the bolts to the shocks supporting the weight sheared making it very heavy to lift and a little dangerous to lower. I was surprised that there was that much stress on a 1/2" bolt.