Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Tips and Tricks (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   Sap removal (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f88/sap-removal-217921.html)

Devon 10-03-2020 05:45 PM

Sap removal

2 Attachment(s)
I need help. I have been scouring the net looking for the best process to remove tree sap from the front of my travel trailer. The best I have found is isopropyl alcohol but I worry it will ruin the finish. As I spot tested and it left a dull mark so I stopped. Is there a better way or can I wax and buff to bring the shine back?

Thanks, Devon

TitanMike 10-04-2020 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon (Post 2426231)
I need help. I have been scouring the net looking for the best process to remove tree sap from the front of my travel trailer. The best I have found is isopropyl alcohol but I worry it will ruin the finish. As I spot tested and it left a dull mark so I stopped. Is there a better way or can I wax and buff to bring the shine back?

Thanks, Devon

Both Mayonaise and Peanut Butter are supposed to be great for removing tree sap.

Apply, let sit a while to soften, then go after it with a soft cloth. Rinse, repeat, as necessary.

Neither should harm finish or shine but may remove any wax you previously applied.

JB23 10-19-2020 05:45 PM

Iíve always used motor oil to get pine sap off my hands. Probably why mayo works. Maybe try out of the way spot w/cooking oil or mayo. Worth a try.
JB

Theo 10-20-2020 09:27 AM

I've successfully used Rapid Remover for pine sap on both my TT and TV. I am very careful about its application on the TT and avoid using it on an area where the edges of the TT's decals are applied.

As with all chemical solutions, try the product out on an inconspicuous area first. My TT is gel-coated fiberglass.

Here's what I do. Use the heaviest (most absorbent) paper towel you can find and cut it into 1" or 1.5" squares depending on the size of the sap marks. Saturate the squares with the Rapid Remover but not so much that they drip. Apply the squares to each sap mark and let them sit on the mark in the shade. Wait about 10-minutes and (one at a time) remove each square and immediately try to wipe-off the residue. If any remains, reapply a new saturated square and move on. Once all sap marks are gone, clean the area and apply a fresh coat of wax/sealant.

As always, YMMV.

Dupesy 10-24-2020 02:34 PM

I have excellent luck using olive or vegetable oil to remove pine sap from my dog's fur, should also work great on the camper. I'd try a small spot and see what it does to the finish first.

KyDan 10-24-2020 02:35 PM

Turpentine will dissolve pine sap. Wear gloves- it's smelly. Been there done that on my truck more than once.

Scrapper 10-25-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyDan (Post 2439048)
Turpentine will dissolve pine sap. Wear gloves- it's smelly. Been there done that on my truck more than once.

As it should. Organic turpentine is made from distillation of live tree sap, mainly pine.