Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   FR3 (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/)
-   -   Slide out seals splitting (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/slide-out-seals-splitting-183809.html)

Eastonfloyd 04-29-2019 12:55 PM

Slide out seals splitting

All 4 seals are splitting at the base or "hinge" on the vertical seals on my 2017 DS30 FR3. I've treated the rubber with the recommended conditioner each season and they continue to be pliable like new. Has anyone else seen this? What do you order to replace them? Are they repairable? Any help or suggestions welcome!

leisurelarry 04-29-2019 04:39 PM

Amazon has an selection of “RV slide seals”. You should be able to match them up.

Eastonfloyd 04-29-2019 07:14 PM

Thanks Larry! I've contacted the dealer and left a message with FR in hopes they can identify the OEM. Being a little over two years old, I'm hoping the exact part is still available. If I strike out, I guess I'll try my luck with finding a match. I was wondering if black weatherproof tape will hold the split sections together until I can properly replace?

cnower 04-29-2019 08:51 PM

Good luck mine did the same thing. I replaced with https://rv.steelerubber.com/universa...on-70-3709-265. An exact match would have been nice but i think these seal alot better and are much less apt to be tore. I would not think to much into the way you treat them wont make a bit of difference. The way they are attached from factory they basically have to flip back in half not the best design but some ppls are not ripped mine certainly did. Short term one guy on here used gorilla tape.

Tiger 4416 04-30-2019 08:30 AM

Check more issues

A few months ago I had major seal issues to the large slide on my 2017 30ds. It would leak when slides were in. There are small rollers on the front and rear of the slide box (up the sides) to help keep it straight when it retracts. The one on the front had shattered, allowing the slide to move toward the front of the MH. In fact, the bracket of the roller had begun cutting into the side of the slide as it was moved in and out. Split the seals as well. Be sure to have this looked at as well.

My service guys did a pressure test to find my leaks (also one on the windshield which the dealer had attempted to fix 3 times)

GO TIGERS!
:signhavefun:

aircommuter 04-30-2019 12:21 PM

I have been using Steel rubber products for a while for car restoration and they make superior quality products for RV use also.

Eastonfloyd 04-30-2019 12:47 PM

Thanks Tiger, that's great advice! I'm scheduled with a dependable local RV shop Monday. I'll add that to the list. The dealership has responded, they said Forest River wanted pictures to verify which seal system they installed. Sent pictures, awaiting reply.

BillyBass 04-30-2019 12:52 PM

Shouldn't that be cover under warranty

BillyBass 04-30-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastonfloyd (Post 2084698)
Thanks Tiger, that's great advice! I'm scheduled with a dependable local RV shop Monday. I'll add that to the list. The dealership has responded, they said Forest River wanted pictures to verify which seal system they installed. Sent pictures, awaiting reply.

I would like to know is FR going to reimburse you for that I have a friend thats going thru the same thing but a different brand and they dont cover it thanks

Eastonfloyd 04-30-2019 03:33 PM

I paid for an extra year, but this is now outside the warranty. I agree that this seems more of a defect than a normal warranty item. You would think the designed life expectancy would be more than flexing for 50 cycles are so.

KEN9XL 04-30-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastonfloyd (Post 2084836)
I paid for an extra year, but this is now outside the warranty. I agree that this seems more of a defect than a normal warranty item. You would think the designed life expectancy would be more than flexing for 50 cycles are so.

Write and call Forest River. Explain what you have done and tell them you suspect a defective product was installed.

Just went through same issue with mine (2017 F.R. Heritage Glen 272RL).
Warranty on TT expired after one year and notice problem 2 months beyond.

I live in New England, so I explained to F.R., it was on the road six months and covered six months, so I never used the TT for full year. I finally made a trip to Elkhart Indianna with pictures or slider rubber gasket issue along with contacts, dates, times, person both E-Mail & phone calls. Stopped in Goshen, Indianna and spoke to the service department manager for my particular make & model.

It made a difference, it was repaired by end of summer but got it covered by warranty. FREE is always better for me.

Good Luck!

Lazurus 05-01-2019 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEN9XL (Post 2084946)
Write and call Forest River. Explain what you have done and tell them you suspect a defective product was installed.

Just went through same issue with mine (2017 F.R. Heritage Glen 272RL).
Warranty on TT expired after one year and notice problem 2 months beyond.

I live in New England, so I explained to F.R., it was on the road six months and covered six months, so I never used the TT for full year. I finally made a trip to Elkhart Indianna with pictures or slider rubber gasket issue along with contacts, dates, times, person both E-Mail & phone calls. Stopped in Goshen, Indianna and spoke to the service department manager for my particular make & model.

It made a difference, it was repaired by end of summer but got it covered by warranty. FREE is always better for me.

Good Luck!

Very good post. i will be looking into this. Thanks

Eastonfloyd 05-01-2019 10:57 AM

Thanks Ken for the sound advice. I just sent a letter to Forest River explaining my observations. (I happen to be a retired engineer, expert in root cause analysis.) The fact that all seals are failing simultaneously is strong evidence of a material defect of the rubber. They have yet to return my initial call, however.

KEN9XL 05-01-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastonfloyd (Post 2085439)
Thanks Ken for the sound advice. I just sent a letter to Forest River explaining my observations. (I happen to be a retired engineer, expert in root cause analysis.) The fact that all seals are failing simultaneously is strong evidence of a material defect of the rubber. They have yet to return my initial call, however.

Don't expect miracles. They sent generic email continuously to me and phone calls made no difference and never returned. I happen to be traveling to Elkhart and made a surprise visit after touring their manufacturing plant. Interesting once you meet in person the turn around.

Good Luck & Safe Travels

KEN9XL 05-01-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazurus (Post 2085181)
Very good post. i will be looking into this. Thanks

I wish you luck. I was very surprised when after visiting the service department manager in person the response, especially once I mentioned I had emailed and called with no results. Of course it helped too that the service manger was female and I had my wife with me and asked about areas to visit. We spent about an hour talking and at the end I was told I would get an E-Mail and to forward to my dealer but they must respond to this particular person, no one else. I was very happy with outcome.

Safe travels and good luck whatever you may do or try.

JohnD10 05-01-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastonfloyd (Post 2085439)

The fact that all seals are failing simultaneously is strong evidence of a material defect of the rubber.

Probably not a defect...

But possibly aged out rubber stock.

Tires do the same thing!

If you are out of warranty, they probably won't cover it unless you make a big stink.

KEN9XL 05-02-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnD10 (Post 2085907)
Probably not a defect...

But possibly aged out rubber stock.

Tires do the same thing!

If you are out of warranty, they probably won't cover it unless you make a big stink.

It's funny you should say that (aged out, old rubber) because that is what I said to them and then asked them to check my RV and their stock.
I did not get an answer, just a simple shrug and smile.
You figure it out from there.

My thought process told me they know but won't admit it.

JohnD10 05-02-2019 03:25 PM

I just recently discovered one of my slide seals doing the same thing.

Trailer is four years old this month.

KEN9XL 05-02-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnD10 (Post 2086413)
I just recently discovered one of my slide seals doing the same thing.

Trailer is four years old this month.

Wow! A little beyond warranty, but you would think they would last longer.

I was told after my slide out rubber gaskets were repaired to make sure I treat them on a regular basis. It was also mentioned to me that was the reason my rubber slide out gaskets failed. I did not properly treat them.

Got product on Amazon (Thetford RV Slide Out Rubber Seal Conditioner)
Check them out - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thetford+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

NMWildcat 05-02-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEN9XL (Post 2086475)
Wow! A little beyond warranty, but you would think they would last longer.

I was told after my slide out rubber gaskets were repaired to make sure I treat them on a regular basis. It was also mentioned to me that was the reason my rubber slide out gaskets failed. I did not properly treat them.

Got product on Amazon (Thetford RV Slide Out Rubber Seal Conditioner)
Check them out - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thetford+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

I've never treated any of my slide seals on any RV with anything. My current RV is 7 years old. Seals are fine. I suspect there are different qualities of seals?