Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   FR3 (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/)
-   -   Fumoto Lever Clip Engine Oil Drain Valve / Yes or No? (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/fumoto-lever-clip-engine-oil-drain-valve-yes-or-no-218928.html)

EGRJR 10-18-2020 08:14 AM

Fumoto Lever Clip Engine Oil Drain Valve / Yes or No?

Hello All!

I'm about to tackle my first engine oil change on my FR3 MH that has the 2019 Ford F-53 chassis. I've watched several You Tube videos for tips & tricks with changing the oil since the oil pan drain plug is just above the front frame bar which isn't convenient.

I have seen two videos where RV owners recommend the Fumoto Lever Clip Engine Oil Drain Valve to make the draining of the oil less messy. There are plenty of Amazon reviews on this type of product, but wanted to check with my fellow campers to get your opinion.

Thanks for your feedback!

Eugene

dontay 10-18-2020 08:24 AM

I have used one of these things on rigs since 1998. I use the model with the nipple for tubing. It works just as advertised. I have a 2.5 gal used oil jug that I put the other end of the tubing in then I open the valve.
Only negative over the years is when I had the oil changed at the Walmart in Havre,MT the guy complained about it being so slow to drain. It takes somewhere around 2 minutes on our V-10.

SeaDog 10-18-2020 08:27 AM

Fumoto oil valves are a real plus I installed one on my last diesel truck and loved it.

Jim34RL 10-18-2020 11:44 AM

I have had one on my diesel truck since my first oil change back in 2008. I change my oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first. That means I have done this at least 23 times, the valve works great with no leaks and with no mess.

DouglasReid 10-18-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGRJR (Post 2435324)
Hello All!

I'm about to tackle my first engine oil change on my FR3 MH that has the 2019 Ford F-53 chassis. I've watched several You Tube videos for tips & tricks with changing the oil since the oil pan drain plug is just above the front frame bar which isn't convenient.

I have seen two videos where RV owners recommend the Fumoto Lever Clip Engine Oil Drain Valve to make the draining of the oil less messy. There are plenty of Amazon reviews on this type of product, but wanted to check with my fellow campers to get your opinion.

Eugene

The very first time I changed the oil in my truck, with a brand new catch pan with a lip to contain the splashes.............The oil came roaring out over the splash guard, all over me and the concrete.

I bought and installed a Fumoto valve with a nipple for a piece of 3/8 plastic tubing. NEVER again will I be without a Fumoto valve!

It does drain slow, so I insure the engine is warm and while the oil is draining I change the filter, etc. Small price to pay for a wonderful solution to all that the mess

bob213 10-18-2020 12:31 PM

Another satisfied user of the Fumoto with the nipple. I have a skid plate that fills with oil without the hose and the Fumoto valve makes it a clean easy drain.

Oregonian 10-18-2020 12:34 PM

Fumoto-YES

Have them on several vehicles...never a problem. save the mess, get one. Only negative is that, yes, they are slow to drain but just take your time.

Steelhorzz 10-18-2020 12:41 PM

A little slow, but works well

I change my own oil and filter in my GeorgeTown XL.
The Ford design problem, (my opinion), is that the oil sprays right down on the frame. A total mess!
I installed a Fumoto valve replacing the oil drain plug. Attach a bit of vinyl tubing and place the end of the hose in a container. Flip the valve and the oil drains out very neatly. 👍
However, it is sloooower than just removing the crankcase drain plug.

So, I always start the engine and run it a few minutes to warm up the oil.

And I always have a project scheduled to perform when it's oil change time.

Run the generator
Clean the inside of the coach
Check the batteries.

I highly recommend the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve!!

Sandy12345 10-18-2020 12:43 PM

Fumoto Oil Drain Plug

Good Information. Is there any difference in the thread sizes on these. I have a 2016 F350 6.7 Deisel. Is there a recommended one for my vehicle. This is the one I looked at. Will it work?

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F108N-...s%2C176&sr=8-3

dmctlc 10-18-2020 01:34 PM

I traded in my gasser for a DP this past May and when I do the oil in it this winter I plan on installing it without a doubt...

johnshoe 10-18-2020 02:20 PM

I have a 2016 Forster on a Ford E450 chassis with the good old V10...I put one one and it works, but it does take longer to drain the oil... it's a good idea to stick on a piece of rubber hose...there's no pressure so it doesn't need to be clamped on. It sure is neater than taking the plug out and trying to get your hand out of the way before getting covered with oil...

Old Bleu 10-18-2020 03:08 PM

I've used the Fumoto valves for years, and have never had a problem with them leaking or getting hit. It does take a bit longer to drain, but it's so much neater. On my Cummins, I pull it into my shop in the evening and let it drain overnight, then complete the oil and filter change the next morning.

rollscanardly 10-18-2020 03:26 PM

I used 2 of them on a 6.0 Powerstroke engine to replace the coolant drain plugs.

Th worked out great. I will install one on my Ram when the next oil change is due.

Rich

RudysWorld 10-18-2020 04:00 PM

Check fumoto website for the valve that fits your vehicle. I just ordered on for my pickup and will be getting on for the MH

kirk37r 10-18-2020 05:00 PM

Anyone that does their own maintenance should install A Fumoto drain plug. I will be putting one in my Transmission pan when I service it. If your one to take your rig and pay for service then dont worry about it, The time it takes the guy to clean up the mess from the oil change without it, makes up for the outrageous pricing you pay for them to do it.

sfsgm 10-18-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGRJR (Post 2435324)
Hello All!

Eugene

They work great. They gave me a free one when I corrected a misspelling in their advertisements.

robo44 10-18-2020 10:03 PM

100% yes, i have one with the nipple cap for protection. remember to keep your old plug in the rig as a back up but for oil changes FUMOTO is the way to go

Slow Moon 10-23-2020 02:02 PM

Any "slow to drain" concerns can be immediately dismissed if you change your own oil (and why would you want this valve if you don't?).

After running engine to warm the oil, I'd let the oil drip at least 20 minutes drain time before plug reinstall. My manual says to wait 20 minutes after engine-off for accurate oil level check. If you need to wait that long for level check, it makes sense to do at least the same for drain time.

I have checked and know a LOT of dirty old comes out after the stream turns to slow drip. Adequate drain time is the main reason I change my own oil. I don't trust the shops for this.

I never drain less than an hour and almost always drain overnight.

BehindBars 10-23-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudysWorld (Post 2435595)
Check fumoto website for the valve that fits your vehicle. I just ordered on for my pickup and will be getting on for the MH

Just checked Fumoto web site for application. It badly needs updating. I have a 2019 Ford E-450. Nothing listed for any Fords after model year 2017. Even for 2017, no Ford E-450 listed. Had to put in 2014 model year to see an E-450. I think I'll just stick with the drain plug.

Stank Bait 10-23-2020 02:55 PM

Try putting Ford heavy duty in and click continue