Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Flagstaff (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Put Fan in Rear Vent 5th Wheel (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/put-fan-in-rear-vent-5th-wheel-219491.html)

Kevin Johnson 10-26-2020 05:08 PM

Put Fan in Rear Vent 5th Wheel

Hi,

I have a 2019 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8529RKBS (5th wheel). The main room has a vent in the roof near the back of the trailer. Does anyone know how to get 12 volt power to that vent so I can put in a remote control electric fan?

Bama Rambler 10-27-2020 09:22 AM

According to what I found about that unit the vent has power already ran to it. Have you pulled the trim down to see if there's wiring already there?

If there's not for some reason, you might be able to route wiring from the ceiling fan location to the rear vent.

5picker 10-28-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bama Rambler (Post 2440758)
According to what I found about that unit the vent has power already ran to it. Have you pulled the trim down to see if there's wiring already there?

If there's not for some reason, you might be able to route wiring from the ceiling fan location to the rear vent.

Agreed.
I have a 2016 Flagstaff with no fan in the rear vent opening.
I did pull the trim ring down and there is power there.
I've not installed a vent fan there as I already have three others but easily could.

Kevin Johnson 10-28-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bama Rambler (Post 2440758)

The ceiling fan is 120vAC, and my vent fan is 12vDC. Maybe they have run 12 volt lines there?

Keep in mind that this ceiling has the airflow "racetrack" vents which surround the vent.

I see no wires when the "ceiling garnish" is removed, but there is a hole between the styrofoam and the plywood in one corner (the corner towards the front and the door), but there are no wires in it.

tahoe1840 10-29-2020 06:18 PM

We have a 2015 Flagstaff RK model and I put in a Fantastic Vent remote control fan in the rear vent in the kitchen area. I tapped into the nearby 12 volt ceiling light wiring for the power need. I pushed a fish tape through the styrofoam insulation to the 12 volt light and pulled back a string to fish a wire back to the light. Worked great. I hope you to have that 12 volt light near by.

Kevin Johnson 10-30-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tahoe1840 (Post 2442326)
We have a 2015 Flagstaff RK model and I put in a Fantastic Vent remote control fan in the rear vent in the kitchen area. I tapped into the nearby 12 volt ceiling light wiring for the power need. I pushed a fish tape through the styrofoam insulation to the 12 volt light and pulled back a string to fish a wire back to the light. Worked great. I hope you to have that 12 volt light near by.

So does the light have to be on for the fan to operate?

Thank you,

Kevin

tahoe1840 10-30-2020 11:07 AM

On ours, the light does not have to be on since the switch is integrated into the light's body. In other words it is not switched from a wall switch. One wire into the light is hot and the other is a neutral or back to ground. I would test your wires with a 12 volt tester or a muti meter before cutting.

Kevin Johnson 11-01-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tahoe1840 (Post 2442762)
On ours, the light does not have to be on since the switch is integrated into the light's body. In other words it is not switched from a wall switch. One wire into the light is hot and the other is a neutral or back to ground. I would test your wires with a 12 volt tester or a muti meter before cutting.

Ok. All my ceiling lights are on wall switches by the door. This is probably why the manufacturer did not bother running 12 volts to that vent. I might just have to bring it in and have the pros do it.

TowPro 11-01-2020 06:33 PM

When do you plan yo use this fan?

If its for awake hours use the power vent on the front vent as an outlet, than open the windows in the rear area as an inlet the air vent has the same affects but you don't have to listen to the fan motor noise sitting in the back.

But if its for sleeping open only bedroom windows and put fan motor in other end of rv vent

Kevin Johnson 11-01-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TowPro (Post 2443980)
When do you plan yo use this fan?

If its for awake hours use the power vent on the front vent as an outlet, than open the windows in the rear area as an inlet the air vent has the same affects but you don't have to listen to the fan motor noise sitting in the back.

But if its for sleeping open only bedroom windows and put fan motor in other end of rv vent

I had already replaced the vent in the bedroom with an air conditioner. In the summer heat in Las Vegas, two ACs are required. The vent I am replacing now is more to have a remote be able to open and close it, as it needs a step ladder to open and close it manually.

TowPro 11-01-2020 08:24 PM

A 1" ABS pipe with a slot cut in end to go over crank handle works also.

5picker 11-01-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TowPro (Post 2444030)
A 1" ABS pipe with a slot cut in end to go over crank handle works also.

X2
I made one many years ago out of scrap 3/4" PVC and still use it to this day.

nayther 11-09-2020 05:39 PM

Which fan is best? I'm looking to add one. Since can't reach it without a step stool I want one with an infrared remote.

Also where do I find 12v ceiling fans? Had one in our last toy hauler and loved it

5picker 11-10-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayther (Post 2448011)
Which fan is best? I'm looking to add one. Since can't reach it without a step stool I want one with an infrared remote.

Also where do I find 12v ceiling fans? Had one in our last toy hauler and loved it

I like the MaxxFan Deluxe 7000/7500. Available a lot of places including eTrailer and Amazon. Low profile and by design, needs no cover. Comes with a nice remote.

Looks like eTrailer has several 12v wood blade type ceiling fans as does Amazon.
Here... let me Google search that for you...
12v RV ceiling fan