Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Tires & Frames (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f219/)
-   -   Jack & crank (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f219/jack-and-crank-179440.html)

BOB3288 02-25-2019 05:54 PM

Jack & crank

ON A NEW CEDAR CREEK 38EL CHAMPAGNE,where would the manufacture put the jack,lug wrench and the crank to lower the tire.Im all buttoned up for the winter and don't want to re open it up too look for the items myself.

MR.M 02-25-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOB3288 (Post 2033811)
ON A NEW CEDAR CREEK 38EL CHAMPAGNE,where would the manufacture put the jack,lug wrench and the crank to lower the tire.Im all buttoned up for the winter and don't want to re open it up too look for the items myself.

no jacks or lug wrenches with trailers . tool for spare s/b the same as for the stabilizer jacks . hope this helps

SilhouettePenny 02-26-2019 04:55 PM

Sorry, no jack or lug wrench...crank for the spare tire is in the front basement storage area. Do not put a 4 way lug wrench on your wheel lug nuts, get a dedicated thin wall socket and breaker bar.

rracer5 02-26-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny (Post 2034673)
Sorry, no jack or lug wrench...crank for the spare tire is in the front basement storage area. Do not put a 4 way lug wrench on your wheel lug nuts, get a dedicated thin wall socket and breaker bar.

But, use a torque wrench when you put the lugs back on. Actually, you should carry one to check the torque for the first 150 miles or so and any other time a tire/wheel is removed and reinstalled. :trink39:

BriaBeck 02-26-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Do not put a 4 way lug wrench on your wheel lug nuts, get a dedicated thin wall socket and breaker bar.

Why?:confused:

SilhouettePenny 02-27-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BriaBeck (Post 2034915)
Why?:confused:

The manufacturer ships most rigs with a cheap thin metal cap pressed onto a standard automotive lug nut. One twist of the nut with a 4 way that does not completely encircle the lug nut and you have a damaged but almost impossible lug nut to remove and reinstall. Additionally, a lot of wheel manufacturers aluminum design won't allow a 4 way to seat properly, hence the thin wall socket suggestion. TSC or any auto parts store can get you a 24" breaker bar and socket for the new lug nuts, which will be a different size than the cheap original. First upgrade on a new camper = solid chrome lug nuts from Amazon. While you're at the parts place get yourself a 30mm socket for the water heater drain also, and some Teflon tape.

rracer5 02-27-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

4 ways are shallow & grab just the end of the nut. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny (Post 2035009)
The manufacturer ships most rigs with a cheap thin metal cap pressed onto a standard automotive lug nut. One twist of the nut with a 4 way that does not completely encircle the lug nut and you have a damaged but almost impossible lug nut to remove and reinstall. Additionally, a lot of wheel manufacturers aluminum design won't allow a 4 way to seat properly, hence the thin wall socket suggestion. TSC or any auto parts store can get you a 24" breaker bar and socket for the new lug nuts, which will be a different size than the cheap original. First upgrade on a new camper = solid chrome lug nuts from Amazon. While you're at the parts place get yourself a 30mm socket for the water heater drain also, and some Teflon tape.

Make that a deep well socket preferably a 6 sided one! :trink39:

BriaBeck 02-27-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny (Post 2035009)

Ahh, got ya. Makes sense if you got all that blingy stuff.

No danger of that happening with me... I've just got your regular old school nuttin' fancy plane jane good ol' reliable no frills all bang no flash getter' dun lug nutz.

4-way will continue to work just fine.

:trink39:

upflying 03-02-2019 07:32 PM

I purchased one of these jacks for my TT..it combines a bottle jack with the safety stand.
https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-6409...s%2C230&sr=8-4

spock123 03-03-2019 09:45 AM

I donít carry a bottle jack for the camper, if I was to have a flat on my Cedar Creek I would use the Level-up to jack the camper up