Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Airlift Loadlifter 5000 Questions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/airlift-loadlifter-5000-questions-205180.html)

Dreedo 04-23-2020 01:21 PM

Airlift Loadlifter 5000 Questions

Hello All,

I just had the Loadlifter 5000 airbags installed on my 2019 RAM 1500, to level out the truck when pulling our 2020 2512s Mini Lite. ( Trailer seemed to drop the rear of the truck about 2")

Unfortunately, there are NO INSTRUCTIONS on use of the airbags.....so:

1. Do I inflate the bags before or after hooking up my TT?

2. Do I need to reconfigure my E2 sway/distribution hitch once truck is level from inflation of airbags? If so, are there instructions for this? The dealer set it up originally when I purchased the trailer.

Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide.

GoneSouth10 04-23-2020 01:42 PM

Jeez - somebody edit the title of the post!! I thought you had "5000 questions" about the "Airlift Loadlifter"!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Talk about the coronavirus giving you too much time on your hands!! :D:D
:signhavefun:

Dreedo 04-23-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 (Post 2311637)
Jeez - somebody edit the title of the post!! I thought you had "5000 questions" about the "Airlift Loadlifter"!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Talk about the coronavirus giving you too much time on your hands!! :D:D
:signhavefun:

LOL The model name is Loadlifter 5000!

GoneSouth10 04-23-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreedo (Post 2311655)
LOL The model name is Loadlifter 5000!

;):trink39:

AlaskaErik 04-24-2020 12:36 AM

You inflate before you hook up the WDH. Unless you have the 5000 Ultimate with the internal jounce bumper you need to always keep at least 5 psi in the bags at all times. For what you're towing, the Air Lift 2000 would have been more than adequate.

FordHauler 04-24-2020 06:24 AM

And now I can carry 5000 pounds more than my truck is rated for! High fives for me!
Travel safe

Dreedo 04-24-2020 07:35 AM

I detect your sarcasm. Truck is rated for 12,500... trailer is 5,200 dry. I did not install the loadlifter air bags to carry more weight... just wanted to level out the truck so the headlights don't blind oncoming traffic :rolleyes:

Capt. Mike 04-24-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreedo (Post 2312030)
I detect your sarcasm. Truck is rated for 12,500... trailer is 5,200 dry. I did not install the loadlifter air bags to carry more weight... just wanted to level out the truck so the headlights don't blind oncoming traffic :rolleyes:

I always inflate my Firestone airbags after hooking up, but before I move the truck. That way, as I inflate to 50# I can actually see my truck rise a little bit.

And I'm towing a fifth wheel, so adjusting the WDH for the inflated state is not something I have to worry about. However, I would think that your dealer set your hitch up for level towing. So, if the airbags bring your truck/trailer combo back to "level", no adjustment to the WDH would be needed.

FordHauler 04-24-2020 01:19 PM

Sorry Dreedo that was not aimed at you. Just an off the wall comment, thinking out loud. I guess I got out of bed on the smart ***** side today. Too much energy that needs to be worked off and no place to GO do it. We will get thru this shutdown and I am ready to hook up and GO. ASAP. Anywhere!
I have those same airbags on my F-150 that I used to pull my TT with. I too hooked up and then aired up. Donít know if I was right or wrong.
Travel safe

Dreedo 04-24-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordHauler (Post 2312196)
Sorry Dreedo that was not aimed at you. Just an off the wall comment, thinking out loud. I guess I got out of bed on the smart ***** side today. Too much energy that needs to be worked off and no place to GO do it. We will get thru this shutdown and I am ready to hook up and GO. ASAP. Anywhere!
I have those same airbags on my F-150 that I used to pull my TT with. I too hooked up and then aired up. Donít know if I was right or wrong.
Travel safe

All Good, we are all experiencing stress these days! I too am anxious to actually be able to use my TT that I've only used once since purchase!
Appreciate the info on the Airlift! Thx

DouglasReid 04-24-2020 02:20 PM

We have a 5er not a TT so no WD hitch, but.........the last thing I do when hitching is air up the airbags.

Like someone said, I do it to level the truck so it sits when loaded the same as it does empty. Don't want my headlights blinding oncoming traffic.

I just air them up til the squat is gone.

It also has the wonderful effect of improving the ride. :trink39:

FordHauler 04-24-2020 08:57 PM

I forget all of those reasons I installed the bags on my F-150 now that I have the new dually. I remember thinking about putting them on my 2001 F-350 because this 5er did make that old truck squat. I donít like to be blinded by those tail-draggers either, however I seem to think that everyone has on their hi-beams with the new technology type headlights.
Thanks to AlaskaEric I plan to check the air pressure in those bags on the F-150 tomorrow. Minimum 5 pounds you say?
Travel safe

cmysstailights 04-25-2020 06:00 AM

I have a 2500 tow a 11k tt with a wdh antisway. My hitch setup to get me where i should be and the airlift bags are aired up to 35# just to assist the suspension. I do not use them to level me off cause then that would defeat the purpose of my wdh.

DouglasReid 04-25-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmysstailights (Post 2312560)
I do not use them to level me off cause then that would defeat the purpose of my wdh.

Not true. The WDH is dong just what its name says it is,it is distributing some of the weight fro the rear axle to the front.

It can and most often does leave some squat on the rear axle, the air bags can remedy that issue.

Which is one of the reasons I air mine after hitching.

Not to mention that if I aired them up first Id just have to elevate the nose of the camper that much higher to get connected. :eek:

This way there is no guesswork, I simply air them til level, one and done.

Comanchecreek 04-26-2020 10:20 AM

I have the Airlift system on my 2500 Chevy. I tow a Fifth wheel so can't answer your hitch question, but I air my bags up for level, and ride comfort. I set my bags up where one fitting feeds air to both bags. Works better than individual air fittings for each bag. Always increase or decreases height evenly. I also wait to air up until the trailer is hitched. 60 psi unloaded raises the rear of the truck to the moon making it hard to hitch as the trailer has to be so high. You do need to be careful that you don't crush the bags all the way down, as you will pinch the bag and cause a leak if they don't have the newer internal stop to prevent that. My truck doesn't deflect that far, so not a worry for me. I also installed a ball valve to dump the air, as is much quicker when we unhitch. The air lines are aircraft style, and all the fittings are readily available at NAPA or other auto parts outlets. I have used this system on my truck for over 10 years and still love it.

Dreedo 04-26-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comanchecreek (Post 2313200)
I have the Airlift system on my 2500 Chevy. I tow a Fifth wheel so can't answer your hitch question, but I air my bags up for level, and ride comfort. I set my bags up where one fitting feeds air to both bags. Works better than individual air fittings for each bag. Always increase or decreases height evenly. I also wait to air up until the trailer is hitched. 60 psi unloaded raises the rear of the truck to the moon making it hard to hitch as the trailer has to be so high. You do need to be careful that you don't crush the bags all the way down, as you will pinch the bag and cause a leak if they don't have the newer internal stop to prevent that. My truck doesn't deflect that far, so not a worry for me. I also installed a ball valve to dump the air, as is much quicker when we unhitch. The air lines are aircraft style, and all the fittings are readily available at NAPA or other auto parts outlets. I have used this system on my truck for over 10 years and still love it.

Thanks for the info! Great ideas on the ball valve. I might have to reconfigure so that one valve fills both at the same time as I have 2 different valves to fill. Should have thought of that before!

Comanchecreek 04-26-2020 01:58 PM

These are the style of the fittings. You just need to match them with the hose size. I picked up all of my parts at NAPA, but you can find them most anywhere.
https://www.amazon.com/Tailonz-Pneum...rd_i=580146011

SmittyCorp 04-26-2020 06:49 PM

One thing to watch for when plumbing a single inlet.... there can be cross talk between the bags when cornering. The bag on the outside will try to compress, and will pump some of its air to the inside bag, making the inside want to raise. It might not be noticeable on a truck with a stiff ride like a dually, but with high-ish bag pressure on a softer truck likean F150, you'll notice it. Particularly when empty.

Easiest solution is the dual inlets. I never do tings the easy way apparently...I tried teeing them into a single fill valve and learned about the cross talk. I then used a ball valve in one of the lines to separate my bags, and kept them teed into one fill valve. I open the valve and fill both bags at the same time, then close the ball valve on the one line, and the bags are seperated.

AlaskaErik 04-26-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyCorp (Post 2313508)
One thing to watch for when plumbing a single inlet.... there can be cross talk between the bags when cornering. The bag on the outside will try to compress, and will pump some of its air to the inside bag, making the inside want to raise. It might not be noticeable on a truck with a stiff ride like a dually, but with high-ish bag pressure on a softer truck likean F150, you'll notice it. Particularly when empty.

Easiest solution is the dual inlets. I never do tings the easy way apparently...I tried teeing them into a single fill valve and learned about the cross talk. I then used a ball valve in one of the lines to separate my bags, and kept them teed into one fill valve. I open the valve and fill both bags at the same time, then close the ball valve on the one line, and the bags are seperated.

I've got a single point inflation valve on my 2016 Silverado 1500 with Air Lift 2000 bags and I've never noticed anything like that. With separate inflation valves the risk is one bag going flat. I'd rather have both bags go flat if a leak develops. Most people aren't going to put in an isolation valve. And if someone does, they're right back to a leak leaving them with an imbalance.

Scoob 04-26-2020 11:39 PM

I was told by the shop i bought my air bags from to NOT INSTALL both valves unless i was going to put in a truck bed camper. But if pulling a fifth or tt to only install one valve.