Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Dynamax (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   Dynamax Lithium Battery Option (Video) (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f240/dynamax-lithium-battery-option-video-218347.html)

bclemens 10-09-2020 09:11 AM

Dynamax Lithium Battery Option (Video)

We have had so many questions from people about upgrading. Many think you can just drop a couple of batteries in place of lead acid and its not so simple (at least not if you want to take full advantage).

So we did a little video explaining what goes into it.

PS. We oversimplified this by design as it is intended to just be a "primer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8WkNa8Pi8

FOURWHL 10-09-2020 09:38 AM

Just saw that on YouTube. Nicely summed up, well done.

Delco Bobby 10-09-2020 08:13 PM

Agree, very good.

toshu 10-09-2020 11:41 PM

Brian, while watching this video, I realized that it would benefit us if some of the technical videos were available for download in lower resolution.
If someone is in the boonies without access to YouTube, having the videos on setting the null on the levelers or resetting the slide, on my tablet and phone might be a real benefit.

Bill Davis 10-10-2020 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bclemens (Post 2430012)
We have had so many questions from people about upgrading. Many think you can just drop a couple of batteries in place of lead acid and its not so simple (at least not if you want to take full advantage).

Great post, thanks.

vlamgat 10-10-2020 07:12 AM

Great video. Smart phone manufacturers should offer similar descriptions. Not to hijack the thread, but this also is a partial explanation as to why you should not use old chargers with new phones even if the plug is compatible. The new chemistry in a 2020 phone as compared to (say) a 2019 needs the benefit of a higher amp charger.

Boeing ran into similar problems in the early days of the 787 and the technology we are getting in these RV units reflect what they had to learn.

bclemens 10-10-2020 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by toshu (Post 2430546)
Brian, while watching this video, I realized that it would benefit us if some of the technical videos were available for download in lower resolution.
If someone is in the boonies without access to YouTube, having the videos on setting the null on the levelers or resetting the slide, on my tablet and phone might be a real benefit.

1. YouTube offers a setting for low res if you do not have high speed.
2. If a technical video provides "how to" or "troubleshooting" it is also listed in the owners manual smart phone app, that smart phone app can download the entire manual in the event you do not have cell service
3. If it is something like the "slide reset" we add that video to the USB flash drive that we ship with the coach.

You mean something like that?

toshu 10-10-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bclemens (Post 2430705)
1. YouTube offers a setting for low res if you do not have high speed.
2. If a technical video provides "how to" or "troubleshooting" it is also listed in the owners manual smart phone app, that smart phone app can download the entire manual in the event you do not have cell service
3. If it is something like the "slide reset" we add that video to the USB flash drive that we ship with the coach.

You mean something like that?

If a how to video is on the vehicle's USB drive that's great but it would be handy to be able to just download it from one of your web pages when we have NO connectivity. Having lower Rez video, not on YouTube but on your videos available for download make it a more manageable file size to store on a phone, tablet or PC.

bclemens 10-10-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshu (Post 2430741)
If a how to video is on the vehicle's USB drive that's great but it would be handy to be able to just download it from one of your web pages when we have NO connectivity. Having lower Rez video, not on YouTube but on your videos available for download make it a more manageable file size to store on a phone, tablet or PC.

See #2 (Forest River Owners Manual Smart Phone App).

mlmay12 10-10-2020 02:06 PM

Excellent simple video that pretty much covers everything. Thanks Brian, without a doubt the best upgrade I have done and has performed flawlessly for 32 months with the exact components you have shown. The Low Temp battery option will push my friend over the edge to upgrade : )

johnshoe 10-11-2020 08:50 AM

I just upgraded my 2016 Forester to LiFePo Battleborn batteries. I also replaced the Charger with a drop in replacement Progressive dynamics unit, I also added a Victron Battery monitor with bluetooth, so I could check with my smartphone, and due to the cold weather where I live I add heating jackets on at 35 off at 45. So far it has been worth the money. I had to replace the old Lead/acid batteries anyway so I figured it was time to upgrade.

mlmay12 10-11-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnshoe (Post 2431218)
I just upgraded my 2016 Forester to LiFePo Battleborn batteries. I also replaced the Charger with a drop in replacement Progressive dynamics unit, I also added a Victron Battery monitor with bluetooth, so I could check with my smartphone, and due to the cold weather where I live I add heating jackets on at 35 off at 45. So far it has been worth the money. I had to replace the old Lead/acid batteries anyway so I figured it was time to upgrade.

Did you do the Li-BIM 225? Very big improvement for charging to complete a very nice system. I have the exact same as you on my 2016 Isata 3FW.

JC70 10-11-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Brian, are you all looking to add a lithium option to the Freightliner trucks? We have an XL on order not expected to reach the production line until about December. I would consider that option if it becomes available. thanks.

johndjmix 10-11-2020 11:20 AM

Im a big fan of lead acid. Not sure why everyone wants to spend all this money on lithium, is it necessary?

On my DX3 i can easily go from dinner time to lunch time the next day...running all the normal stuff including the fridge...without issue.

Lithium is cool, but is it necessary for the cost?

Also, if you have ever seen a lithium battery blowup/gas release its not pretty. We purposly shorted an iphone battery here to see what happens. From 20 ft away i got a little whif of the smoke and it was like fire. And thats just a tiny iphone battery.

Lead for me for the win!

--John

FOURWHL 10-11-2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndjmix (Post 2431295)
Im a big fan of lead acid. Not sure why everyone wants to spend all this money on lithium, is it necessary?

On my DX3 i can easily go from dinner time to lunch time the next day...running all the normal stuff including the fridge...without issue.

Lithium is cool, but is it necessary for the cost?

Also, if you have ever seen a lithium battery blowup/gas release its not pretty. We purposly shorted an iphone battery here to see what happens. From 20 ft away i got a little whif of the smoke and it was like fire. And thats just a tiny iphone battery.

Lead for me for the win!

--John

Mostly when boondocking. Also weight savings on the smaller coaches. For traveling normally between hookups the AGMs do just fine.

If you look at usable AH as well as service life in cycles the lithium actually work out cheaper in the long run.

I went with 6v golf cart lead acid last year when I expanded mine, but that was more of an immediate budget concern than any thought that lead acid is better

bratbros 10-11-2020 12:34 PM

Any plans to offer the lithium as a retrofit upgrade for us "legacy" owners?

bclemens 10-12-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC70 (Post 2431276)
Brian, are you all looking to add a lithium option to the Freightliner trucks? We have an XL on order not expected to reach the production line until about December. I would consider that option if it becomes available. thanks.

We are...but not until they develop a 4D or 8D sizing...just too many jumpers to try and make it work with smaller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bratbros (Post 2431339)
Any plans to offer the lithium as a retrofit upgrade for us "legacy" owners?

Retrofit is not really in our business model...but I will say, several people have already done this upgrade on their own using the same components.

Some have gone from BIM to LI-Bim which was pretty easy. And someone has already gone from BIRD to Li-Bim on here as well.

bruinstinks 10-12-2020 02:03 PM

Lithium Option

Mr. Clemens,

I just ordered a new Force HD in August. I have not yet been assigned a VIN, but am anxiously awaiting!

I did not see Lithium as an option. Is there an option for lithium on the Freightliner chassis from the factory?

bclemens 10-12-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruinstinks (Post 2431979)
Mr. Clemens,

I just ordered a new Force HD in August. I have not yet been assigned a VIN, but am anxiously awaiting!

I did not see Lithium as an option. Is there an option for lithium on the Freightliner chassis from the factory?

Please see post #17, first half.

djbiz1 10-17-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

I own a 2019 Isata 3 24RWM. I am considering upgrading my battery bank from AGM to Lithium. However, before I do that I want to be absolutely sure of the process. If I understand your video correctly, to do this upgrade I would need to replace or add a BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor, Low Temperature Version, Three Stage Lithium Charger, and a Li Bim 225 Battery Management device as well as two Lithium Batteries. Is this correct?