Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Berkshire (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f112/)
-   -   Berkshire 2014 390FL Fresh Water filling (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f112/berkshire-2014-390fl-fresh-water-filling-216431.html)

wdweldon 09-13-2020 08:39 AM

Berkshire 2014 390FL Fresh Water filling

How do I determine when the fresh water is full without running inside and watching the guage?

ChrisParise 09-13-2020 08:50 AM

To keep it simple,

Know your gallons per minute fill rate. Will be most accurate at home.

Empty your fw tank.

Start your stop watch and fill your fw tank.

When you hit the gauge levels, record the elapsed time.

Now you will know how long it takes to reach a gauge level.

TheWolfPaq82 09-13-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parise (Post 2412447)
To keep it simple,

Know your gallons per minute fill rate. Will be most accurate at home.

Empty your fw tank.

Start your stop watch and fill your fw tank.

When you hit the gauge levels, record the elapsed time.

Now you will know how long it takes to reach a gauge level.

As long as every single place you fill at......is exactly the same GPM as the one you used for the test.

ChrisParise 09-13-2020 09:13 AM

Yup, I said that. Will be most accurate at home.

TheWolfPaq82 09-13-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdweldon (Post 2412436)
How do I determine when the fresh water is full without running inside and watching the guage?

What I've done with every single popup, TT, that we've ever owned, is to run the water till it came out of the "Overflow Tube" underneath and then I turned off the water.

Igave 09-13-2020 09:44 AM

I bought a small in-line water meter at Ace I just screw in and keep track of. On my coach the overflow tube is routed poorly so I prefer to keep track of the gallons (although an estimate rather than exact) that way. On past rvs we’ve had I just watched the overflow tube.

wdweldon 09-13-2020 09:48 AM

Exactly where is the overflow hose? Do you suggest I overfilling once to find the hose?

Igave 09-13-2020 10:01 AM

Yours may be placed differently, but on my coach I can see the hose when I open the compartment holding the fw (and the water pump). Every overflow tube I’ve seen comes out below where the fresh water tank is.

TheWolfPaq82 09-13-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdweldon (Post 2412493)
Exactly where is the overflow hose? Do you suggest I overfilling once to find the hose?

I overfilled every time I filled the tank. Always knew the tank was full then.

Mmnsc 09-13-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdweldon (Post 2412493)

Be careful with Berkshires of that years. The overflow does not always allow water out and if you look at the fresh water tank some greatly expand upward with a big bulge

KPfulltimers 09-19-2020 08:30 PM

What he said, but...

On my 2013 390FL, if I overfill, the tank does expand...then the overfill tube works but turns into a siphon partially emptying the tank. So I just watch the tank level behind the gray/black water drain and make sure I never overfill. Pain watching it, but I have the time...I'm retired!

gasman94 10-17-2020 12:47 PM

I've got the same coach. I just open the door on the passenger side covering the water tank and pump. Prop it open and watch the progress. I did forget at one time when I was filling and it did fill up and look like it was going to burst. I won't do that again.

Rich

gordonsick 10-27-2020 01:59 PM

My fresh water tank bulges when I fill it, but I don't worry about it.

Basically, the tank is a wide rectangular box. The water pressure in the tank will naturally push the wide roof up. This wouldn't happen if the tank had a spherical shape, but that wouldn't be very efficient.

The tank looks like it is a pretty strong roto-molded plastic, so I don't think it will burst from the pressure of gravity in the tank. We aren't pressurizing the tank above normal atmospheric pressure as long as the overflow tube lets water out.

–Gordon