Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   What do you think of this deal? (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/what-do-you-think-of-this-deal-200760.html)

rrosson67 01-25-2020 01:02 PM

What do you think of this deal?

1 Attachment(s)
Was googling around and stumbled on to this deal at Home Depot. Anyone have any knowledge of this generator? Is this really a good deal. 2 generators and a parallel kit all for $900.

TIA

A32Deuce 01-25-2020 01:25 PM

Looked at the specs. Looks like a good deal. I have the bigger RV generator at home and are very happy with it performance. Now the people that like imported ones will have something to say, but I have no problem with it.

5picker 01-25-2020 01:52 PM

Champion makes good generators and the merits of them (and others) have been discussed ad nauseam on this forum previously and often.

That said, looks like a good deal and one I'd be happy with.

bikendan 01-25-2020 01:52 PM

Yes, very good deal.

boondocking 01-25-2020 04:40 PM

Yes, very good deal.
I own two Champ 2000's and have not had any problems in 7 years. They both start first pull after siting for 6 months through the winter season.

JP Camper 01-26-2020 02:22 PM

Harbor Freight Predator 3500 is cheaper and you only need to fuel and store one instead of two, just my opinion.

Robin Hood 01-26-2020 03:13 PM

2000 watt Champion generators

Good deal, the 3500 watt Harbor freight Gen. is
a good buy, but too heavy to carry for most of
us old guys, and a little noisy to run in areas
with other campers. I have one to use at home
in my storage building, and during power outages. :trink39:
Bob & Nancy
2015 FR3 30DS
Roseburg, Oregon

CaptnJohn 01-26-2020 05:24 PM

Good buy! I have 2 and parallel kit. They never fail.

markb422 01-26-2020 05:27 PM

The Predator (Harbor Freight) 3500 inverter generator spec for sound is 57db. The 2000 Champion inverter has 53db. Make sure the generators you compare are both inverter. That price does seem like a good deal.

bikendan 01-26-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP Camper (Post 2257968)
Harbor Freight Predator 3500 is cheaper and you only need to fuel and store one instead of two, just my opinion.

That generator weighs over 100lbs. A 2000w inverter generator weighs half that. So unless you need to run the a/c, you only need to take the one 50lb 2000w inverter generator, instead of hauling the bulky 100lb plus 3500w unit. And a paralleled pair of 2000w inverter generators will have more available power than the single 3500w unit.

JP Camper 01-26-2020 09:34 PM

Mine is as quiet as a Honda, I only use mine a couple times a year and get help lifting it out of the truck.

djemgoss 01-26-2020 11:28 PM

What do you think of this deal

I have this Champion and its quiet, weighs 93 pounds, but I don't have a problem taking it out of the back of my truck. Starts on one or two pulls!
Runs my A/C just fine.
Its only $849 and your only dealing with one unit!

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...33/p67307.html

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...67307_1000.jpg

simiHal 01-26-2020 11:51 PM

Ití seems to be a good deal and can be used for basic needs even in parallel BUT it may be an issue if you want to use your AC since it/they donít have a 30 amp connection. Just something to consider.

boondocking 01-27-2020 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simiHal (Post 2258264)
It’ seems to be a good deal and can be used for basic needs even in parallel BUT it may be an issue if you want to use your AC since it/they don’t have a 30 amp connection. Just something to consider.

The Champion parallel kit that I have has a 30 amp receptacle.

NJKris 01-27-2020 08:19 AM

look for parallel connector places other than HD, they tend to overprice them. I got my Champion connector for about 38 bucks 2 years ago. The generator prices are good though.

karlrmac 01-27-2020 10:09 AM

Champion 2000

Yes, that is a great deal on a great brand of generator. You will love the weight and its dependable. We have the square version and it was 449 new from Atwoods. If you camp in the winter, you only need one. In the summer get another and a parallel kit and it should run one AC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrosson67 (Post 2257477)
Was googling around and stumbled on to this deal at Home Depot. Anyone have any knowledge of this generator? Is this really a good deal. 2 generators and a parallel kit all for $900.

TIA

NJKris 01-27-2020 10:38 AM

Only issue with that one is weight, don't want to be picking up a 100# generator (with fuel/oil)as you get older, not fun, don't always have a partner to help you. That's the nice thing about the two in parallel, if it's hot and you will need A/C, bring both, if not, just the one. The Champion cube style I have also stack on top of each other, very small footprint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djemgoss (Post 2258260)
I have this Champion and its quiet, weighs 93 pounds, but I don't have a problem taking it out of the back of my truck. Starts on one or two pulls!
Runs my A/C just fine.
Its only $849 and your only dealing with one unit!

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...33/p67307.html

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...67307_1000.jpg

RedhawkCC 01-27-2020 03:32 PM

Love our Champion Duel Fuel

We have the 3400 watt duel fuel Champion and it is perfect. Others have mentioned the weight of the 3400 but we leave it in the bed of the pickup for overnights. Also, the Champion website tells us it operates at 59 dBA which is good but not as low as some smaller units. We love our Champion and would buy it again.

njfishing 01-27-2020 03:49 PM

What do you think of this deal?

That a great deal and I hear good things about the Champions. I bought the 3200 Firman at Costco on sale for $489. It is 100 pounds so I hear you but that is not an issue for me and Iíd rather have one big unit then 2 small ones. One thing most people donít understand is that decibels are on logarithmic scale so a one or two point difference does not mean itís only slighter louder, its actually a good deal louder.

boondocking 01-27-2020 05:41 PM

A 1 db increase = a 7% increase in perceived sound. A little bit louder, but not a good deal louder.

U.S.ArmyVeteran 01-27-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

TIA

I have found that Champions Customer Service to be excellent.

Your mileage may vary!

boondocking 01-29-2020 05:48 PM

^^
Yes, Champion does go above and beyond in the service department.
I messed up one of my 5 year old Champion 2000 by not opening the air vent on the gas cap, it sputtered and died.
I emailed the service dept and explained what happened. A service tech phoned me back within hours and explained a couple things to try and start it.
The things we tried did not work.
They then shipped me a new part free of charge even though the generator was no longer under warranty.
Now that is excellent service, bar none.

bikendan 01-29-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boondocking (Post 2259893)
^^
Yes, Champion does go above and beyond in the service department.
I messed up one of my 5 year old Champion 2000 by not opening the air vent on the gas cap, it sputtered and died.
I emailed the service dept and explained what happened. A service tech phoned me back within hours and explained a couple things to try and start it.
The things we tried did not work.
They then shipped me a new part free of charge even though the generator was no longer under warranty.
Now that is excellent service, bar none.

Yep, in spite of some mess ups by CS reps, Champion sent me a free brand new carb, for my 4 year old 3500w/4000w open-frame generator.

Rockinh 01-30-2020 12:48 AM

generator

Quote:

TIA

I was very impressed with the champion inverters. I saw one in an RV park and it was so quiet, I had to ask if it was running. That said, a lot of good points in the previous posts and I would add this. The larger unit, 3400 watt can be had with electric start, the cheaper models have recoil start. In tests, the larger champion was a little louder than the predator 3500. The electric start is standard on the predator and its about $300 less than the electric start champion. Champion does have very good and highly recommended service. They also have a good track record. Predator is a somewhat newer unit but has been favorably reviewed and tested and tho they lack service, they replace them with no questions under warranty or extended warranty. I went for the $300 savings and got the predator, it has worked well for me. Just a side note, the 2000 watt unit in the picture is not the stack-able unit, which is kinda handy if you need both but probably not a deal breaker. I leave my 3500 in the truck so the 100 lbs. is not an issue.

dbledan 01-30-2020 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinh (Post 2260083)
I was very impressed with the champion inverters. I saw one in an RV park and it was so quiet, I had to ask if it was running. That said, a lot of good points in the previous posts and I would add this. The larger unit, 3400 watt can be had with electric start, the cheaper models have recoil start. In tests, the larger champion was a little louder than the predator 3500. The electric start is standard on the predator and its about $300 less than the electric start champion. Champion does have very good and highly recommended service. They also have a good track record. Predator is a somewhat newer unit but has been favorably reviewed and tested and tho they lack service, they replace them with no questions under warranty or extended warranty. I went for the $300 savings and got the predator, it has worked well for me. Just a side note, the 2000 watt unit in the picture is not the stack-able unit, which is kinda handy if you need both but probably not a deal breaker. I leave my 3500 in the truck so the 100 lbs. is not an issue.

The champion in the pick stacks with the parallel kit. The older ones stacked directly though. Great deal on them.

The 3400 and 3500 champions also are standard with the electric start but not sure about the 2000w ones. The remote start is added to single fuel units but not the dual fuel ones.

How do you like your predator? I only passed on it because they had not come out with the parallel kit for the big ones and I wanted dual fuel.Attachment 222631

Larry0071 01-30-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boondocking (Post 2258641)
A 1 db increase = a 7% increase in perceived sound. A little bit louder, but not a good deal louder.

Yea, 6 db is doubled sound energy, 3 db is a 50% gain in sound energy.

NJKris 01-30-2020 07:52 AM

I never did quite understand logarithms on the db scale. Should have paid more attention in class.

boondocking 01-30-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry0071 (Post 2260127)
Yea, 6 db is doubled sound energy, 3 db is a 50% gain in sound energy.

Yes, double the "sound energy", but not double the loudness of the sound you actually hear.

NJKris 01-30-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boondocking (Post 2260394)
Yes, double the "sound energy", but not double the loudness of the sound you actually hear.

And this is where it starts to become more difficult. The result of getting a 'C' in physics. :confused:

A32Deuce 01-30-2020 04:58 PM

If its not as loud as a Top Fuel car at the starting line, then its good to me!

dbledan 01-30-2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJKris (Post 2260518)
And this is where it starts to become more difficult. The result of getting a 'C' in physics. :confused:

Yea just let them run side by side. Which ever one I hear is louder....simple maf [emoji2962]

Rockinh 02-03-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbledan (Post 2260086)
The champion in the pick stacks with the parallel kit. The older ones stacked directly though. Great deal on them.

The 3400 and 3500 champions also are standard with the electric start but not sure about the 2000w ones. The remote start is added to single fuel units but not the dual fuel ones.

How do you like your predator? I only passed on it because they had not come out with the parallel kit for the big ones and I wanted dual fuel.Attachment 222631

I like the predator. It has some neat features. Like the molding around the filler cap which directs spilled fuel away from the unit. It has an electronic fuel shutoff. When you turn the switch off, it shuts off the fuel and cant flood the engine. Also has a screw on the fuel bowl for draining the bowl for storage. Comes standard with electric start and can actually use the champion parallel kit if you want to run 2 generators. Having said that, most generators can be paralleled with the kits. It is also a good idea to bond one of the plugs so that your surge protector doesn't give a false reading and your gfci outlets dont trip. That is true of a lot of inverters which are not internally bonded.

Boomerweps 02-03-2020 01:41 PM

Actually, THREE dB is doubling the energy.
SIX dB is what the average person perceives as a DOUBLING of sound level.
THREE dB change is what is needed for the average person to readily detect differences in sound level comparisons.
10 dB is ten times the energy.

Actual distance the sound level is measured at, and orientation to the noisier parts on the generator are almost never listed. In reality, I could converse at a normal voice level 4 feet away from my used Honda EU2000i when initially testing it. Somewhat similar to a dishwasher unit operating at full power.

bikendan 02-03-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinh (Post 2262532)
I like the predator. It has some neat features. Like the molding around the filler cap which directs spilled fuel away from the unit. It has an electronic fuel shutoff. When you turn the switch off, it shuts off the fuel and cant flood the engine. Also has a screw on the fuel bowl for draining the bowl for storage. Comes standard with electric start and can actually use the champion parallel kit if you want to run 2 generators. Having said that, most generators can be paralleled with the kits. It is also a good idea to bond one of the plugs so that your surge protector doesn't give a false reading and your gfci outlets dont trip. That is true of a lot of inverters which are not internally bonded.

The Predator 2000w inverter generator is WAY louder than the Champion. The Predator 2000w inverter generator is called "Super Quiet", when it's noise rating is 65db![emoji32] What a load of crap! That's as loud as the Champion 3500/4000w open-frame contractor-style generator.
The Champion 2000w inverter generator is rated at 53db, 12db quieter.
Now the Predator 3500w inverter generator has a much closer decibel rating to the Honda 3000i inverter generator.
I would never buy the Predator 2000w but the 3500w would buy worth buying.

boondocking 02-03-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomerweps (Post 2262570)
Actually, THREE dB is doubling the energy.
SIX dB is what the average person perceives as a DOUBLING of sound level.
THREE dB change is what is needed for the average person to readily detect differences in sound level comparisons.
10 dB is ten times the energy.

Actual distance the sound level is measured at, and orientation to the noisier parts on the generator are almost never listed. In reality, I could converse at a normal voice level 4 feet away from my used Honda EU2000i when initially testing it. Somewhat similar to a dishwasher unit operating at full power.

From the scientific literature I have read, a 10 db increase is a perceived doubling of loudness for the average person.

Larry0071 02-03-2020 02:06 PM

6 db is double sound energy unless my education has failed me as an ultrasound technician.

EDIT, MY LEARNING IS IN MEASURING SOUND AMPLITUDE ON AN A SCAN DISPLAY. I FOUND THIS:

3 dB = twice the power (Power respectively intensity - mostly calculated)
6 dB = twice the amplitude (Voltage respectively sound pressure -
mostly measured)
10 dB = twice the perceived volume (Loudness nearly sensed psychoacoustics)
Here are some db levels that correspond to the effect they have on Power Intensity, Voltage and Perception.
I would say that when referring to perception of something being twice as loud to the human ear that 10db is about right. Try it out for yourself with a vocal since our ears are most sensitive to the human voice.
PIERZ WAVOO

boondocking 02-03-2020 03:11 PM

That is exactly what I have been saying.

6 db increase is twice the energy, not twice the perceived sound.
10 db increase is twice the perceived sound.

Your education has not failed you. :)

MtBiker 02-03-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 2262579)
The Predator 2000w inverter generator is WAY louder than the Champion. The Predator 2000w inverter generator is called "Super Quiet", when it's noise rating is 65db![emoji32] What a load of crap! That's as loud as the Champion 3500/4000w open-frame contractor-style generator.
The Champion 2000w inverter generator is rated at 53db, 12db quieter.
Now the Predator 3500w inverter generator has a much closer decibel rating to the Honda 3000i inverter generator.
I would never buy the Predator 2000w but the 3500w would buy worth buying.

Have you done a side by side comparison of the Predator 2000 and the Champion? I had my Predator next to my brothers Honda and felt that they were equal in sound. If The Champion is truly quieter I would buy one in a flash. Side by side or just published numbers?

bikendan 02-03-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtBiker (Post 2262656)
Have you done a side by side comparison of the Predator 2000 and the Champion? I had my Predator next to my brothers Honda and felt that they were equal in sound. If The Champion is truly quieter I would buy one in a flash. Side by side or just published numbers?

I've heard the Champion 2000w and it's close to my Honda 2000i.
I haven't heard the Predator 2000w live but why wouldn't Harbor Freight publish a lower noise rating, if it was less than 65db. The sign at the HF stores also says 65db. 65db is definitely not "Super Quiet".

boondocking 02-03-2020 05:02 PM

My neighbor and I have compared my Champion 2000 to his Honda 2000 and they are very close to being equivalent in sound level.