Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Charging Systems & Solar (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/)
-   -   electric question by Newbie (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/electric-question-by-newbie-219408.html)

blposman 10-25-2020 11:30 AM

electric question by Newbie

Can anyone help with electrical questions? I am a newbie in my 2015 Forest River Sunseeker. Purchased just recently. I went out on a shake-down trip. First, on night one I experienced alarm on my CO detector with lights indicating low battery. I was plugged in to shore power so this made no sense to me. I started the coach engine and ran for 5 minutes. This solved the problem. Night 2, all 12 volt power in the coach went out. Still plugged in. started the engine and again, everything came up and worked the rest of the night. Came home on day 3 and plugged in to 20 amp at my home. Cold weather caused me to leave a small electric heater plugged in since I have not winterized. Next morning, no power in rv at all. no 110 in outlets or 12 volt. I checked breakers and everything looked good but I reset the main breaker and all is great again. Any ideas? could it be the converter? The batteries checked out good when I had them tested. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

wmtire 10-25-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blposman (Post 2439466)
Can anyone help with electrical questions? I am a newbie in my 2015 Forest River Sunseeker. Purchased just recently. I went out on a shake-down trip. First, on night one I experienced alarm on my CO detector with lights indicating low battery. I was plugged in to shore power so this made no sense to me. I started the coach engine and ran for 5 minutes. This solved the problem. Night 2, all 12 volt power in the coach went out. Still plugged in. started the engine and again, everything came up and worked the rest of the night. Came home on day 3 and plugged in to 20 amp at my home. Cold weather caused me to leave a small electric heater plugged in since I have not winterized. Next morning, no power in rv at all. no 110 in outlets or 12 volt. I checked breakers and everything looked good but I reset the main breaker and all is great again. Any ideas? could it be the converter? The batteries checked out good when I had them tested. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

It could be your converter and the reverse polarity fuses to it. They are the first thing to check.

This thread, and the last post will tell you where you may look.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-152813.html

JLeising 10-25-2020 12:48 PM

Could be the circuit breaker for your converter. Try flipping all your breakers fully off, then back on. My 2012 occasionally trips the converter breaker for no reason I can discern. Sneaky - everything appears to work (as things are working on battery) until the batteries run down...

blposman 10-25-2020 01:05 PM

thanks. Reverse Polarity Fuse? are you saying a specific fuse or simply something is reversed?

blposman 10-25-2020 01:07 PM

Thanks. not sure of the breaker idea since running the engine seemed to get things back up and running. but, next time it all goes out, i will surely try this.

wmtire 10-25-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blposman (Post 2439503)
thanks. Reverse Polarity Fuse? are you saying a specific fuse or simply something is reversed?

It's explained in post #5 of the thread I linked to above. Converters have one or more fuses to protect themselves from someone connecting a battery in reverse and ruining the converter circuitry.

Sometimes these reverse polarity fuses blow from a bad battery or inrush of current from a depleted battery needing charged via the converter. If these fuses blow, then the converter will not function for any reason till replaced.. Again, please read the thread I linked to earlier.

JLeising 10-25-2020 01:14 PM

Engine running charges using the alternator. Breaker only shuts off the converter - so engine alternator charging not impacted. If your converter is not working - either because of reverse polarity fuse failure or converter circuit breaker tripped- your batteries are not getting charged when on shore power. Operation until “all goes out” in that condition could damage your house batteries.
FYI, Jim

Bama Rambler 10-25-2020 01:20 PM

Have you made sure the converter breaker is on and not tripped?

Do you have a way to check voltage when plugged in and when just on battery power?

blposman 10-25-2020 02:01 PM

ok. got it. Now i just have to find the Reverse Polarity fuse. It doesn't seem to be apparent in the fuse panel as your picture clearly shows. Must be elsewhere and I'll start hunting for it.

wmtire 10-25-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blposman (Post 2439554)
ok. got it. Now i just have to find the Reverse Polarity fuse. It doesn't seem to be apparent in the fuse panel as your picture clearly shows. Must be elsewhere and I'll start hunting for it.

If you look at the second picture in that post it shows where the reverse polarity fuses can be on the converter itself.

Danesville 10-26-2020 03:11 PM

fuses are on the converter, also do you have a store/in use switch near your stairs? if so always push into use mode for converter to charge house batteries

CedarCreekWoody 10-26-2020 03:14 PM

Note it is fuses, not fuse. There are two of them.