Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Buy a Real Generator (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/buy-a-real-generator-198232.html)

Barry Allen 11-21-2019 07:40 PM

Buy a Real Generator
 
OK, I can't hold back anymore. There was someone who recently posted about being surrounded by noisy generators. And the ensuing discussion revolved around why they might need to run the generator.


I have been exactly there and it drives me crazy! A $1/4 million rig parked next to me with a $100 generator grinding away.


Folks, you are TOTALLY missing the point! People are spending +/- $40K on a truck and +/- $30K on a trailer, and then they go buy a friggin' $100 generator? Give me a break! Spend $1000 to get a Honda or equivalent and then run it all night long if you want because no-one is going to suffer if you get a quiet generator.

Mr Towed 11-21-2019 07:56 PM

I hate to say it, but I agree. I think running an open frame generator is just plain disrespectful. The price difference isn't insignificant but like the OP said, nothing is cheap in this game. Maybe if you're at like a nascar race or an ATV or motorcycle event it's just one more loud engine, but if you're at a camp site people tend to be there to relax and enjoy some form of nature, as insulated as it may be inside a house on wheels. Especially with lower cost alternatives to Honda and Yamaha i think it's inexcusable.

dodgemark 11-22-2019 05:41 AM

Well, 2 grand for 2 quiet Hondaís or 400 for 1 generator. Sorry Iíll run my 1 during hours allowed. No different than those people that fire up there motor home real early to leave and let it run whole time to hook up the road. Itís called relax! Your camping, leave bitching at work

NJKris 11-22-2019 06:39 AM

Agree 100% Barry. The same inverter generator with the Champion name tag can be had for under 500 bucks. I bought a pair of them at Blain's Farm and Fleet for 350 bucks each last year! The older cube style.

TitanMike 11-22-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Towed (Post 2226335)
I hate to say it, but I agree. I think running an open frame generator is just plain disrespectful. The price difference isn't insignificant but like the OP said, nothing is cheap in this game. Maybe if you're at like a nascar race or an ATV or motorcycle event it's just one more loud engine, but if you're at a camp site people tend to be there to relax and enjoy some form of nature, as insulated as it may be inside a house on wheels. Especially with lower cost alternatives to Honda and Yamaha i think it's inexcusable.


If doing so in a crowded area I totally agree. If way out in the "boonies", all by yourself, not an issue in my world.

To be fair, there are different grades of "Open Frame" generators. Some have a flat "pancake" muffler that drops the noise level down to maybe 85 dbA. There are also those like the Honda EM3500 or Champion 3500/4000 models that use an "automotive" type muffler and noise is below the required max for use in National Forest Campgrounds. (less than 70 dbA with some exceptions).

Inverter types are far quieter but even those can get noisy when running at full power.


It really boils down to how considerate of others the generator user is. For some reason people, over the last several decades, have become less considerate of others in just about all of life's activities. There's an attitude of "i can do anything I want and to heck with those that don't like it" that's become way too common. Not just camping. The highways, parking lots, supermarkets, sidewalks, and even in neighborhoods. The list has become endless and "politeness" that used to exist a few generations back is becoming extinct.

ependydad 11-22-2019 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 219677

5picker 11-22-2019 12:06 PM

As long as you are within the specs of noise regulation wherever you are camped, it really doesn't matter.

If there are rules where you are camped for a certain DB of noise level, then you need to abide.

If there are no rules, anything goes and while it may bother you, the folks doing so are doing nothing wrong or illegal.

We can talk all day about courtesy but that is simply an opinion and everyone has one that's different.

And I agree Doug... much ado about nothing.

jd4010 11-22-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanMike (Post 2226689)
For some reason people, over the last several decades, have become less considerate of others in just about all of life's activities. There's an attitude of "i can do anything I want and to heck with those that don't like it" that's become way too common. Not just camping. The highways, parking lots, supermarkets, sidewalks, and even in neighborhoods. The list has become endless and "politeness" that used to exist a few generations back is becoming extinct.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! Well said!

spicercars 11-22-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd4010 (Post 2226714)
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! Well said!

I agree 100 percent. Well said.

mxdad 11-22-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanMike (Post 2226689)
It really boils down to how considerate of others the generator user is. For some reason people, over the last several decades, have become less considerate of others in just about all of life's activities. There's an attitude of "i can do anything I want and to heck with those that don't like it" that's become way too common. Not just camping. The highways, parking lots, supermarkets, sidewalks, and even in neighborhoods. The list has become endless and "politeness" that used to exist a few generations back is becoming extinct.

This goes both ways. You could say that over the last several decades people let more and more things bother them. Camping (like other things in life) has evolved...instead of people in tents and popups, we now have houses on wheels. Camping gives some people a way to get away but keep their modern conveniences. While I don't think that this replaces common courtesy, it is something to be mindful of.

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that big of a deal. If you don't like it, you can move. Go find some BLM land out in the middle of nowhere and boondock there. Don't be that person....the one that wants everyone to conform to you just because you don't like something.

Tom48 11-22-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgemark (Post 2226481)
Well, 2 grand for 2 quiet Hondaís or 400 for 1 generator. Sorry Iíll run my 1 during hours allowed. No different than those people that fire up there motor home real early to leave and let it run whole time to hook up the road. Itís called relax! Your camping, leave bitching at work

Sorry. I have to come down on the OPEN FRAME GENERATORS ARE BAD side of this.

Bad not only because they are rude and obnoxiously loud. They are that. Frankly ought to be outlawed totally within 100 yds. of humans.

But secondly, most produce a really poor quality of current. Throw it on an oscilloscope and not only is it not a good sine wave, but it puts out a ton of distortion.

Most are bad for electronics and bad for motors. They cause excess heat and motor wear. Duh. The AC is a big motor and is not served well by MOST, especially the cheap, open frame generators.

OptionS: Build a big sound proof collapsible box then to save neighbors the temptation of sabotaging the thing to shut it up. OR Save it for center field at NASCAR.

TitanMike 11-22-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxdad (Post 2226741)
This goes both ways. You could say that over the last several decades people let more and more things bother them. Camping (like other things in life) has evolved...instead of people in tents and popups, we now have houses on wheels. Camping gives some people a way to get away but keep their modern conveniences. While I don't think that this replaces common courtesy, it is something to be mindful of.

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that big of a deal. If you don't like it, you can move. Go find some BLM land out in the middle of nowhere and boondock there. Don't be that person....the one that wants everyone to conform to you just because you don't like something.


I totally agree with everything you said and I don't think I "am that person".

I do wonder why people who want total peace and quiet while camping would attend a NASCAR event or park their rig on BLM land practically next to someone who has a "Contractor Generator" sitting 50 feet behind their camper. Ditto for the person who parks in among several tent campers and the first thing they do is start up their generator.

When I went to Quartzsite last January I found a nice spot that was well away from others because I knew I'd be running my generator (and inverter type) and wanted to be a "good neighbor". I heard other generators running off in the distance but by the time the noise reached my campsite it was only noticeable, not loud.

I think people just need to be more considerate in both directions. Don't expect others to conform totally to your standards and at the same time give some thought to what THEY will have to put up with.


This reminds me of an encounter at a Forest Service Campground that exemplifies what I was saying.

I arrived at a really nice campground up in the Washington State Cascades and as I was looking for a spot another camper approached me. Explained that a group of Motorcyclists were gathering there for the weekend and advised me that there would be some "motorcycle noise" as they came and went as well as a party Saturday night. In short he was letting me know what to expect so I could decide whether or not to stay.

Turned out that the noise they created was less than what happens in my neighborhood when one of my neighbors has a family get-together or when the Harley owner down the street leaves for a ride.

NJKris 11-22-2019 02:04 PM

Not trying to got tit-for-tat with you, and I already know you won't agree with me, but in reference to this,
Quote:

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that big of a deal. If you don't like it, you can move.
Why should someone who is being bothered by someone being inconsiderate (and I'm talking about being MAJORLY inconsiderate, not one of those 'just get over it' moments) have to move? Several people have said that and I don't get it.

mxdad 11-22-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom48 (Post 2226749)
Sorry. I have to come down on the OPEN FRAME GENERATORS ARE BAD side of this.

Bad not only because they are rude and obnoxiously loud. They are that. Frankly ought to be outlawed totally within 100 yds. of humans.

But secondly, most produce a really poor quality of current. Throw it on an oscilloscope and not only is it not a good sine wave, but it puts out a ton of distortion.

Most are bad for electronics and bad for motors. They cause excess heat and motor wear. Duh. The AC is a big motor and is not served well by MOST, especially the cheap, open frame generators.

OptionS: Build a big sound proof collapsible box then to save neighbors the temptation of sabotaging the thing to shut it up. OR Save it for center field at NASCAR.

Do you have THD specs for them? I know they aren't easy to find, but Northern Tool states that all of their generators have <6% THD....including open frames:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...des_generators

Scroll towards the bottom of the page.

Generac has it to.
https://www.generac.com/for-homeowner...ucts/xp-series

Splashes3 11-22-2019 02:13 PM

Inconsiderate is inconsiderate.
The majority of folks ARE conforming to the c/g's rules....but it only takes one....and why should the conforming have to move.

5picker 11-22-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJKris (Post 2226754)
Not trying to got tit-for-tat with you, and I already know you won't agree with me, but in reference to this, Why should someone who is being bothered by someone being inconsiderate (and I'm talking about being MAJORLY inconsiderate, not one of those 'just get over it' moments) have to move? Several people have said that and I don't get it.

And what is the real definition of 'inconsiderate'?

Unfortunately that word has opinion associated with it.

What might bother me, might not you and vice-versa.

I'll say it again, it all boils down to whether you are breaking any rules/laws.

If your generator meets the standards for noise level where you are using it and you use it during the hours set forth, it makes no difference how much it bothers someone. You are not doing anything wrong or illegal.

5picker 11-22-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splashes3 (Post 2226765)
Inconsiderate is inconsiderate.
The majority of folks ARE conforming to the c/g's rules....but it only takes one....and why should the conforming have to move.

If the the person is breaking the rules, they are breaking the rules and no one needs to conform to their actions.

Talk to them, inform them, turn them in but if you conform to their actions, they've won and rules have lost.

May as well just be cave men.

NJKris 11-22-2019 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To me the definition of 'considerate' goes hand in hand with this rule my mother taught me. Now I know that varies from person to person, and an ex-con might not have the same value system I do, and might laugh at this and say, "I won't stab you if you don't stab me", but this works most of the time:

mxdad 11-22-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanMike (Post 2226750)
I totally agree with everything you said and I don't think I "am that person".

That wasn't pointed toward you at all....I can tell by your posts that you are definitely not that person.


Quote:

Originally Posted by NJKris (Post 2226754)
Not trying to got tit-for-tat with you, and I already know you won't agree with me, but in reference to this, Why should someone who is being bothered by someone being inconsiderate (and I'm talking about being MAJORLY inconsiderate, not one of those 'just get over it' moments) have to move? Several people have said that and I don't get it.

First off, not everyone views this as inconsiderate. However, if the rules are followed and you have an issue with it, people are not obligated to move and spend their time to pacify you.

Our family boondocks a lot. I put almost 1500 hours a year on our generator, and its been my experience that people who have loud generators know it, and will try to make it better with placement, diverting the sound, etc. Not all do, but most. Conversely, there are people who know it bothers them and park way far away from everyone else instead of parking next to our compound and then complaining about the noise.

Like I said before....if you want peace and quiet, go find it in the middle of nowhere by yourself. Otherwise, don't be that person.

mxdad 11-22-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5picker (Post 2226766)
And what is the real definition of 'inconsiderate'?

Unfortunately that word has opinion associated with it.

What might bother me, might not you and vice-versa.

I'll say it again, it all boils down to whether you are breaking any rules/laws.

If your generator meets the standards for noise level where you are using it and you use it during the hours set forth, it makes no difference how much it bothers someone. You are not doing anything wrong or illegal.

You beat me to it......


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.