Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   COVID-19 Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f255/)
-   -   Should we travel?? (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f255/should-we-travel-203533.html)

Justice12t 03-20-2020 11:26 AM

Should we travel??

In WNY with reservations in Delaware Seashore SP March 28th-31st.

DW just wants to camp somewhere to just get away from all of this for just a few days. Everything in NY is still closed for a few more weeks. We are not able to shift her time off.

We are currently dealing with postponing our wedding that was only a handful of weeks away. Which is driving some of the above sentence...lol

Assuming things stay open, should we take the trip?? Not trying to start something. I'm just 50\50 as to what we should do. Figured I'd ask others.

Thanks.

SeaDog 03-20-2020 11:42 AM

My take is stay put camp in the driveway and just kick back and enjoy each other. Why take the risk at this stage for you or others.

llr 03-20-2020 11:43 AM

Something only you can answer. I would be comfortable camping now but I would not go that far and to a more congested area. I am more concerned with getting back home if things get worse.

Justice12t 03-20-2020 11:44 AM

You both are the thoughts in my head. Sometimes you just need others to say it out loud to you.

formerFR 03-20-2020 12:20 PM

unless your ready to 'off-grid' in a parking lot some of the time, or have for-sure reservations somewhere, it's going to be up in the air as to what you might 'find' out there during your travels... we gone back and forth between our parents in GA and our place in AL, but not to rv parks or campgrounds - I would guess that rv parks, privately owned, are probably fine, but state and regional and local campgrounds may be a different story, or may at least have closed public spaces, like rest rooms.

I will say, though, if FUEL is of concern, NOW is the time to TRAVEL! It's great.
Diesel last purchased for $1.99 in the Opelika/Auburn AL area : )

TitanMike 03-20-2020 07:08 PM

I think the question "should we travel?" is morphing more into "Can we travel?"

It is entirely possible, depending on how serious this gets, that ALL travel other than "commerce" (highway freight, etc) will be prohibited between given areas.

When the REAL experts say they don't know how bad things are going to get it's worth paying attention.

Reverse_snowbird 03-20-2020 07:43 PM

I'd make alternative plans.

I know... I know... she really wants to get away, but it looks like more things will be shutting down in the near future and you really don't want to be stuck on the road with minimum services open.
Just my 2 cents.

Flybob 03-20-2020 07:59 PM

Many of the broad reaching decisions that are being made are the result not of the number of cases, but rather the rate of increase. As more tests / test sites come online that rate of increase will most likely increase. This will most likely drive more restrictive decisions. I think the major concern now is the potential shortage of capacity to treat seriously ill patients. As more states close campgrounds for a period of time it will most likely encourage similar actions. Rather than add the stress of a last minute closing, I suggest plan day trips to outdoor venues close to home.

HangDiver 03-20-2020 08:11 PM

I have been watching the confirmed cases for the last two days with near real-time data and it is incredible: Two days ago on 3/18 there were 7,783 confirmed cases in the US. Today, (3/20) two days later we are about to see 20,000 confirmed cases before midnight tonight.

51 people in the US died in the last 24 hours. But its the rate of change that is alarming.

SailorSam20500 03-20-2020 08:20 PM

My opinion...

It depends.

Who's going? Just the two of you and you would be jammed in the same rooms if you stayed home?
Can you make the drive from home to the cg in one day, on well under one tank of fuel?
How densely packed are the sites at the CG? How many sites are currently booked?
What are you planning to do at the CG?
Will you have enough food and beverages to cover the whole trip?
Will you be able to buy fuel to get back home?
Are you disease free at the time you are leaving?

I'd watch the news. If gas stations generally stay open, that helps a lot. If your campground has nice large sites, it would be easy to keep social distance requirements. If your activities will be sitting around your largish campsite or hiking/biking on trails, or generally staying away from other people, that would be following the recommendations.

For the above or something similar, I'd be leaning on going. Getting outside, lots of fresh air, sunshine are all good for you physically and mentally. I've always looked for ways to absolutely follow the rules, just look for ways to do so and obtain the end you want.

Worst case, you can cancel at the last minute without losing much. You will also feel better in the interim.

camper70 03-20-2020 09:21 PM

We are heading home from our winter trip early because of concerns about being able to get home if this continues to get worse. We were also concerned about getting sick and being quarantined far from home. Some of the private parks we have stayed in on the way home have closed all of their facilities except the campsites. I think if you can find something close to home you would be alright. Just avoid others and wash your hands or use sanitizer for anything you touch. That is what we are doing.

DougW 03-20-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HangDiver (Post 2290697)
I have been watching the confirmed cases for the last two days with near real-time data and it is incredible: Two days ago on 3/18 there were 7,783 confirmed cases in the US. Today, (3/20) two days later we are about to see 20,000 confirmed cases before midnight tonight.

51 people in the US died in the last 24 hours. But its the rate of change that is alarming.

At yesterdays White House briefing it was said there was a new testing method which increased the number of tests that can be run by a huge margin and to expect a spike in the number of confirmed cases over the next few days as they clear the backlog of untested samples.

debit 03-20-2020 09:39 PM

X2 - well, not me but the Canadians. We live very near the Canadian border on the US side. We were on I-5 this afternoon for about 45 minutes near Bellingham WA. We must of counted a dozen Canadian RV heading to the border. And were they fast - many passed my car and I was driving the speed limit at 70. We saw one "5er" doing 80 plus. The reader board still said that the wait at the border was less than 5 minutes. On our return going south, we saw another dozen RVs heading north.

Ram 2500 / FR Surveyor 251rks...still in my RV garage

akf15e 03-20-2020 10:16 PM

SailorSam - excellent points and my thoughts exactly. We are heading out Monday for a week in the mountains (or less if things get really bad here) to just relax, ride the motorcycle, and try not to think too much about this horrible situation.

rockfordroo 03-20-2020 10:43 PM

Illinois is going into "lockdown" on Saturday at 5pm. More states will follow.

I'd say stay at home.

Justice12t 03-21-2020 05:48 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. We talked more and Ive canceled the trip. Well try to do a weekend at a local park IF the open.

Mike223 03-21-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justice12t (Post 2290399)
In WNY with reservations in Delaware Seashore SP March 28th-31st.

DW just wants to camp somewhere to just get away from all of this for just a few days. Everything in NY is still closed for a few more weeks. We are not able to shift her time off.

We are currently dealing with postponing our wedding that was only a handful of weeks away. Which is driving some of the above sentence...lol

Assuming things stay open, should we take the trip?? Not trying to start something. I'm just 50\50 as to what we should do. Figured I'd ask others.

Thanks.

We are camping now at Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware not far from where you are talking about. The campground about 3/4 th. full. People are keeping their distance and enjoyed the 85 degree weather yesterday. I say go for it.
Mike:trink39:

dblr 03-21-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike223 (Post 2290807)
We are camping now at Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware not far from where you are talking about. The campground about 3/4 th. full. People are keeping their distance and enjoyed the 85 degree weather yesterday. I say go for it.
Mike:trink39:

Lums Pond campground was also full, we sometimes drive over there just to walk and might even venture down to walk the trail along the C&D Canal. :signhavefun:

retireearly 03-21-2020 09:02 AM

The few countries that have been able to contain this have had to go on full lock down for a significant period of time to do it.. something to think about.

waybeck2018 03-21-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaDog (Post 2290411)
My take is stay put camp in the driveway and just kick back and enjoy each other. Why take the risk at this stage for you or others.

Totally agree with SeaDog. We had to explain to our grandson why we had to cancel our Spring Break trip.