Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Cardinal (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Battery disconnect (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f22/battery-disconnect-217429.html)

SteveE9C6 09-26-2020 04:54 PM

Battery disconnect

We have a new Cardinal Luxury 345rlx. We just completed our initial trip of three weeks. I put the RV in storage attached to trickle charger. On our former coach we just hit the storage battery disconnected switch. Is it the same for this RV? I removed the battery disconnect pin to disconnect battery but wanted to check.

djousma 09-26-2020 07:27 PM

No, the factory disconnect does not disconnect everything. I installed another disconnect right at the battery for this reason. LP and CO detectors bypass the disconnect for liability reasons.

CHICKDOE 09-26-2020 07:58 PM

if it is like our cardinal the factory installed battery disconnect is useless. i think i found 5 separate devices that still draw battery power even if the factory disconnect is set to off. i installed my own disconnect right at the batteries and it disconnects all devices.

Hawkpat 09-27-2020 08:24 AM

What battery disconnect switch did you install. I need to fo the same thing with my 2020 3456rlx. I have two batteries installed.

CHICKDOE 09-27-2020 08:38 AM

in my case i installed a Marinco battery switch. you will also need an additional battery cable to go with it. there are several others. you can also use a quick disconnect on the battery cable right at the battery terminal found in the auto parts stores.

Scrapper 09-27-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveE9C6 (Post 2421622)
We have a new Cardinal Luxury 345rlx. We just completed our initial trip of three weeks. I put the RV in storage attached to trickle charger. On our former coach we just hit the storage battery disconnected switch. Is it the same for this RV? I removed the battery disconnect pin to disconnect battery but wanted to check.

Which battery disconnect pin did you remove? If it's the one on the hitch a-frame with the cable it is your break-a-way switch for the brakes in case the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle and your brakes will then have continuous power from the battery.

I'm asking because not all battery disconnects have a removable handle or pin.

SteveE9C6 09-27-2020 03:35 PM

I removed the pin in the basement storage wall labeled battery disconnect.

What I am curious about is if the battery continues to trickle charge when this is disconnected. Our previous diesel coach batteries continued to charge when battery disconnect was engaged.

djousma 09-28-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveE9C6 (Post 2422201)
I removed the pin in the basement storage wall labeled battery disconnect.

What I am curious about is if the battery continues to trickle charge when this is disconnected. Our previous diesel coach batteries continued to charge when battery disconnect was engaged.

If you are connecting the trickle charger directly to the batteries, then yes, they will still charge. I have found that is not really necessary if they are fully charged when put away, and the battery is disconnected completely.

I do know (from experience), is that if the factory installed battery disconnect is turned off, that the converter will NOT charge the batteries if connected to shore power.