Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Georgetown (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Steps (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f16/steps-216687.html)

loyda 09-16-2020 09:40 AM

Steps
 
Kwikee steps open up over night. Was concerned on last trip so removed fuse while traveling. Steps worked fine while camping, came home and steps retracted like they should but were down the next morning when I ck on rv. Open and closed door and they went up stayed up all day, next day down again.

Iggy 09-16-2020 11:08 AM

Look at your screen door magnet.
Over time the screen door can move more or even out of shape.
I would look at the location of the magnet on the screen door and the contact assemble.
It may be the gap between the two are getting too great and needs adjustment or
maybe you just need a stronger magnet on the screen door.
Test and see.
You do know that the steps go in automatically when you start your engine.
Also do you have the step switch on or off when parked at a campground.
You should have the switch off when driving.

Iggy 09-21-2020 04:34 PM

Well did any of these ideas help?

270S 09-21-2020 05:12 PM

This happened on my initial drive home after PDI. It was crazy. It happened on the Dames Point Suspension Bridge in Jacksonville! It wasn't just the stairs. The door opened and the stairs too. It was a rude awakening to the RV industry. Long story, but I adjusted the door that the Factory never did to ensure it would lock shut.

loyda 09-21-2020 06:45 PM

We are going to try a few things this trip. Will let you know the out come.

Iggy 09-22-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270S (Post 2418340)
This happened on my initial drive home after PDI. It was crazy. It happened on the Dames Point Suspension Bridge in Jacksonville! It wasn't just the stairs. The door opened and the stairs too. It was a rude awakening to the RV industry. Long story, but I adjusted the door that the Factory never did to ensure it would lock shut.

Well if the door/screen door opens the step goes out.
It's all controlled by the screen door that holds the magnet.
Make sure you slam the door closed.
You can turn off the the override switch for the steps and see if the steps stay in while engine is running.
Just live and learn.

270S 09-22-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 2418768)
Well if the door/screen door opens the step goes out.
It's all controlled by the screen door that holds the magnet.
Make sure you slam the door closed.
You can turn off the the override switch for the steps and see if the steps stay in while engine is running.
Just live and learn.

This incident was 3 years ago after leaving the dealer after doing a full day PDI! I know what I'm doing. Not a newbie to RV crap any more. I do not give the industry the benefit of the doubt any more like I did when I first purchased.

A real PDI will take 4-5 days. You can NOT ASSUME anything is a given or done correctly. Every single item needs to be checked before you pay the balance and leave, or you are Scre^^ed!

My First & last RV. I have fixed over 70+ defects myself except the R&R on the windshield! It is very usable now, but still design defects will happen over time. I'm working on the water leak that just appeared - probably due to CA clearance lights.

I feel for the majority of RV owners incapable or unwilling to fix their RVs themselves and rely on God forbid warranty or after the fact places like CW. It makes owning a boat seem like smooth sailing. That's saying something.

loyda 09-22-2020 02:48 PM

I fixed the problem. Magnet on door to close to magnet on jamb. How would of thunk.

bubbles 09-22-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loyda (Post 2419012)
I fixed the problem. Magnet on door to close to magnet on jamb. How would of thunk.

Just a note. The only magnet is the one on the door. The item on the jamb is just a switch that is normally open (door open) and closes (door closed) to supply a ground to the steps controller.

loyda 09-22-2020 07:57 PM

I was surprised the magnet could be to close that it would not work the switch or ground


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.