Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Buying a New Forest River Product? (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/buying-a-new-forest-river-product-216959.html)

HangDiver 09-22-2020 05:38 PM

Overall I've been happy with my Micro Lite. I bought it lightly used and found a cracked drain pipe under the shower that I repaired myself. After that I refurbished the fresh water tank supports as I do alot of bouncing around off-road dry camping.

Being handy with repairs and having the right tools can make a big difference in TT ownership. I would buy the TT I bought over again if I needed to.

bikendan 09-22-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantdrive55 (Post 2419102)
One last thing to remember.. For every person who posts a complaint, there are scores of others who have had no issues and thus no reason to go online and post.

Very True!

bikendan 09-22-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aggie Dad (Post 2419112)
Rockwood is made by Forest River and have had very few problems with the trailer.

Actually Rockwood is made by the Rockwood/Flagstaff division of Forest River. Forest River's separate divisions make the RVs, in their own factories.

MCTroy 09-22-2020 07:21 PM

We LOVE our Forest River ROCKWOOD windjammer. It had a couple of issues fixed under warranty. Recently, it developed a roof pool problem but we will fix that ourselves.
This weekend we camped beside a beautiful Jayco 5th wheel. It was only 2 years old and very well maintained. The owners was upset because the plumbing in the kitchen was all loose. Drain not working and water leaking everywhere.
Every brand of trailer has issues...buy what you like and be careful of the PDI before you leave the dealership
Maybe find an experienced camper to go with you.

KAL 09-22-2020 07:48 PM

Thank you everyone. I just spent some time looking at the other models that folks said were quality or they had good experiences with. All were nice but mainly too large or lacked some of our basic requirements, which I don’t think are too grand. We had only 4 or 5 basic requirements:

-keep it within the 19’ to 22’ range, and light. We’re towing with a 2020 Ford Ranger with a 7500 lb towing capacity.
-Murphy Bed so we can have both a dinette and love seat and the illusion of more space.
-One slide-out
-Decent full-function bathroom
-Sufficient kitchen counter space and reasonable fridge capacity
-Of course, Chuck had a lot of technical requirements beyond the above. I’m not getting involved in that.

The Surveyor Legend 203RKLE ticked all the boxes. I think we’re going to move forward with ordering it. Based on everyone’s feedback on the importance of the dealer/service shop, the work remaining is researching the two dealers we got quotes from, which are 5k apart. Both dealerships are listed on the FR website. The more expensive one is local in Tucson while the more affordable one is in Phx, 2 hours away. Phx is a more competitive market, and the dealer said they just started carrying the FR line so maybe they're a little more hungry for the business? We’ve been looking off and on for a year now, have been cooped-up for the last 7 months, and I just want to get out of dodge sometime soon. Thank you all again for your great input. It’s “expected” to come in the Nov/Dec timeframe and we’ll be sure to let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again. ---Kathleen & Chuck BTW, this group ROCKS! Looking forward to getting to know you.

dmctlc 09-22-2020 08:04 PM

Great please get back to us, I for one would like to know where you went, why and how everything turns out once you get it. Thanks and enjoy...

aceinspp 09-22-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 2419154)
Very True!

X 2 you will hear the complaints but very seldom to good side. Later RJD

dschust1 09-22-2020 08:34 PM

We bought a 2018 Minilight 2104s used from a dealer. We love it!! We didnt have to wait for it and it still smells new! This is our first camper so buying something that had kinks worked and wasnt built in the rush of Covid sales makes me feel like we got a good deal without the depreciation! It was a trial purchase but its a keeper now!

busch543 09-22-2020 08:35 PM

IMO

Most important is the floor plan .If it meets your needs , then who makes them.
The next thing would be how much you can pay for the quality level .Most rvs are well engineered .This may sound a little over simplified but the day of the week your rv was made is probably the most important quality ingredient of all.
Just my thought . Good luck with whatever you chose .

UGACamper 09-22-2020 08:39 PM

Same story. Went for r-pod, came home with a Surveyor. I think if you go into it expecting perfection, you will be disappointed. Just like a house, there is always the potential for something to break or go wrong. But we have had ZERO issues with using our Forever warranty, everything has been covered. Our dealer is wonderful.

KAL 09-22-2020 08:56 PM

How Perfect! Thank you.

IvoryHemi 09-22-2020 09:24 PM

Iíve had some minor issues with my Coachmen, which I expected based on research. Dealers have been great. Overall, happy so far

wmtire 09-22-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 2419158)
Actually Rockwood is made by the Rockwood/Flagstaff division of Forest River. Forest River's separate divisions make the RVs, in their own factories.

A lot of confusion starts with the fact that there is a 'Forest River RV' (and it's associated divisions) within the 'Forest River Inc' parent company.

When the "Forest River" moniker is thrown out there in posts, it could be referring to the RV or the Inc parts...which are different

This thread may help:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...rv-200163.html

KAL 09-22-2020 10:10 PM

Thank you for the thread. I've been trying to figure out where the Surveyor resides. Very helpful.

dmctlc 09-22-2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceinspp (Post 2419231)
X 2 you will hear the complaints but very seldom to good side. Later RJD

I'm not sure complaints are the only thing you hear on this forum many times I've heard folks tell the happiness they've had with their RVs on this former, I'm sure you've and others that made that comment of only hearing complaints have yourselves started or made positive threads. Right? But these forums help this deal with the many quality issues that the RV industry have. I, myself several times compare the RV industry to the auto industry of the 70s and 80s when high quality Japanese cars started its quest into the American market and it changed the auto industry for all of us. Well if you think the RV industry is up to the quality level of today's cars your sadly mistaken. Iíve had friends with million dollar Class As with issues similar to TTs, popups etc. And others with really none. The point is in many cases most people deal with their issues, others fight it out with the dealers and others have maybe no real issues. Many never join the forums for many reasons. I've camped for my entire life from tents, pop-ups and TTs and thats a fairly long life but until I bought my first Class A I never thought of the forums existed, had time with two full-time careers for over 40 yrs. But now that I'm here I enjoyed the information good or bad and appreciate everyone's input, most of the time, like I'm sure everyone else does. Besides without complaints why would a forum exist to tell everyone the RVs are running fine 🙂. I learn about mods, upgraded, so it is what it is so we all learn. Its helped many make some good decisions I'm sure. Now I'm sure some won't like what I said but IMHO now tha I'm retired and can spend more time reading I find even at my age there's lot to learn even here. Enjoy i love camping, clamping or whatever its called today. 😉

dvalley 09-22-2020 11:50 PM

We have owned forest river products for over ten years and would not even consider purchasing anything else. The quality is far superior to any other brand of camper that we looked at, or knew from others who have owned them. We currently have a rockwood roo 23ss and it is absolutely perfect for most of our needs. Only two minor issues in the six years we have had it. Would not hesitate to buy another forest river product.

KAL 09-23-2020 12:01 AM

Thank you. I've learned a lot and feeling much more confident in our decision to go with the Surveyor Legend. We can't wait to hit the road. Let's hope it shows up before the end of the year. :)

bikendan 09-23-2020 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmtire (Post 2419296)
A lot of confusion starts with the fact that there is a 'Forest River RV' (and it's associated divisions) within the 'Forest River Inc' parent company.

When the "Forest River" moniker is thrown out there in posts, it could be referring to the RV or the Inc parts...which are different

This thread may help:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...rv-200163.html

But it's probably best to use the actual brand name with the model number, instead of just "Forest River" in front of the model number.
And some brands use the same model number.

rlocicero 09-23-2020 06:43 AM

We have a Flagstaff Superlite 8296FKSS and love it. We would buy another one in a heartbeat but they discontinued our floorplan and have none that we like now. It is ten years old and we decided to fix it up. We had to replace a couple of lights, a compartment latch, a window blind in the kitchen and one plastic vent cover. I caulked any lights or seams that were questionable and had JRV RV Service check the caulk on the roof. They touched up caulking as needed and inspected the roof for water leaks and damage (none were found). I still need to have the roof cleaned and have a protector applied. I used to do that myself, but at 72 with 2 new knees and a new hip, I do not feel comfortable up there any more. Between the lights, caulking, parts and roof maintenance, we are all set for about $4oo.oo. Repairs over the years have been minimal. We did have one major delamination issue with the floor just after the warranty expired but Forest River brought the trailer back to the factory and replaced it and covered it under warranty.

alealitha 09-23-2020 02:46 PM

I looked at the floor plan you're considering (Surveyor Legend 203RKLE). Two things that come to mind were issues we had with our first RV. The bench table, while providing very nice storage underneath, was horrible for long term sitting. Dinner was fine, but a several hours of game night and the benches were just horribly uncomfortable. Second, it looks like the couch/seating area is at an angle to the TV, again, for short periods was fine, but for any length of time it grew uncomfortable. Both were things we didn't consider when we got our 1st rv, but were among the issues that caused us to sell that one and buy another.

You may have already considered this, just wanted to add some personal experience.
Adam