Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   New GMC Tailgate (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/new-gmc-tailgate-192703.html)

BandJCarm 08-23-2019 03:32 PM

New GMC Tailgate

Anyone have one?

Do they come on HD trucks?

Can you exchange a specific truck's tailgate if you don't want it?

I just read where they won't work if you have a trailer hitch and ball in the receiver. If that's true, that's a deal killer. Have boat trailer, ATV trailer, etc.

GXPWeasel1 08-23-2019 03:44 PM

I can't answer any of your questions, unfortunately, but if you live in the rust belt like I do, I'd be skeptical of longevity on them for sure...

upflying 08-23-2019 03:48 PM

I've only seen them on commercials and they appear to be only available on the $75,000 Denali's.
Like all gee-whiz gizmos, I'd wait until GM puts them on all Silverados and Sierras. The price of the option should come down and some feed back from the early adopters becomes available.
I might just put a $100 folding ladder on the tailgate of my Ram.

BandJCarm 08-23-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 2169485)
I've only seen them on commercials and they appear to be only available on the $75,000 Denali's.
Like all gee-whiz gizmos, I'd wait until GM puts them on all Silverados and Sierras. The price of the option should come down and some feed back from the early adopters becomes available.
I might just put a $100 folding ladder on the tailgate of my Ram.

OK. But I paid $53,000 for a GMC Denali Dually Diesel.

I did find some answers finally.....

Availability

The MultiPro tailgate is assigned GM RPO code QK2 and is standard on the following GMC models:
It is not available on any other 2019 Sierra 1500 models, trim levels or equipment groups, such as:
Those who wish to have a traditional tailgate instead of the MultiPro on their 2019 GMC Sierra can select the regular tailgate option (RPO code QK1).

spydunks 08-23-2019 04:11 PM

Looks like a great tool, until it gets tweaked, or something dropped on it (like all tailgates do, eventually).
Lots of moving parts/hinges/latches to get aligned and then stay that way.

upflying 08-23-2019 04:49 PM

I also hope GM designed the tailgate with some sort of theft prevention. That Multipro looks expensive.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...906-story.html

Thurman 08-24-2019 09:01 AM

Speaking of theft prevention: There's been a run of tailgate thefts from late model trucks within a certain area around here. Just last week the police raised a home in this nice neighborhood area and found seven (7) late model truck tailgates in The young man's bedroom. The young man told police that he was just trying to make some money to buy a golf cart.

TheWolfPaq82 08-24-2019 09:09 AM

I'm watching to see how these perform in the long run. Co-worker got a F250 couple years back to pull his new 5ver. I'm not sure of the year...he bought used. It has the fold down step on the tailgate with the popup handle. He didn't try it when he bought it, but loved the idea of having it. First time he used it...BOOM !! welds let go and he racked his shin big time. He and a friend of his...both machinist, tore it apart and rebuilt it and now he says he could put 500 lbs on it with no issues.

chaps2018 08-24-2019 09:17 AM

New GMC Tailgate

I hope that tailgate is counterweighted. Else it would be a #%{Ä< to close

One thing I have found with the fifth wheel is that this step deploys easily when the rig is connected.

AMP Research 75306-01A BedStep Retractable Bumper Step for 2009-2018 Ram 1500, 2010-2018 Ram 2500/3500 (Excludes Dual Exhaust & EcoDiesel Models) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041FXOIA..._fEuyDbQF8GQKA

rockfordroo 08-24-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thurman (Post 2169833)
Speaking of theft prevention: There's been a run of tailgate thefts from late model trucks within a certain area around here. Just last week the police raised a home in this nice neighborhood area and found seven (7) late model truck tailgates in The young man's bedroom. The young man told police that he was just trying to make some money to buy a golf cart.

Sorry to continue the hijack, but that's funny :roflblack:

He stole 7 tailgates to buy a golf cart. Why didn't he just steal the golf cart??

BandJCarm 08-24-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfordroo (Post 2169838)
Sorry to continue the hijack, but that's funny :roflblack:

He stole 7 tailgates to buy a golf cart. Why didn't he just steal the golf cart??

Darwin.

acadianbob 08-24-2019 10:50 AM

Try using that tailgate with an insert in the hitch. . . . . . bang goes your tailgate . . .

babock 08-24-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GXPWeasel1 (Post 2169480)
I can't answer any of your questions, unfortunately, but if you live in the rust belt like I do, I'd be skeptical of longevity on them for sure...

It's made of aluminum so that should help.

bshort 08-24-2019 10:53 AM

I have one. I don't use it much.

BandJCarm 08-24-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babock (Post 2169877)
It's made of aluminum so that should help.

What?

That's the final death knell! If I want an aluminum truck I'll either buy a can of coke or a Ford truck.

Maybe they'll change it someday. I'll be trading trucks (and campers) when they're paid off........I'll be 105 then. Maybe they'll be better by that time.

babock 08-24-2019 11:58 AM

Every truck will eventually have a high aluminum content.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 2169881)
What?

That's the final death knell! If I want an aluminum truck I'll either buy a can of coke or a Ford truck.

Maybe they'll change it someday. I'll be trading trucks (and campers) when they're paid off........I'll be 105 then. Maybe they'll be better by that time.

bubbles 08-24-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babock (Post 2169913)

From recycled 737 MAX aircraft fuselage's.

BandJCarm 08-24-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babock (Post 2169913)

Not sure that's true. But even if it is, the one I have isn't aluminum. And I'm real old! Big time body shop guy I know won't even work on 'em, period.

babock 08-24-2019 03:07 PM

Already true for the big 3. New RAMs have a lot of aluminum.

Personally, I love a light tailgate with opening assist.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 2169970)
Not sure that's true. But even if it is, the one I have isn't aluminum. And I'm real old! Big time body shop guy I know won't even work on 'em, period.

Iwannacamp 08-24-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 2169970)

1st. I agree I have only heard bad things... so I feel the same.

I remember when mechanics refused to work on electronic ignition.
I remember when they couldnít work on complicated carbureted engines.
EGR valves and catalytic converters had to be removed.
I remember when they hated fuel injection and PCMs.
I remember how we were forced to use R134A refrigerant and how it wasnít going to work(I am mad about R22) and mandated recovery.
I remember when they came out with glue on body parts.

I really donít want an aluminum truck either. If itís weight...I would sacrifice the diesel first.