Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Salem (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Brand new Salem 30KQBSS - slideout will not open (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f26/brand-new-salem-30kqbss-slideout-will-not-open-218969.html)

Jagsare1 10-18-2020 05:51 PM

Brand new Salem 30KQBSS - slideout will not open
 
The day I took delivery, the slide out worked. Now, a couple of weeks later, went to get it ready for a trip and it will not work. Battery switch is on and the truck was hooked to it. I have searched this camper front to back and cannot find any kind of electrical or breaker panel. Owners manual mentions breakers but nothing else. Lousy useless owners manual has virtually no specific information for this camper.

I received an operators manual for a "Distribution center" so I am assuming there is one somewhere.

Any idea where I might find some kind of electrical panel where fuses or breakers might be? Thanks.

bikendan 10-18-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagsare1 (Post 2435663)
Owners manual mentions breakers but nothing else. Lousy useless owners manual has virtually no specific information for this camper.

I received an operators manual for a "Distribution center" so I am assuming there is one somewhere.

Any idea where I might find some kind of electrical panel where fuses or breakers might be? Thanks.

You must be new to the RV world. Nearly all RV manufacturers only provide a generic owner's manual with no model-specific nor brand-specific information. Just basic RV systems information.

Here is what the WFCO distribution panel looks like:

https://images.app.goo.gl/fuGJBMEMbwJ3pMTP8

Fuses and breakers are behind the door.

Jagsare1 10-18-2020 10:58 PM

Yep, new but the item you showed the picture isn't in the camper. I have searched front to back and cannot find it. I am reading that I may have to have the camper hooked to 110 to get the slide to open which is ridiculous. I don't have 110 where it is located and don't want to lug a generator every time. The fact that owners manuals have always sucked isn't really an excuse. At this point, all I want to know is where that panel is.

Ohio_john 10-19-2020 12:26 AM

On my trailer if slide is in..you can’t see it! But trust us, it’s there!! Shouldn’t need 110 unless battery is real low. You can open/close by hand also. But the panel could be in a cupboard, inside outside storage, although rare...also..you said it is hooked to truck, is truck running? If battery is too low, truck is not running..there will be very little if any voltage coming from truck battery..start the truck and try it again if not. If that doesn’t do it..the fuse is blown and you’ll have to find panel or open/close by hand. Good luck

KKonyha 10-19-2020 05:41 AM

You are correct, the slide is 12V so 110 isn't necessary. I would hook it up to 110 and see if the slide works to begin the trouble shooting process. If it is still under warranty and the dealer can get it in, let him worry about it.

Bama Rambler 10-19-2020 06:03 AM

The power panel in that RV is under the wardrobe drawers right beside the dinette. However there's a chance that the slide out fuse isn't in the panel.

First thing to do it make sure the battery(s) are fully charged.
Then check the power panel to see if the slide fuse is in there.
If it isn't look under the front near the tongue for a 12 volt breaker. It will look something like the device below. It can be plastic or metal. The small button on the side is a reset. Press it to reset the breaker.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...webp_QL65_.jpg

Adrian Gordon 10-19-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagsare1 (Post 2435663)
The day I took delivery, the slide out worked. Now, a couple of weeks later, went to get it ready for a trip and it will not work. Battery switch is on and the truck was hooked to it. I have searched this camper front to back and cannot find any kind of electrical or breaker panel. Owners manual mentions breakers but nothing else. Lousy useless owners manual has virtually no specific information for this camper.

I received an operators manual for a "Distribution center" so I am assuming there is one somewhere.

Any idea where I might find some kind of electrical panel where fuses or breakers might be? Thanks.

Is your battery charged?

Jagsare1 10-19-2020 03:11 PM

Try to answer all. Yes, battery is charged. But even if it wasn't, the truck with 2 large batteries are charged and the engine was running. Everything in the camper works except the slide out.

Don't really have "wardrobe drawers by the dinette" but I will look again.

I did speak to the dealer this morning. He believes the panel is in the bunk area and told me where it should be. I swear I had already looked there but will again. Of course, can't get to it with the slide closed without crawling over the table and dinette.

Also mentioned that there is a breaker near the tongue probably inside the frame. My gut tells me(for reasons I can't really explain) that the problem is there. Either reset that breaker, check for loose wires, or replace.

Again, everything in the camper works except for the slide but there are 2 breakers(according to the dealer). One for the slide and one for everything else.

Not sure exactly when I can get back out to it to check.

RMWSierra 10-19-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagsare1 (Post 2435663)
The day I took delivery, the slide out worked. Now, a couple of weeks later, went to get it ready for a trip and it will not work. Battery switch is on and the truck was hooked to it. I have searched this camper front to back and cannot find any kind of electrical or breaker panel. Owners manual mentions breakers but nothing else. Lousy useless owners manual has virtually no specific information for this camper.

I received an operators manual for a "Distribution center" so I am assuming there is one somewhere.

Any idea where I might find some kind of electrical panel where fuses or breakers might be? Thanks.

You need a meter to check voltage on camper battery. If you tried to operate with low voltage it may have blown a fuse. Fuse may not be in panel but somewhere near battery. Fully charged battery is your friend.

Jagsare1 10-19-2020 03:23 PM

I can do that. I made the assumption that a new, 2-3 week old battery shouldn't be the problem.

Tundra 2014 10-20-2020 10:27 AM

Slide
 
Hook shore power up and try. If that does not solve it. Check under the trailer tongue for blown fuse, in a small black or green plastic box 2"x2". They do this because when the fuse blows you can not get to the panel inside. It has happened to us when DW has started putting slides out when I am putting tongue jack down-wrong way to do it.
PS-tongue jack fuse is there also.

Jagsare1 10-20-2020 11:11 AM

The camper is an hour away. Where it is currently, no way to get power to it. Next step is the breaker on the frame, my bet is that is the issue. I'll update when I get to it, probably this weekend.

Tundra 2014 10-20-2020 11:26 AM

Slide
 
As long as no 12 volt refrigerator that was being used on drive home, I would expect battery to be good. When I blew those fuses, I cussed FR for not putting it w/ regular fuse block before figuring out why they put it there. This was after hand cranking the slide and front jack. Many people replace that fuse w/ a resettable circuit breaker. One fuse holder is black and the other army green. I carry extra fuses in my truck, but if I do things in proper sequence, I have not blown them again. On my trailer, 1 high amp item at a time on battery.

Jagsare1 10-20-2020 11:42 AM

I was told the frame mounted are resettable? Of course, no idea of type and size of fuses so until I see them, no way to prepare. The useless owners manual is truly offensive.

bikendan 10-20-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagsare1 (Post 2436746)
The camper is an hour away. Where it is currently, no way to get power to it. Next step is the breaker on the frame, my bet is that is the issue. I'll update when I get to it, probably this weekend.

Can you borrow a generator to take?

Jagsare1 10-20-2020 04:07 PM

I have a generator. Not worth the hassle to load it up. I feel 95% the issue is the breaker which wouldn't have anything to do with the generator. Either the breaker or a repair is needed but my money is on the breaker.

campers302 10-24-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagsare1 (Post 2436926)
I have a generator. Not worth the hassle to load it up. I feel 95% the issue is the breaker which wouldn't have anything to do with the generator. Either the breaker or a repair is needed but my money is on the breaker.

Following
:signhavefun:

Oaklevel 10-24-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagsare1 (Post 2436170)
I can do that. I made the assumption that a new, 2-3 week old battery shouldn't be the problem.

Do not assume that a new 2-3 week old battery is charged. There are draws that will deplete the battery in 2-3 weeks easily such as the CO detector. Be sure to check it.

Good Luck !!!

:signhavefun:

MillMitch 10-24-2020 11:08 AM

One other easy thing to try when you get there. I've got a 2018 Grey Wolf, and last summer we were setting up camp and the slide wouldn't work. Pushed 'out' on toggle and nothing, no noise, nothing. On a lark, I pushed toggle 'in' and slide motor ran briefly. I couldn't tell if slide moved or not. Then I pushed 'out' on slide toggle and slide went out just fine. This happens with mine about 1/4 of the time.
Good luck

bob213 10-24-2020 11:50 AM

If you don't have a battery disconnect or unhook a cable it is very possible to have a low battery. That little wire running thru your 7 pin connector is not enough to power your slideout. I would bring a set of jumper cables with you and try to jump your trailer battery directly from your truck once you determine with a meter that your trailer battery is low.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.