Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Cross country w/travel trailer (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/cross-country-w-travel-trailer-203779.html)

orangeminnie 04-02-2020 07:20 PM

If you have a S&B, please stay home for now. We're all in this together.

dduncan 04-02-2020 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDguy (Post 2298995)
Then donít be that person. Your thinking is fundamentally flawed. Travel in an RV can be better than being at home. Especially if home is an apartment and especially if it has an elevator.

Thankfully you donít get to make such decisions for others in the USA.

So you think shelter in place is more dangerous than traveling? Not to mention against the law.

Gracie26 04-02-2020 08:47 PM

Stay home you are killing us.

Thomas ho 04-02-2020 09:14 PM

cross country

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenc (Post 2293794)
Evening all,

I will be be driving cross country soon & towing the Geo Pro 19FBS. I would appreciate any insight in terms of using the RV as my overnight for likely 4-5 days. Given the current state of affairs, the more self-contained the better.

Unsure about navigating fresh, grey & black tanks. Weight is not an issue in terms of towing (F150), but I have never used the RV in this fashion (vs. show up @ site, use, dump upon leaving). I will be solo, so usage minimal. Wondering about fresh water fill level. I am able to dump at final destination at a later date.

Hoping to hit the Walmarts, Cabelas, Cracker Barrels of the world for overnight parking.

Thinking about using ice in the fridge vs bringing a cooler? Travel food? Will likely only have use of LP stovetop, so soups etc seem in order with minimal cleanup.

Hoping weather is cooperative to allow solar to maintain as I will likely need furnace overnight.

Don't mean to be vague, but appreciate any pro tips...

Thanks & stay safe all

we use solar yard lights . path areas for light . inside by noght.

HangDiver 04-02-2020 09:41 PM

Gracie26,

I'm very sorry to read about the difficulties that you and particularly your husband are facing. I have never seen anything like this in my 64 years on the planet and no doubt, many are fearful of what may be coming. You have my sincere empathy for your situation.

With regards to this thread, the OP clearly stated (Post #30) that his travel across the country is due to his employment and has nothing to do with fun or a vacation. Given the number of Americans that are losing their jobs today and in the weeks to come, we can expect many more individuals to relocate in order to support their families, much the way that you would do whatever is necessary to support your family.

These are very difficult times indeed..

My warmest regards,
hangdiver

flyflotrtim 04-02-2020 09:53 PM

Use the fridge, easy peasy. Take sponge baths and the water storage fresh and gray will easily last your trip. My Wife and I can go two weeks boondocking if we are careful. Cook whatever you want, you'll have plenty of time if driving less than 8 hours a day. As mentioned above, freeze meals and reheat each day if you don't want to bother with full cooking. Take a supply of tv dinners and associated if you don't want to prep in advance, a loaf of bread, cheese, and deli meats takes care of lunches. Open cans of chile etc . Heat prepped meals in boiler bags if you want to avoid dishes.

Unless you use the propane heater extensively you will most likely recharge your batteries each day as you travel.

Enjoy the trip

Also as mentioned above a lot of truck stops have dump stations (and water if you want to trust it)

DouglasReid 04-03-2020 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan (Post 2298977)
So I hate to be that person but most States have a shelter in place order till April 30. By you traveling around you are taking a chance of getting the virus and spreading it. I would recommend you postpone any travel until the travel order is lifted. Not only would you be putting your life in danger but other people as well. I couldn’t live with myself if I new I was responsible for someone’s death.

I see his camper as his own little Self Contained Isolation Unit. He would not be in contact with any other persons unless they got into his truck with him or into his camper.

Where is the problem in this?..........Responsible for someone else's death? I don't get it! :confused:

Seems like a hysterical irrational fear to me.

We just came back from a long weekend (Thurs-Mon) at Buccaneer State Park in Mississippi. Our closest neighbor ws about 50' away, we interfaced with them by talking from a distance. We were not in contact with anyone else even that close.

We were either in our camper, just outside enjoying some fresh air and watching the critters, or in our truck going to and fro. Perfectly Isolated just as if we stayed home.

IDguy 04-03-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasReid (Post 2299176)
I see his camper as his own little Self Contained Isolation Unit. He would not be in contact with any other persons unless they got into his truck with him or into his camper.

Where is the problem in this?..........Responsible for someone else's death? I don't get it! :confused:

Seems like a hysterical irrational fear to me.

We just came back from a long weekend (Thurs-Mon) at Buccaneer State Park in Mississippi. Our closest neighbor ws about 50' away, we interfaced with them by talking from a distance. We were not in contact with anyone else even that close.

We were either in our camper, just outside enjoying some fresh air and watching the critters, or in our truck going to and fro. Perfectly Isolated just as if we stayed home.

And that is likely far better than staying at home. We certainly shop less and interface with fewer people when in our RV. And I don’t come into contact with anyone when hiking or fishing many miles from the nearest dwelling or public place with people concentrations.

Some people are not capable of thinking logically. There is a reason most of the shelter in place orders do not have enforcement provisions. But all some can do is quote their interpretation of the rule and criticize others.

Gracie26 04-03-2020 10:30 AM

I was going to avoid responding to the amazing lack of knowledge and compassion shown by some...NOT ALL...comments on this thread. But, I am grateful for the supportive and understanding remarks I have received both on the thread and from private messages and ”thanks for posting”notices. I now know the immunocompromised population is massive and beyond anything I ever imagined. Many seem well enough, to the rest of us, but are actually carrying heavy burdens that I can’t comprehend...cancer treatments, infusions of drugs needed to intentionally suppress the immune system because of diseases that are trying to kill the host, and many, many others.

So, here is my last post on this thread. I am doing this with the desperate hope that it will make just a tiny difference.

I haven’t heard of any employer that would require someone to travel now. Feel free to tell us who that is so we can deluge them with our horror. Share with us what you do that requires you to move around in a motorhome so we can understand how essential you are to the world today. I really want to understand why it is necessary for ANYONE to travel now. Please help me understand that so I can be more sympathetic.

I am don’t feel able to communicate gently now because I am horrified that people either don’t want to, or just don’t get it. I am screaming and making noise so it gets the attention necessary to our very survival.

When we travel, we are NOT self contained. I am just so shocked that some people honestly don’t get that. When you travel, you are coming into contact with stores, gas stations, rest stops, campsites, and more. You are not sitting in one place, isolated from the world.

You are consuming food that the locals, who don’t have the luxury of traveling, need to survive. Just because stores in your town have product doesn’t mean every town does. Where I live sometimes there is meat and poultry on the shelf, sometimes absolutely nothing. We haven’t had any bread, soap, cleaning supplies and more, for weeks in our local stores. The situation in your world is different from everyone else’s. I don’t have all the information about your world, so I just have to assume it is different from mine.

We are having trouble getting store workers to keep working, and I don’t blame them. Don’t you care that you can spread the virus to them and then end up killing their babies and grandmas? It’s bad enough that it may happen by locals visiting the market, but now you come from lots of other towns and are more likely to pick it up and spread it around without even being aware of it.

You are asking local first responders to be available to help you if you get sick or injured. Our fire department heros are regularly making deliveries to folks who can’t get to the store. The vulnerable , in our communities need them. The rest of us need them if there is a regular type of emergency. You don’t need them if you stay in place...I hope. Do you think they don’t have families and loved ones you can affect if they catch the virus from you? Do you think we can easily find and train replacements if they have to quarantine because you brought the virus to our town? Do you think you should be taking away ventilators, beds, etc. from the locals when you get sick in their towns? Or, what if you have a flat? Someone comes to help. You give them the virus, they go on to the next flat, those people get the virus. They move on to the next town and get gas. More virus spread. No one knows for sure all the ways that it can spread. That is one reason why the CDC keeps changing its guidelines. Make face masks, friends because soon you will be seeing them recommended and used, everywhere!

PROVE YOU DONT HAVE THE VIRUS. Not possible yet. Even then, set an example and stay in place. This isn’t going away until there is a vaccine that everyone must take. The only way to contain it is by staying in place. But that still won’t eliminate it...just contain it.

Asymptomatic carriers will continue to infect others for a long time to come. You may be one and you will infect others. You are never self contained in a motorhome. You come into contact...not by touching... but by shedding virus cells wherever you go. Or, as I said, you can get sick yourself and use resources locals need to live.

The reason so many people are dead and dying, or developing complications they will live with for the rest of their lives, is because they came into contact with someone who was infected. Someone who was moving about.

Watch for the surge from mid April to May in the states that put orders in early. Watch for the surge in places like Florida and Georgia and others that were too selfish to put in stay in place orders until only days ago. Those surges will come much later. Because of their behavior and that of travelers, the rest of us will have to shelter longer. More people will die than if their residents stopped moving around.

Start watching the mainstream news. NOT CNN, NOT FOX. NOT ROUND TABLE DISCUSSIONS. That is not news, that is opinion and commentary. Watch Asia. There is now a massive resurgence of the virus in places where they loosened controls. Why? Because people are traveling about and infecting others unknowingly. Please, educate yourself. If you don’t understand, find out. Look at the projections. Go on line and search John Hopkins and others. They will show you charts that have the facts...and only show the confirmed cases...you aren’t in the chart yet, but you can kill someone else by moving around.

This is the biggest thing that you will ever experience, until the next virus comes along...and it will. Your actions matter. When people say we are in this together, they mean it as a statement of solidarity. But, we are in this together because, like it or not, using a motorhome or not, we are connected. Our actions directly impact, and kill others.

This isn’t meant for just the first person who posted here. I have seen posts from many other RVers who are traveling, or want to. We want to as well. We plan to do just that this spring...in our driveway. Thank you to the full timers who have no home base. The ones who have found a place to stay put for the duration! If you can afford it, make a contribution to wherever there is a need among the locals.

Folks, this is going to upset your lives well beyond the next few months. The virus is going to keep killing everywhere people move around until there is a vaccine and people actually get it. Don’t think things will return to normal. We are deadly to each other until there is a cure or research can demonstrate you are immune. If you understand that, you can plan. You can adapt. You have been doing that all your life and you are very, very good at it.

You will mourn your old ways for awhile. You have to, it allows you to move on. Please don’t deny what is in front of you. Please, realize that what you do affects the rest of us. There is no way around that any more. Do I sound pessimistic? Good. The only way you can plan is if you face the reality of our situation.

I am sorry I am not eloquent. I am sorry if you don’t want to hear this. Denial isn’t going to get us out of this fix.

Please, learn why it is important to stay put. Do it and be a hero.

dduncan 04-03-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDguy (Post 2299225)
And that is likely far better than staying at home. We certainly shop less and interface with fewer people when in our RV. And I donít come into contact with anyone when hiking or fishing many miles from the nearest dwelling or public place with people concentrations.

Some people are not capable of thinking logically. There is a reason most of the shelter in place orders do not have enforcement provisions. But all some can do is quote their interpretation of the rule and criticize others.

So according to OP he is traveling 4 to 5 days. Not going to some lake a couple hours away from home. He is asking about ways to keep from coming in contact with people. And if he has a job he has to be at or something that he has to go I understand what heís doing. But things happen. Breakdowns. Fuel. Food. Days without personal cleaning. Stopping for water. The fact he is going to travel that many days without coming in contact with people is highly unlikely. Again if he has to go that is one thing. But I think he will be putting peopleís health at risk. If he can put this trip off I would rethink the trip.

Treybecky 04-03-2020 12:05 PM

1st trip

Iím not sure if youve considerd this but, make sure that your freshwater tank can support the weight of itself. Partially full tank sloshing around can potentially be more problem then full or empty. If you could search some of the threads on the website, youíll find lots of advice on how to reinforce your freshwater tank. Not to be a killjoy but, it may be worth adding some supports before Something starts bending or breaking. Also it would be very wise to go to a cat scale fully loaded, and research if everything is balanced right, ... and definitely get a weight distribution hitch. Itís a lot to do in a few days but most people take months to tuneup and find all the bugs and learn all the tricks

IDguy 04-03-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treybecky (Post 2299351)
I’m not sure if youve considerd this but, make sure that your freshwater tank can support the weight of itself. Partially full tank sloshing around can potentially be more problem then full or empty. If you could search some of the threads on the website, you’ll find lots of advice on how to reinforce your freshwater tank. Not to be a killjoy but, it may be worth adding some supports before Something starts bending or breaking. Also it would be very wise to go to a cat scale fully loaded, and research if everything is balanced right, ... and definitely get a weight distribution hitch. It’s a lot to do in a few days but most people take months to tuneup and find all the bugs and learn all the tricks

I’ve owned dozens of RVs over 50 years and driven them over hundreds of thousands of miles with all levels of fill (usually leave home full but sloshable) and never had an issue.

I do agree with weight distribution hitch. Can get online for about $200.

Interesting long post by another very disturbed individual above. I won’t go into all the wrong assertions: they are the result of the person’s panic. Fortunately s/he doesn’t get to make the rules.

DouglasReid 04-03-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracie26 (Post 2299279)
I was going to avoid responding to the amazing lack of knowledge and compassion shown by some...NOT ALL...comments on this thread. But, I am grateful for the supportive and understanding remarks I have received both on the thread and from private messages and ”thanks for posting”notices. I now know the immunocompromised population is massive and beyond anything I ever imagined. Many seem well enough, to the rest of us, but are actually carrying heavy burdens that I can’t comprehend...cancer treatments, infusions of drugs needed to intentionally suppress the immune system because of diseases that are trying to kill the host, and many, many others.

So, here is my last post on this thread. I am doing this with the desperate hope that it will make just a tiny difference.

I haven’t heard of any employer that would require someone to travel now. Feel free to tell us who that is so we can deluge them with our horror. Share with us what you do that requires you to move around in a motorhome so we can understand how essential you are to the world today. I really want to understand why it is necessary for ANYONE to travel now. Please help me understand that so I can be more sympathetic.

I am don’t feel able to communicate gently now because I am horrified that people either don’t want to, or just don’t get it. I am screaming and making noise so it gets the attention necessary to our very survival.

When we travel, we are NOT self contained. I am just so shocked that some people honestly don’t get that. When you travel, you are coming into contact with stores, gas stations, rest stops, campsites, and more. You are not sitting in one place, isolated from the world.

You are consuming food that the locals, who don’t have the luxury of traveling, need to survive. Just because stores in your town have product doesn’t mean every town does. Where I live sometimes there is meat and poultry on the shelf, sometimes absolutely nothing. We haven’t had any bread, soap, cleaning supplies and more, for weeks in our local stores. The situation in your world is different from everyone else’s. I don’t have all the information about your world, so I just have to assume it is different from mine.

We are having trouble getting store workers to keep working, and I don’t blame them. Don’t you care that you can spread the virus to them and then end up killing their babies and grandmas? It’s bad enough that it may happen by locals visiting the market, but now you come from lots of other towns and are more likely to pick it up and spread it around without even being aware of it.

You are asking local first responders to be available to help you if you get sick or injured. Our fire department heros are regularly making deliveries to folks who can’t get to the store. The vulnerable , in our communities need them. The rest of us need them if there is a regular type of emergency. You don’t need them if you stay in place...I hope. Do you think they don’t have families and loved ones you can affect if they catch the virus from you? Do you think we can easily find and train replacements if they have to quarantine because you brought the virus to our town? Do you think you should be taking away ventilators, beds, etc. from the locals when you get sick in their towns? Or, what if you have a flat? Someone comes to help. You give them the virus, they go on to the next flat, those people get the virus. They move on to the next town and get gas. More virus spread. No one knows for sure all the ways that it can spread. That is one reason why the CDC keeps changing its guidelines. Make face masks, friends because soon you will be seeing them recommended and used, everywhere!

PROVE YOU DONT HAVE THE VIRUS. Not possible yet. Even then, set an example and stay in place. This isn’t going away until there is a vaccine that everyone must take. The only way to contain it is by staying in place. But that still won’t eliminate it...just contain it.

Asymptomatic carriers will continue to infect others for a long time to come. You may be one and you will infect others. You are never self contained in a motorhome. You come into contact...not by touching... but by shedding virus cells wherever you go. Or, as I said, you can get sick yourself and use resources locals need to live.

The reason so many people are dead and dying, or developing complications they will live with for the rest of their lives, is because they came into contact with someone who was infected. Someone who was moving about.

Watch for the surge from mid April to May in the states that put orders in early. Watch for the surge in places like Florida and Georgia and others that were too selfish to put in stay in place orders until only days ago. Those surges will come much later. Because of their behavior and that of travelers, the rest of us will have to shelter longer. More people will die than if their residents stopped moving around.

Start watching the mainstream news. NOT CNN, NOT FOX. NOT ROUND TABLE DISCUSSIONS. That is not news, that is opinion and commentary. Watch Asia. There is now a massive resurgence of the virus in places where they loosened controls. Why? Because people are traveling about and infecting others unknowingly. Please, educate yourself. If you don’t understand, find out. Look at the projections. Go on line and search John Hopkins and others. They will show you charts that have the facts...and only show the confirmed cases...you aren’t in the chart yet, but you can kill someone else by moving around.

This is the biggest thing that you will ever experience, until the next virus comes along...and it will. Your actions matter. When people say we are in this together, they mean it as a statement of solidarity. But, we are in this together because, like it or not, using a motorhome or not, we are connected. Our actions directly impact, and kill others.

This isn’t meant for just the first person who posted here. I have seen posts from many other RVers who are traveling, or want to. We want to as well. We plan to do just that this spring...in our driveway. Thank you to the full timers who have no home base. The ones who have found a place to stay put for the duration! If you can afford it, make a contribution to wherever there is a need among the locals.

Folks, this is going to upset your lives well beyond the next few months. The virus is going to keep killing everywhere people move around until there is a vaccine and people actually get it. Don’t think things will return to normal. We are deadly to each other until there is a cure or research can demonstrate you are immune. If you understand that, you can plan. You can adapt. You have been doing that all your life and you are very, very good at it.

You will mourn your old ways for awhile. You have to, it allows you to move on. Please don’t deny what is in front of you. Please, realize that what you do affects the rest of us. There is no way around that any more. Do I sound pessimistic? Good. The only way you can plan is if you face the reality of our situation.

I am sorry I am not eloquent. I am sorry if you don’t want to hear this. Denial isn’t going to get us out of this fix.

Please, learn why it is important to stay put. Do it and be a hero.

WHEW...........I will not even take the time to respond to all of that except to say, the OP was planning on taking 4-5 days crossing the US. I could do that and interface with nothing and nobody but a fuel pump once a day, never using any of your precious commodities.

Why would any employer require their employees to travel? you ask.

I work in the oil industry. Because of mean other men and women like me, who work schedules like 14/14, (14 days on and 14 days off} we live offshore dependent on every thing we need to live and work to be brought by either helicopter or boat.

Many of us live outside the state where we catch our transportation to work. Our work schedule allows us to live anywhere we are willing to commute from. Nobody ever anticipated this Gracie, not even you!

If we stop working, your house gets cold, your showers are cold, your vehicles no longer go and you may not even have electricity.

I think you WANT us traveling Gracie, I KNOW the country NEEDS US working.............without us, you will starve to death in short order unless you grow your own food a burn wood for heat.

I DO NOT mean to be ugly to you at all, but there is MUCH MORE to what makes this and every country on earth work of which you haven't a clue...........your post proves it.

PS, I haven't even mentioned all the health care workers who travel daily to and from work............want the to stay home too?

BandJCarm 04-03-2020 03:38 PM

It appears we've reached the point where Safety trumps Freedom.

Thank you Douglas. I know several like you. Please keep on keeping on. We need you. Praying that Russia and Saudia Arabia wake up and don't destroy the energy economy in this country, before the virus does.

One truth.......there are indeed a lot of immuno-compromised folks in America. We're two of them. But I'd prefer to make my own decisions about my health and my activities than to have the government do so. I know more about how to spend my money than they do, and I know more about how to stay alive and also not be any burden to others, than they do.

Bad stuff. But hoping the cure isn't worse than the disease.

ForestWalker 04-03-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandJCarm (Post 2299441)
...But hoping the cure isn't worse than the disease.

Ugh! I avoid cliches like the plague.
:rolleyes:

itat 04-03-2020 07:45 PM

We all know there are some folks who perform jobs that are essential to society and some of those jobs involve travel. To those performing those essential jobs, you have my thanks. What is inexcusable right now is travel for pleasure or non-essential reasons.

Let’s all not forget that this virus is here on North American soil because people travelled from somewhere else and spread the virus.

Travel, any travel, presents a risk of spreading this virus from one community to another. Travelling in an RV is probably less of a risk for transporting the virus but still more than not travelling and sheltering in your home.

As I’ve said on other threads, I really feel for full timers who are trying to find a place to hunker down and stay put for a while.

rsdata 04-03-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Travel, any travel, presents a risk of spreading this virus from one community to another. Travelling in an RV is probably less of a risk for transporting the virus but still more than not travelling and sheltering in your home.
And now that we are all well educated ( this community is probably better educated than most) about virus transmission routes, everyone can be a better citizen. This does not mean we cannot travel, or camp where there are no facilities open to help spread the virus. If YOU have a problem with traveling because of your particular health problem then I suggest that you stay home and use the numerous services available to you to get goods and services delivered to you via telecommunications or a delivery service like UPS. I wish you well.

Maxtime 04-05-2020 04:22 PM

Your fridge should work off your propane . We fill a collapsible water carrier and take that. We also place a portable toilet in the shower. They can be emptied into a regular toilet or dump station. Works well for us.

Vbf806 04-06-2020 11:22 AM

No problems

I have a e pro 19bh very similar to yours. Mine has a 100 watt factory solar panel on the roof. That was sufficient enough to keep my wife and two grandson's and myself to have power for heater, lights, tv, and charge our phones for the 8 days we went boondocking. Mind you , we did have excellent weather, sunny all day, and was not parked under trees. I do have a 180 watt portables zamp solar panel in case but did not need to use it. But most important I have two deep cycle six volt batteries, which helps a lot. As far as the fridge,if you run it in propane you will be better off then lugging a cooler and looking for ice. The fridge runs on a pilot light, you will hardly use much gas. We went six days before running out of water. We could of went all eight days without needing to dump, but since we had to go to the dump site anyways to fill with water, we dumped. After that trip I purchased two six gallon water storage containers so that I would fill up when I fill the trailer and put them in the back of my pickup. Having sixty gallons of combined black and gray holding, and thirty-seven fresh water does not add up. I love my e pro it's perfect for boondock camping. That is all we do. My wife and I had the same plan on taking two weeks and see the country, but I think we will stay home and stay safe. As far as filling your water tank and traveling, I would check with Forrest River, I would think it is not recamended. Have a good trip and stay safe.

TJLogan 04-10-2020 04:07 AM

One single raindrop never thinks it caused the flood.
So that one raindrop decides to take a cross country trip.
It's not that hard to stay home and postpone everything you can. I'm actually enjoying it [emoji138]