Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Flagstaff (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   New E-Pro 20BHS (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/new-e-pro-20bhs-214380.html)

ChrisSandstorm 08-18-2020 12:49 AM

New E-Pro 20BHS

Hey all, we took delivery of our first hard side travel trailer last Monday in Salt Lake from Access RV and headed to Livingston, MT for 4 nights and on the way stayed a night in Idaho Falls.

The dealer was fantastic and really nice folks. Nathan runs the service department and John Humphrey's is the finance guy. Really good people. Too bad for us we live in Denver because I would love for them to be our local dealer. We looked local but nothing was in our state and we were hoping to use it this month.

Our 2021 E-Pro worked great throughout the trip. Pulling with my 2016 Tacoma, was ok... The trailer is 3500 dry and I know that is before propane and batteries. We also have a 2001 Landcruiser to pull it and will try that next time.

Our two kids fit in the bunks pretty well, even though my son 13 is pretty big at 5'8" already.

We did have a blackout shade fall down and I reinstalled it. I am handy with most stuff, so going to fix what I can. The trailer seems very well made, so I feel like it has a lot of value.

I also picked up a cover when we got home fits great, it's the 18-20' size cover. Since there are a lot of us new E20BHS folks out there, I will post a pic of the cover box also.

We plan to use our TT for mtn camping, annual Moab trips and following my son when playing hockey out of state.

Chris

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-Kjt4Xmd-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-pSQ72BP-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-FvjV6wm-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-ccGPMC7-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-HNvk9wb-L.jpg

Wiscampsin 08-18-2020 08:31 AM

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy making memories in your new E-Pro 20BHS.

ChrisSandstorm 08-18-2020 10:57 AM

Thanks WIScampsin!

One thing I forgot to mention was our campsite in Livingston. Our friends were at the KOA, it was pretty rowdy but looked like fun and next to Yelllowstone River. Any site along the river is a great spot.

We stayed at Osens RV. Very clean and quiet, not really for kids, great dog park and close to town.

Mikec78 09-09-2020 10:45 PM

Hey Chris - great post!!
We are in the processes of pulling the trigger on the E-Pro 20BHS.
I had a few questions if you don’t mind:
1) how was towing it with the tacoma? (I assume you have the tow package on it so you should be able to tow 6500lbs or do you not have the tow package) - was it struggling to tow it?
2) what weight distribution hitch / sway bar do you have and how do you like it?
3) was curios on the purchase price - can you share here or in a private message?
4) any gotchas or things you learned that you can share after the first trip?

Thanks so very much for the help!!
-Mike

ChrisSandstorm 09-10-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikec78 (Post 2410324)
Hey Chris - great post!!
We are in the processes of pulling the trigger on the E-Pro 20BHS.
I had a few questions if you don’t mind:
1) how was towing it with the tacoma? (I assume you have the tow package on it so you should be able to tow 6500lbs or do you not have the tow package) - was it struggling to tow it?
2) what weight distribution hitch / sway bar do you have and how do you like it?
3) was curios on the purchase price - can you share here or in a private message?
4) any gotchas or things you learned that you can share after the first trip?

Thanks so very much for the help!!
-Mike

Hi Mike! I bet you are going to love your new trailer, we love ours.

1) Pulling with the Tacoma..Well my Tacoma reluctantly pulled the trailer. I did have the tow package on it. We had a pop-up trailer before and the Taco could pull that also, but you really knew it was there. We also have a 2001 LandCruiser and you had to remind yourself you were pulling the pop-up, hardly noticed it was back there. The E20BHS is soo much more trailer than our pop-up.. I also burned up the wheel bearings on the Tacoma pulling the E20BHS home from Bozeman but that is on me for not setting the brake controller to a higher level and I think over using the trucks breaks, which possibly overheated and damaged the wheel bearings. My Taco was lifted with bigger tires, sliders, bumper and topper, so was a bit heavier than a stock set up. My Taco would go into overdrive on the flat highways in Denver. So a couple Saturdays ago, I traded it in for a new 2020 Ford F150 XLT 2.7L. It can tow 7600 lbs. I love this truck! Super quiet inside and tons of more room than the Taco. I loved the Taco look but I hated the engine/tranny, hands free speaker when talking on the phone was awful, no car play, squeaky leaf springs. I fit perfect in it but my family did not. My son is huge and had no leg room, no place for the dog but in the truck bed.. With all that said, You can make it happen pulling a E20BHS with a Tacoma but my experience is that you will want a larger tow vehicle eventually. For me the Taco was more stressful with engine going into overdrive as a daily driver and engine noise.. The Ford is a dream on the highway, quiet cabin and powerful. I am really drawn to how the vehicle looks (character flaw) so I had to have the Leadfoot gray color and they only had those is the 2.7L F150 XLT. Maybe I would have been wiser to get a 3.5L with 3.73 gears but I was also hunting a price point on the truck and the 2.7L really met my price point, look and my trailer is still only slightly over half of the potential tow capacity.
I was also getting like 7mpg thru Wyoming and 8.5mpg towing with Tacoma thru Denver. So that was not gonna work. My buddy has a 200 series Land Cruiser, was pulling a similar size trailer home from Bozeman and his mileage was slightly better than mine, so I knew the Tundra's 13/18 mpg was not gonna fly for an upgrade. Kind of ruled out a new Land Cruiser or Tundra. Also the Tundra made me feel small in the cabin, from a seating perspective, I am 5'6". The Ford F150 fit me perfectly, on the first test drive and gets 23 hwy MPG, towing I hear will be closer to 14-17mpg. I have not towed with it yet. But there are several folks in here that tow with a similar size trailer with the 2.7L and confirmed it is a good tow vehicle..

I know that is a lot but I hope it helps.

https://photos.smugmug.com/New-Ford-...20_heic-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/New-Ford-...50_heic-X2.jpg

2) I got the E2 Fastway WDH rated to 8000lbs at CW. You want to make sure to get one that is rated well over your trailer. The 10K lbs seemed beyond over kill so I stepped it back to the 8k LBS version.

3) Price was super fair and reasonable in my opinion based on the fact that you can't find these anywhere or have to wait for one after order. I saw prices at $22800.00 and when you add a 2k delivery and prep fee, I was right around that price point. I can't say enough great things about the dealership in North Salt Lake City, those guys were really good to us, I got a great price, they got me out the door fast and got me a fantastic interest rate.

4) pick up the Black/gray hose and an elbow if not in the kit, you will need it. Only 10ft hose fits in the hose storage. I tried larger and it will not fit. Towel door hanger way better than drilling towel rack into your walls. I saw that from another Epro guy. I also have the 18G gray water roller tank. Also you gotta get the love seat camping chair..

-Be super careful with your slide out. I slid mine out in our alley way to show a neighbor, it bumped my fence and got off camber, I did not realize until I re-tracked it in and it took out my trim on the thermostat wall.. ugh, I fixed it for now but need to order new trim.. It eventually rights itself once it closes.

-Season your griddle first before you use it.

-Pick up a set of locking lugs, and a hitch lock.

-Remember that if you are on plug in power your tv will work on plug in power, if you are on battery, it will work on cigarette lighter power..

rzims 09-10-2020 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice trailer, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. I pulled our 19FBS with a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the v6 and it was ok. Now have a Ram 1500 with the V8 and its so much better.
We've had some QC issues with drawers, the fridge front panel and other small stuff, but from what I hear, that is not brand specific and pretty common.
Our dealer swapped the 12v batteries for 2 6V golf cart batteries and they definitely make a difference.

ChrisSandstorm 09-10-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rzims (Post 2410825)
Nice trailer, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. I pulled our 19FBS with a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the v6 and it was ok. Now have a Ram 1500 with the V8 and its so much better.
We've had some QC issues with drawers, the fridge front panel and other small stuff, but from what I hear, that is not brand specific and pretty common.
Our dealer swapped the 12v batteries for 2 6V golf cart batteries and they definitely make a difference.

That is a really nice looking truck!

Mikec78 09-28-2020 05:21 PM

@ChrisSandstorm...

Sorry for the late reply, but THANK YOU for the details on this...We keep negotiating back and forth on one of these rigs and the wait is forever :(.

We have a Ford Explorer Sport with a Class II towing package for 500lb tongue and 5000lb tow capacity - so now you got me a little timid on putting my deposit down on one of these :(. Have you measured your tongue weight to see where things are at with batteries, WDH, propane, etc.? Would be curious as now you are making me think that I need to get a new SUV that can tow this bad boy...

Anyone else (that might read this) have any good sound advice? Is my transmission and bottom going to fall out of towing this E20BHS?

Lasty - what batteries did you go with (12V or 2x 6v)?

Thanks!

bikendan 09-28-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikec78 (Post 2422929)

We have a Ford Explorer Sport with a Class II towing package for 500lb tongue and 5000lb tow capacity - so now you got me a little timid on putting my deposit down on one of these :(. Have you measured your tongue weight to see where things are at with batteries, WDH, propane, etc.? Would be curious as now you are making me think that I need ?

Once you add two batteries, you're already over your Explorer's max hitch weight. And that's with no propane, no factory options, no dealer add-ons, water or cargo in the trailer.
With a fictional dry tongue weight of 455lbs(based on a stripped down version of the trailer), the weights of two batteries put it over 500lbs of hitch weight.

Mikec78 09-28-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 2422951)
Once you add two batteries, you're already over your Explorer's max hitch weight. And that's with no propane, no factory options, no dealer add-ons, water or cargo in the trailer.
With a fictional dry tongue weight of 455lbs(based on a stripped down version of the trailer), the weights of two batteries put it over 500lbs of hitch weight.

Thanks for the reply as I keep looking all over these forums and people say you should be good, you won't be good, etc. I just don't want to kill our SUV...as I was hoping a WDH would help with this issue...back to the drawing board it looks like (or upgrade the SUV)...hahaha

bikendan 09-28-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikec78 (Post 2422969)
Thanks for the reply as I keep looking all over these forums and people say you should be good, you won't be good, etc. I just don't want to kill our SUV...as I was hoping a WDH would help with this issue...back to the drawing board it looks like (or upgrade the SUV)...hahaha

This is the Achilles Heel of larger single axle TTs, especially those with the axle set farther back, heavier tongue weights.

ChrisSandstorm 09-29-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikec78 (Post 2422929)
@ChrisSandstorm...

Sorry for the late reply, but THANK YOU for the details on this...We keep negotiating back and forth on one of these rigs and the wait is forever :(.

We have a Ford Explorer Sport with a Class II towing package for 500lb tongue and 5000lb tow capacity - so now you got me a little timid on putting my deposit down on one of these :(. Have you measured your tongue weight to see where things are at with batteries, WDH, propane, etc.? Would be curious as now you are making me think that I need to get a new SUV that can tow this bad boy...

Anyone else (that might read this) have any good sound advice? Is my transmission and bottom going to fall out of towing this E20BHS?

Lasty - what batteries did you go with (12V or 2x 6v)?

Thanks!

Hey Mike,

Sorry I drafted a reply yesterday but guess I did not push the submit button..

1st the batteries the dealer included were 2 12V. I need to replace them with 2 marine batteries but first mod is a larger sink for the boss lady.

Ok let's talk about your tow rig..

Does your Explorer have a uni-body or ladder frame construction? If Unibody, and you are at the max towing for hitch and tow weight, I really believer you gotta punt and get a larger tow rig.

If the explorer has the 2.7 or 3.5 eco boost v6, and has a ladder frame construction, I think you could be ok to tow your trailer..but long term you are not gonna like doing that. Also if a ladder frame then you can use a weight distribution hitch and that will add to a more stable platform for towing.

These are just my educated guesses. Your gonna know what you are ok with and what you are not ok with. I will say if you ever decide to add water to your trailer tank for a trip, that weight was really noticeable with my Tacoma. Was not fun.