Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Brake controllers (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/brake-controllers-201520.html)

Batjac 02-10-2020 06:40 PM

Brake controllers

Not really sure the best way to set up the electronic brake controller on the travel trailer. Normally I have mine set at 25, I assume this is 25%. When I got the trailer the tech at the lot said I was running it to low and it should be on 60%. I tried that but it was like throwing a boat anchor out when I went to stop. I would like to get some feedback from some of you guys on how you run yours.

woolfski 02-10-2020 06:53 PM

I guess it depends on the brake controller you are using. I have always been told to adjust the controller so the tow vehicle and the trailer stop as a single unit. The tow vehicle should share equal duty with the trailer.

Mike134 02-10-2020 07:17 PM

I adjust mine so the truck feels the same stopping with the trailer attached. Don't need more pedal effort or less.

NMWildcat 02-10-2020 08:47 PM

I follow the manual instructions for setting up the particular brand controller;). Then I adjust until it feels right for me.
I adjust for harder braking until it locks up the trailer wheels when doing a hard brake at low speed(20-25mph). Usually at the farm on a dirt road. Then I back it off until it no longer locks up the wheel.

myxkp 02-10-2020 09:50 PM

You're TV manufacturer may have some helpful information. I followed the Ford recommendation for my F150 and the trailer brakes work fine.

CincyGus 02-10-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMWildcat (Post 2266762)
I follow the manual instructions for setting up the particular brand controller;). Then I adjust until it feels right for me.
I adjust for harder braking until it locks up the trailer wheels when doing a hard brake at low speed(20-25mph). Usually at the farm on a dirt road. Then I back it off until it no longer locks up the wheel.

This is how I've done all the different ones I've had over the years, mainly because that's what the manuals all have said was the proper way. My Hard Brake was through the manual slide on the brake controller, not through the pedal. I generally end up lowering it slightly from the first setting that doesn't lock the brakes so it feels like my truck normally does when I'm breaking and not using the trailer to slow me more slowly than normal.

Here's a link to the basics. This is the same controller I used in my last truck that didn't have the controller built in it. I use the same technique to set the controller that came with my truck and it's always worked fine.

Brake Controller Settings

Lins 02-11-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolfski (Post 2266695)
I guess it depends on the brake controller you are using. I have always been told to adjust the controller so the tow vehicle and the trailer stop as a single unit. The tow vehicle should share equal duty with the trailer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike134 (Post 2266705)
I adjust mine so the truck feels the same stopping with the trailer attached. Don't need more pedal effort or less.

This is how I prefer it.

Batjac 02-11-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CincyGus (Post 2266825)
This is how I've done all the different ones I've had over the years, mainly because that's what the manuals all have said was the proper way. My Hard Brake was through the manual slide on the brake controller, not through the pedal. I generally end up lowering it slightly from the first setting that doesn't lock the brakes so it feels like my truck normally does when I'm breaking and not using the trailer to slow me more slowly than normal.

Here's a link to the basics. This is the same controller I used in my last truck that didn't have the controller built in it. I use the same technique to set the controller that came with my truck and it's always worked fine.

Brake Controller Settings

Very nice read, Thanks. That's kind of how I had did it short of locking it up.